OS X tutorial needed

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm wondering is there an online tutorial? As there is Rute Tutorial for Linux. My iMac is fairly old and a little tuning would do great deal of good. The trouble is I'm a complete noob.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Mac 101

and

Switch 101.

These would be your best bet.

And, as Switch 101 puts it, welcome to the Mac family!
  • Reply 2 of 6
    bluesblues Posts: 40member
    Thanks for reply and welcome. I think I was a little laconic about my problem. As I wrote my iMac is old. It has a 233 MHz CPU, I just overclocked it to 300 MHz and this brought some life into it. Now 10.3 runs without too annoying delays and I'd start learning Mac's way of life. However, my box has only 160 MB of RAM and I believe further improvements in speed are possible by disabling some unneeded services. For example, I installed iTunes (out of curiosity). Unfortunately iTunes is unable to play my music files and I would like to get rid of it - top shows it is partially loaded into RAM. But I do not know how Since it is BSD there should be /etc/rc.d/* and /etc/rc.conf and maybe /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*. But there isn't. I cannot find where those services are started from. As I wrote I'm a noob in Mac field. Then again, there should be /boot/loader.conf and /etc/sysctl.conf ... there isn't. Obviously all this config stuff is somewhere - how can I find it? This is why I needed a Mac tutorial.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Generally, n00bs shouldn't be messing around killing random processes they don't understand, nor should they be borking the system in an attempt to outthink the coders at Apple who do a fair bit of engineering to make a stable OS.

If your iTunes isn't playing mp3 files, you may need a permissions repair or a reinstall of it and/or the QT understructure it calls, but it links in with other iLife apps, so I wouldn't go trying to remove it willy-nilly.

As for RAM... your 233 iMac will actually support higher capacity RAM sticks. There are folks who run 256MB sticks in each slot... of course this isn't officially supported, but there are users on this board who have done it, IIRC... and you're out of warranty anyway, so that isn't an issue.

David Pogue's "Missing Manual" is recommended as a good printed OS X guide... you might be able to find a used copy for Panther cheap somewhere.

YMMV
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

[B]Generally, n00bs shouldn't be messing around killing random processes they don't understand, nor should they be borking the system in an attempt to outthink the coders at Apple who do a fair bit of engineering to make a stable OS.

Cool. I do not attempt to kill anything but shut down. And not random processes. Only the processes I do not need. And I'm not outthinking Apple programmers - I'm customizing and optimizing my installation. And I have fair POSIX experience so I certainly won't kill anything unknown to me - if there is any.

Quote:

If your iTunes isn't playing mp3 files, you may need a permissions repair or a reinstall of it and/or the QT understructure it calls, but it links in with other iLife apps, so I wouldn't go trying to remove it willy-nilly.

You are assuming something ... but you are assuming wrong. My music files are located in my home router and served over http. So I can listen them barely by clicking a link to a playlist in a web browser - no matter where I am, home or visiting friends. Cannot link to this web page here - copyright blah blah. My files are playable even from Windows, only that shining iTunes refuses to play.

Quote:

As for RAM... your 233 iMac will actually support higher capacity RAM sticks. There are folks who run 256MB sticks in each slot... of course this isn't officially supported, but there are users on this board who have done it, IIRC... and you're out of warranty anyway, so that isn't an issue.

Thanks, but I prefer to free up the memory instead of adding.

Quote:

David Pogue's "Missing Manual" is recommended as a good printed OS X guide... you might be able to find a used copy for Panther cheap somewhere.

Thank you. But I'm starting to understand this is maybe wrong forum to ask questions and I'm not sure if this "Missing Manual" is what I'm looking for.

I'm sure I can find all these startup scripts and config files in my own. I posted the question here in hope I could speed up this process. Sorry again.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    There are plenty of smart folks here, but your thread title wasn't very descriptive, so it may take a while for people to discover what you're seeking. Also, few of us are actually psychic, so you'll generally have better success by clearly explaining the problem up front.

Give it time.

With regard to specific iTunes issues over networks, you might also check Apple's support site for iTunes...

If you can't find it there, try searching their forums.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I see. Now I can see my mistake. I did not consider the spirit of these forums when posting. I am used to BSD and Gentoo forums where kernel hacking is considered normal thing and the word "tutorial" has clearly different meaning. Thank you for enlightenment.