Playstation Three(3){PS3}

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
well rumors say many things and i cant make much sense of anything that i see. I'm hearing a PS3 release possible for anywhere from march(this month) until september. anyone have any idea when and where PS3 will be released... my highest system is currently PS1 and i wanna skip the second generation but am growing impatient

or is waiting even worth it and you would better reccomend a XBOX 360... which i'm quite leery about

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

well rumors say many things and i cant make much sense of anything that i see. I'm hearing a PS3 release possible for anywhere from march(this month) until september. anyone have any idea when and where PS3 will be released... my highest system is currently PS1 and i wanna skip the second generation but am growing impatient

or is waiting even worth it and you would better reccomend a XBOX 360... which i'm quite leery about

It was just officially delayed until Christmas.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl...6/03/06/123258
  • Reply 2 of 29
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    dammnnnnn
  • Reply 3 of 29
    about your third option on your poll:

don't most people here waiting for ps3 already have a ps2?
  • Reply 4 of 29
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I don't care about either. I'm getting a Nintendo Revolution. When the Mac Mini includes Blu-Ray I'll get one of those and hook it up to my TV rather than a standalone Blu-Ray player.

The Revolution should be in the poll options.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    I have a PS2 and a Mac Mini just now and I'm content. I'm not one for buying into hype and I'm not impressed with either the PS3 or the introduction of HD. I'm just getting into the way of using DVDs to their fullest and it would take far too much unnecessary expense to embrace HD. New displays + new drives + more expensive discs = slightly better quality. Nah.

I've never yet watched a DVD and thought that the quality wasn't good enough for me. I don't even think that about PS2 games. I still think games like Burnout and Gran Tourismo look great.

I'll be with PS2 games and DVD for a few years yet.

The trouble with the image quality until now hasn't just been resolution anyway. It's that crappy LCD technology. It just makes colours so washed out. Hopefully SED displays (like flat panel CRTs) will possibly be introduced later this year to sort things out.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

The trouble with the image quality until now hasn't just been resolution anyway. It's that crappy LCD technology. It just makes colours so washed out. Hopefully SED displays (like flat panel CRTs) will possibly be introduced later this year to sort things out.

For small displays, sure, but for large projection displays resolution is king.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    If you have an HD or digital TV you will want HD content, trust me.

My GameCube and DVD player will output 480p (aka ED) content and while it looks better than analog SD content, it is not nearly as good as HD. I hope I'll be content with the Revolution's output as it should be limited to 480p as well, perhaps a mistake.

Also interesting is how my tastes for compression have changed. I used to hate seeing compression artifacts on my TV, but once you have a digital TV, the analog noise looks far worse than the occasional compression blockiness. I've come 180 degrees and now prefer a digital SD signal over the analog signal.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    My Xbox 360 hasn't had a new game since launch I'm afraid. Things on the horizon are looking okay, but we're in a post launch drought of sorts right now. Add in the fact that my copy of Madden 2006 was damaged (returned it for a new copy, then returned the new copy for my money back), Perfect Dark Zero just isn't that good, and while Call of Duty 2 is an excellent game, I finished it months ago and there's only so many times I'm going to play through the campaign.

Someone brought Dead or Alive 4 over the other day, very fun and on my HDTV, it really looked like the best coin op game I'd ever seen. I'm debating about whether to pick it up now or wait for a price drop, though, since $60 for a video game still seems steep to me.

As for the PS3, I'll be picking one up at launch as long as it doesn't carry a crazy price tag. I'm disappointed that they backed away from 1080p as I have a 1080p HDTV, but 1080i and 720p do look good enough for now and I know 1080p content will arrive at some point (this TV is going to last me for a long time anyway). We probably won't see any new info about the PS3 until E3.

Revolution? I'll pick one up as well if the gameplay looks good. Supporting only up to 480p is kind of lousy, but they still have time to reconsider. I'm not sure why Nintendo is going for niche markets. First the DS with the dual screens and touchpad, now the Revolution with it's remote like controller. I read that Nintendo is also going to support a controller similar to the one the GameCube has but like the PS3, we probably won't have 'official' information until E3.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Here is what gaming consists of in my house. We have a PS1 with multiple $5 games from the closeout bin of Gamespot. My kids love fighting (Tekken 3), racing (mostly Crash Team Racing and Toystory Racing) and various platformers (Crash, Spyro, Tomba, etc.)

My wife discovered we had loads of credit card points on our account. We had so many that it gave us a free GameCube and five games (Super Mario Sunshine, Mario Double Kart). I've purchased a few more at $5-10 like Soul Caliber 2, Starfox, etc.

I think you guys spending insane money on the latest and greatest are fantastic. I'm going to be happy sitting a few years behind the curve for 90% less cost.

Nick
  • Reply 10 of 29
    The new gaming systems are producing too much heat for me. My equipment is in a closet, and it already gets too hot in there - I may have to add a vented fan in the roof before I can get a PS3 or Xbox360.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I had been a fence rider about this until recently. For me it comes down to one thing, Halo.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

The new gaming systems are producing too much heat for me. My equipment is in a closet, and it already gets too hot in there - I may have to add a vented fan in the roof before I can get a PS3 or Xbox360.

interesting... it certainly brings a new meaning to a closet gamer
  • Reply 13 of 29
    when is this E3 you speak of anyhow???
  • Reply 14 of 29
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    poll option 4: Build your own gaming PC and save loads of money by buying used PC games off e-bay from people who buy, rip, copy, and then sell the originals

Use SOME of that money to keep upgrading the thing every 6 months--leaving the xbox 360 in the dust.

imagine all the games you miss out on by buying a console instead of a PC--games like superpower 1 and 2 (which sold for only $30) and the ENTIRE civilization series.

Lower budget but excellent games come out for PC at bargain prices all the time.

More games, better games, and an open/upgradable architecture for less money. This is why I own a PC.. well that and I need to run the latest version of windows and IE as a web developer.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    I went the XBox 360 route. The games look awesome in 720p on my 42" Samsung DLP. I can game wirelessly from the comfort of my couch as opposed to hunched over at the computer station.

There are of course pros & cons to console over PCs. One big pro is standardized hardware and development environment. Of course the flip side is the hardware (other then HDD) cannot be upgraded. But, another plus is over time developers learn to wring more performance out of the hardware because their familiarity with it grows over time.

Another area of contention is input devices. With consoles you have the controller or steering wheel device. With PCs you have these as well as kayboard/mouse input. There are certain games that cannot be played without a keyboard like um, Zork! (just kidding ) Seriously, real time strategy games are keyboard bound because you need to be able to do multiple things quickly (hence the RTS aspect). This would be difficult to impossible on a controller.

For me, I don't want to sink $1K as a starting point to play games, then have to upgrade when the newest "Must have" game comes down the pike. I'd rather use a game console.

There's been a lull in X360 games since its introduction, but with Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter out this week and Elder Scrolls:Oblivion out on the 20th I know what I'll be doing with my free time (from midnight to 3AM on Fridays ). Between these two games and Kameo and all the other great games coming out this year I'm very excited to be an X360 owner.

[edit]

I thought of another pro for the X360. If a game is Live Enabled, then features like voice chat are just there. No fussing with a 3rd party program that may work with your game, or hoping the game developer adds this functionality themselves. Beats trying to type messages to other online players or building a config file to bind aliases and such.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by slughead

More games, better games, and an open/upgradable architecture for less money. This is why I own a PC.. well that and I need to run the latest version of windows and IE as a web developer.

You can't play FIFA or Gran Turismo on the PC. The library argument goes both ways, but if you like mouse games the most, then obviously a PC is what you want. Personally, I think mouse games take too long and require much too much of a time investment to be very fun.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

It was just officially delayed until Christmas.

Which means Halo 3 is delayed until Christmas.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    If Halo 3 is actually comes out on Christmas, that'll be a really sad day for the quality of the Halo franchise.

I don't think they even have the story sketched out yet.

Tim - I recomment the Xbox 360 over the PS3, simply because it's out now, it's cheap, it has a bunch of good titles coming out such as Halo 3 and Gears Of War, and already has a bunch of fun games like Project Gotham Racing and Perfect Dark.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Well, Halo 3 may actually be delayed until 2007. Senor Gates said Halo 3 would be released when the PS3 was, but Bungie said that was a crock of fecal matter. Bungie says it'll be released when it's ready.

Gears of War won't be out until June/July at the earliest, and rumors are floating of GoW being delayed until September.

All I know is I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of GR:AW. That game looks schweet! Oh yeah, can't forget about Oblivion coming out on the 20th either. Those two games will probably hold me over until GoW, especially now that I finaly got the damn Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah in Hexic HD last night.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    I broke down today and purchased DOA 4 for the 360. I had a Gamestop gift card so I'm trying to convince myself that it only cost $10. I couldn't remember when I got the gift card and was afraid it might expire, so I figured, what the heck?

I'm waiting to read some of the Ghost Recon reviews before buying it, and since I also don't have Xbox Live right now so it's probably better for me to wait.