FREE software that replaces MS Office

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
hey guys just wanted to show you all this software. this is something that basically replaces microsoft office. it is completely FREE. everyone benefits from threatning the big companies with competition and microsoft has resently made public statements belittleing this site/product. it obviously shows their fear, and just like with the adobe replacer (found in this thread)

http://www.openoffice.org/

the only thing people dont seem to like is the interface but it has most features office has and is more stable according to many reports and it can read microsoft office formats and works for both windows and mac! enjoy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    I've tried that before, but as much as I hate to say it Microsoft Office is far superior.

Aswell as the interface not being as good there said to be annoying compatibility problems when you use Microsoft Office documents with Open Office, or vice versa.

I dont mind paying for good software, it's worth it.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by smclintock

I've tried that before, but as much as I hate to say it Microsoft Office is far superior.

Aswell as the interface not being as good there said to be annoying compatibility problems when you use Microsoft Office documents with Open Office, or vice versa.

I dont mind paying for good software, it's worth it.

sure you dont mind, but most people who buy office pay for features they dont really use. also, i dont see how you can have problems with this product, the majority of users actually find it more stable than office (me included). ive opened up files in open office that microsoft word wouldnt take or crashed with. its actually more compatible with microsofts own format than microsoft itself is, as far as my experience is concerned. im willing to bet you dont use 90 percent of the features in office on a regular basis as well. if you do, then i guess thats why you would pay for such a thing. but most open just need a simple solution for their everyday tasks and this more than accounts for all of them at a price that cant be beat. dont hate man, appreciate. these people arent even asking for your money so why would you want to give em a hard time for doing something out of the kindness of their heart? (has microsoft ever done that for you? so why stick up for them, someone who manipulates not only the individual, but the law of the land, for profit while dissing someone whos trying to do something good for people.. sometimes i just dont get humanity)
  • Reply 3 of 12
    let me get this straight before we have more of this nonsense.

this thread isnt for people who have money trees, this thread isnt for fanboys, this thread isnt for haters, this thread isnt for people who want to bring down others to bring up their own self esteem, this thread isnt for people like those who have posted so far who dont know how to appreciate the good things in life and hate just for the sake of hating.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chiisuchianu

let me get this straight before we have more of this nonsense.

this thread isnt for people who have money trees, this thread isnt for fanboys, this thread isnt for haters, this thread isnt for people who want to bring down others to bring up their own self esteem, this thread isnt for people like those who have posted so far who dont know how to appreciate the good things in life and hate just for the sake of hating.

And this thread isn't for people who understand capitalization and punctuation.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

And this thread isn't for people who understand capitalization and punctuation.

i think you meant to write use instead of understand, but thats ok, one thing i do understand though is that youre a pseudo intellectual trying to prove your self worth through grammar (what a medium), thus my sympathies go out to your poor and needy soul. *hug*
  • Reply 6 of 12
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Yall are an angry bunch. Don't have a cow man.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    First off, open office isn't exactly a secret, there have been topics discussing it before (search is your friend). With this in mind, it might have been a better idea to just incorporate all your free software into one thread*.

Second, just because someone thinks MS office is superior, it doesn't mean they're implying, "OMG, THIS THREAD SUX MONKEY BALLS, SCREW OPEN OFFICE". They are simply saying they'd rather pay for MS office.

Third, grammar and spelling are both courtesy. They make your posts easier to read and understand. Nobody's going to force you, but it wouldn't hurt.

That said, I use textedit 95% percent of the time, the 5% going to MS for excel and powerpoint (and footnotes in word, they are key).

*The adobe replacement is 60 euros, unless you steal it, but you can do that with adobe products as well.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    While it isn't MS Office. AbiWord is free and one heck of a word processor. I think it is very comparable to Word. You can download it here:

http://www.abisource.com/

Dave
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lupa

First off, open office isn't exactly a secret, there have been topics discussing it before (search is your friend). With this in mind, it might have been a better idea to just incorporate all your free software into one thread*.

Second, just because someone thinks MS office is superior, it doesn't mean they're implying, "OMG, THIS THREAD SUX MONKEY BALLS, SCREW OPEN OFFICE". They are simply saying they'd rather pay for MS office.

Third, grammar and spelling are both courtesy. They make your posts easier to read and understand. Nobody's going to force you, but it wouldn't hurt.

That said, I use textedit 95% percent of the time, the 5% going to MS for excel and powerpoint (and footnotes in word, they are key).

*The adobe replacement is 60 euros, unless you steal it, but you can do that with adobe products as well.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, enjoy your stay.

i never said it was a secret i just simply think we should embrace more of this type of software (open source, independent, free, etc). look at firefox, it really is for the best that we have open source and free projects like this; its the future. screw big software companies, the time for all that is over. its time to move on and this is how. true i should have used search, sorry about that. and thanks for the welcome.

Dave K: that abiword application looks even better than openoffice, thanks for this. im definitely gona check it out.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Chiisuchianu, thanks for the links.

We've seen them before, and had discussions about them before.

But... from the Posting Guidelines, top left of every page:

Quote:

9. Be descriptive with the title of new threads. Do not start a thread with an ambiguous title like "Guess what..." and then use the text portion of the post to explain. Give your post a headline. This courtesy is especially appreciated in the more highly trafficked forums. Furthermore, threads with no original content will not be allowed. Do not post a link or quote an article while contributing little to nothing of your own.

One was enough. Two?

Never forget:

Quote:

12. The quality of this board depends on the quality of the posts.

• Reply 11 of 12
    yea i already apologised for making this thread, no need to bring it up twice. the other one hasnt been discussed (or just doesnt come out in search) so that ones ok.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    While it's OK, it's not the best out there. At this point I prefer Pages and it costs $79 and comes with Keynote. Still cheaper than MS Office. I really hope though that Open Office continues to refine their OS X version that will eventually be converted to a Cocoa application that uses all the built in services that the MacOS provides.