Red Eye Removal

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I really, really hate the red-eye removal on newer iPhoto versions. It used to work much better a couple of years ago. I was wondering:

1) Is there some special technique to it that I'm not getting?

2) Can anyone recommend a simple (preferably freeware) app that does good red-eye removal?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    It was a lot better a couple of versions ago where you would circle the area you wanted to fix rather then mark it (with the +) and let iPhoto work it out. I'm afraid there is no new technique, it's just worse.

DK
  • Reply 2 of 7
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    I had one picture where removing the red eye caused artifacts outside the eye - but I did a series of "undo/repeat" bits, and by moving the crosshairs around I managed to get rid of red eye without the problem.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    to be honest it just makes the person look MORE scary than with the red eye!

photoshop elements for me i think
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Yeah, I loved the old version too. It didn't work every time, but it worked most of the time.

The new system almost never works, and when it does it makes the person look like a scary cyborg.

The photoshop system is great, but it's such overkill just for that one function. It's also not something I could recommend to friends who are not as good with computers. A simple one-trick app would be great.

I know there are lots of programmers on this board - any takers? 8)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Any theories as to why Apple went from an arguably superior to inferior method between the old iPhoto and the new?

It sure baffles me.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mr skillsmr skills Posts: 144member
    Funny how everyone agrees that the new system is rubbish. I was half expecting/hoping that someone would say "No, you idiot, you're doing it wrong" and all would be solved...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr Skills

The new system almost never works, and when it does it makes the person look like a scary cyborg.

Resistance is futile. You will use iPhoto and like it.