OMG iMovie

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok, so I have a 30 min school project movie and I made some changes after burning a disk and I upon opening it it said that the project was "unreadable" what happened and what can I do to get my hours of work back for my final project??

edit: please help, the folder for my movie is still in the movies folder of my home menu. the iMovie file is still there but fails to open. the quicktime movie is corrupt and can't be read. there is still the media folder and the audiowaveforms folder. running iMovie 4 with 10.3.9

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-am-an-elf

ok, so I have a 30 min school project movie and I made some changes after burning a disk and I upon opening it it said that the project was "unreadable" what happened and what can I do to get my hours of work back for my final project??

edit: please help, the folder for my movie is still in the movies folder of my home menu. the iMovie file is still there but fails to open. the quicktime movie is corrupt and can't be read. there is still the media folder and the audiowaveforms folder. running iMovie 4 with 10.3.9

Load your backup...

You did make a backup, right?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Load your backup...

You did make a backup, right?

yes but i saved the changes to both cause everything appeared fine in iMovie and everything worked fine until the next day when i reopened it. both have the same problems.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    How much free space do you have on the drive?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

How much free space do you have on the drive?

40 Gigs 40.55 according to "get info" on an 80 gig HD
  • Reply 5 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by i-am-an-elf

40 Gigs 40.55 according to "get info" on an 80 gig HD

Ok, that's good to hear. I know that if you fill up your drive you can get all sorts of random issues with preferences and saved files getting corrupted. But it doesn't sound like that's your problem.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    well i found all the clips and edits and sound effects in the media folder and I draggd theem over to imovie and they imported in about 5 minutes and I am working (hard) to pu tem in order and seperate all the uasble clips from the outtakes. that is what I don't understand: all the files are good to go, but iMovie won't open it up. i'll just have to do this the hard long way. please, if anyone has an idea about what the problem is given the files in the media folder exist and work.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    - does iMovie open other files in the same folder? If not, trash iMovie's prefs (com.apple.imovie4.plist in Library/Preferences)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

- does iMovie open other files in the same folder? If not, trash iMovie's prefs (com.apple.imovie4.plist in Library/Preferences)

yes, it does. i have access to all the clips. any ideas about what caused it? cause i've spent the hours fixing it and it's over with but I now want to be sure I don't do it again
  • Reply 9 of 9
    update: i deleted the corrupted file and all of its contents, i think, and iMovie is still acting wierd. i havn't noticed anything else acting up. anyway, when i render some of my clips, putting titles darken, rain etc. often the clip will play as being just black, but, the wierd part is when you click on that specific clip, not changing anything just clicking on it, it WILL play normally. again it won't play when played with the rest of the movie. annoying, but not too problematic, just makes me nervous it will crash again.