Connetcting Mac to PC

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an Apple Powerbook and was wondering if I can connect it to a "crippled" PC so the hard drive will show up on my desktop (analogous to Apple's fire wire target mode) via Ethernet to do some diagnostic work on the PC running XP? ...like using Apple's "Connect to Server" mode. Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Depends on how crippled the PC is. It has to boot for you to be able to connect to it.

Maybe someone here knows how to SSH into a Windows machine. I don't know nuttin' about it. But that would allow you to look at the drive (assuming the PC will boot).

If it won't boot you will have to remove the drive and put it into a FireWIre or USB housing to read it on the PB.

If the drive is already shared on the PC, I think the syntax in Connect to Server is

smb://

with the name and share name in there somehow.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    if the pc won't start you could also try booting it off one of these knoppix live cds. the live cd comes with diagnosis and recovery tools.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    buy a firewire cable and one of these.. or, if the thing is SATA, you'll have to pay a bit more.

Simply connect a power cable from the PC's PSU to the HD, connect the above device to the ide slot, and turn the PC on (it wont boot but it'll supply power).

Or connect the HD to another PC and use windows networking and samba (already mentioned).. but beware of viruses