Apple World Wide Developers Conference 2006 slated for August

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The event will be held on August 7-11 in San Francsico.

Here the link to the site! http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/index.html

I can't wait to find out about Leopard and all the new goodies Apple has for us. This will be a very good year

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Bring on the new finder!!!
  • Reply 2 of 42
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
  • Reply 3 of 42
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Absolutely.

WWDC is usually in June. A postponement to August is Apple's way of showing, very early, when the new Power Macs will be here.

No more excuses. If they didn't know already, developers now have six months notice of when Power Macs will ship.
  • Reply 4 of 42
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I suspect the delay has more to do with Mac OS X Leopard than the new Mac Pro towers. This pushes the event closer to Vista's release date, giving MS less time to "start their photocopiers" and giving Apple a slight advantage.

The new towers however are tied to a number of things, primarily Intel's processors. If quad G5s trounce any MacIntel machine, why would you want the MacIntel over the quad? However, I'd think the new towers would feature more improvements than we're currently thinking, like updated graphics cards and displays that are HDMI capable and Blu-Ray burners for example. The new Pro machines have to make waves and wow everyone, Mac and PC users alike.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Bring on the new finder!!!

Oh now you're asking for it! <takes gloves off>
  • Reply 6 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I suspect the delay has more to do with Mac OS X Leopard than the new Mac Pro towers. This pushes the event closer to Vista's release date, giving MS less time to "start their photocopiers" and giving Apple a slight advantage.

my first thought as well
  • Reply 7 of 42
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    I wonder why the date was pushed back from June when WWDC usually occurs.

Perhaps they had some cool new features in leopard they really wanted to show off that simply wouldn't be ready in time.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple today announced that its 2006 Worldwide Developer Conference (WWDC) will take place in August, about two months later than usual.

The developer gathering is slated for August 7 - 11 at an unspecified venue in San Francisco, Calif., believed to be the Moscone Center.

The annual conference, which usually takes place in June, will offers in-depth sessions, unique insight, and access to Apple engineers.

Traditionally, Apple has used the conference to highlight major advancements to its Macintosh operating system. However, last year, the company used the forum to unveil its plans to transition its Macintosh computer line to Intel processors.

Early registration for the show runs through June 23 and offers developers a $300 discount on all packages.

Apple is also offering two additional promotions: a WWDC 2006 E-ticket and ADC Select Membership for $2000 ($100 discount) and WWDC 2006 E-ticket 5-pack for $6,380 ("buy four, get a fifth free"). During early registration, these packages are discounted by $300 and $1,200, respectively.

"WWDC 2006 is a perfect opportunity to take your work to the next level," the company wrote on its developer Web site. "Discover tools and techniques for optimizing your code on Intel-based Macs, explore best practices for choosing and using the latest APIs, and learn how to make the most of the technologies and services built into MacÂ*OSÂ*X."
  • Reply 9 of 42
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Well, I already posted this in MacCentral, but it's got the same point here as well:

"August?

I've just been thinking that this conference will highlight Leopard, as we would expect to, but an August date has me confused.

This a full two months later than usual.

The reasons I can think of are:

1. The OS is running late, and they won't have a developer beta until then.

2. They pushed it back because they want to announce the new Powermacs, and the chips have been pushed back, as you can read about today.

I very much hope it's the latter. Otherwise, the chance for a 2006 release for the OS seems to be fading. This gives the developers little time to revise their software."
  • Reply 10 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Oh now you're asking for it! <takes gloves off>

My first thoughts aswell too.

Vista is already copying OSX, judging by CES.
  • Reply 11 of 42
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Entire line to Intel by August 7th.

xserves, powermacs ibooks promacs, probooks.

Leopard preview.

new things.

just in time for Sept and the holiday season.

WooT

I suspect that there will be some new and interesting things every other month till August.

April 1?

June1?- perhaps the opening of the Apple Flagship Store Manhattan with new releases (supplants MWNY)

August 7 WWDC

October - new ipod and commercial stuff for the holidays.

January MWSF- Leopard

• Reply 12 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Entire line to Intel by August 7th.

xserves, powermacs ibooks promacs, probooks.

Leopard preview.

new things.

just in time for Sept and the holiday season.

WooT

I suspect that there will be some new and interesting things every other month till August.

April 1?

June1?- perhaps the opening of the Apple Flagship Store Manhattan with new releases (supplants MWNY)

August 7 WWDC

October - new ipod and commercial stuff for the holidays.

January MWSF- Leopard

This is pretty much what I was thinking too.

I still wonder, though, if it gives developers enough time for January. That's not much more than 4 months away. If there are any major new features that require developer support to function, it could be a problem, because major developers will still be working on Universal binaries. That could slow them up even further.
  • Reply 13 of 42
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

I very much hope it's the latter. Otherwise, the chance for a 2006 release for the OS seems to be fading. This gives the developers little time to revise their software.

It depends on how much changes underneath that developers need to revise software for. Apple said with 10.4 that they weren't going to break the API from now on. The kernel was sorted. They were fibbing slightly as there are APIs that aren't final still - Spotlight springs to mind.

If Apple isn't breaking things in 10.5 then there's no need for developers to update their code.

We can still speculate on what does get added to 10.5 though - like a device independent UI and a new Finder. I suspect that the delay is because of Intel's NGMA chips though. Or perhaps that's the date Adobe says it'll have CS3 ready too - ready for OSX 10.5 only.
  • Reply 14 of 42
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I figure that leopard will be released after mwsf in January. Probably shipping February or so.

It may even be pushed back slightly to take the thunder from Vista.

We can see now that MS wants to be right behind Apple not too far ahead. MS is totally afraid of a major release of (A tiger rip off) their new OS and Apple comes out of the box with a show stopper.

Look at what they didn't do with Origami after Apple announced the "Fun" event.
  • Reply 15 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

It depends on how much changes underneath that developers need to revise software for. Apple said with 10.4 that they weren't going to break the API from now on. The kernel was sorted. They were fibbing slightly as there are APIs that aren't final still - Spotlight springs to mind.

If Apple isn't breaking things in 10.5 then there's no need for developers to update their code.

We can still speculate on what does get added to 10.5 though - like a device independent UI and a new Finder. I suspect that the delay is because of Intel's NGMA chips though. Or perhaps that's the date Adobe says it'll have CS3 ready too - ready for OSX 10.5 only.

That's the point! It depends on what Apple does. It's not possible to "freeze" the API's. They can leave the vast majority alone, but the genetics of software evolution makes it impossible to simply add to the design without altering some other area. At some point, for the reason of keeping the OS from tangling itself up in complexity, Apple will have to alter or drop some of them.

Even additions can cause problems.

I'm not sure if CS3 could only support 10.5. That would be cutting it too close. Perhaps, 10.4.7, or some other update to 10.4. Some new features might only be supported by 10.5?if Adobe has the time to incorporate them.
  • Reply 16 of 42
    Clearly they pushed it back because of the world cup.

• Reply 17 of 42
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Glad I'm getting my Powermac off my hands next weekend.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nine-Seventy

Clearly they pushed it back because of the world cup.

I suppose that's a more valid reason than the World Series.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    What is the chances of a Merom powerbook released at that event? THat could be the time to visit USA for me.
  • Reply 20 of 42
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

What is the chances of a Merom powerbook released at that event? THat could be the time to visit USA for me.

Well, both Conroe and Merom have been pushed back. Unless that changes again, it's hard to say. If the chip isn't there...

I haven't had time. Indeed, I'm leaving for the evening right after this post, but check out what's happening at Intel's conference today. We might learn about the timing.