Where do you put your dock?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Where do you put your dock?

Hidden? Magnification? Left? Right? Bottom?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Always visible, at the bottom...just seemed like the most sensible, and I was tired of having it hidden...it just pissed me off.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Always at the bottom. Sometimes i hide it when i want more screen-estate, but I tend to turn hiding of after a while as it pisses me of as well after some time.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Always visible, at the bottom...just seemed like the most sensible, and I was tired of having it hidden...it just pissed me off.

Yes.

My old Ti PowerBook has it hidden because the resolution -- 1152x768 -- is so low. But on my 20" display I keep it visible all the time so I don't have to deal with it constantly sliding in and out. Annoying!
  • Reply 4 of 45
    rraburrabu Posts: 264member
    Left and hidden. No accidentally hitting it when going for resize widget on windows this way. Also don't have to worry about "bad apps" that size their windows below the dock making access to some of the window impossible.

Hidden because the size of an iBook screen is quite small; every pixel counts.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by dutch pear

Always at the bottom. Sometimes i hide it when i want more screen-estate, but I tend to turn hiding of after a while as it pisses me of as well after some time.

Same here. On a 15" Ali PB.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    On my iBook, hidden.

On my 20" iMac, large, in charge, and visible. Bottom, of course.

Hint: Option-Command-D makes your dock hidden/showing.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Left and visible.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Left and visible.

Ditto
  • Reply 9 of 45
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Right side, up top. Always visible on my work iMac G5, hidden on my personal PB G4 12"
  • Reply 10 of 45
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    I always place my dock on the bottom, since the aspect ratio of computer monitors, particularly wide-screen monitors such as the one on my powerbook, provides the user with more horizontal space than vertical having the dock on the bottom lets you access it with much less mouse movement. I change the visibility regularly based on what I'm doing with the computer, but I usually leave it hidden.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    bottom right. always visible, 16x16 icon size, NO ALIASES, so it ONLY shows running apps and minimized windows. heck, at that size, you can't see the "application running black triangle" anyway. I then use Dragthing to be by app launcher slide-out drawer on the screen side.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:

Originally posted by akheron01

I always place my dock on the bottom, since the aspect ratio of computer monitors, particularly wide-screen monitors such as the one on my powerbook, provides the user with more horizontal space than vertical having the dock on the bottom lets you access it with much less mouse movement. I change the visibility regularly based on what I'm doing with the computer, but I usually leave it hidden.

Interesting how people see the same things differently. For the same reasons as you as far as vertical and horizontal, I keep my dock on the left. My reasoning is there is now more vertical space for web pages and documents. Most documents are vertical in nature, so I feel like I am cutting off the document by using that space for a dock. But to each their own as they say.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    bottom, visible, with slight magnification on.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    I've got mine at the bottom, without any magnification (it's so annoying!!) and set at half the default size due to my 12" screen.

"Post a screenshot of your dock" should be the next question/thread
  • Reply 15 of 45
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    bottom, always visible, no magnification

edit: added a picture

• Reply 16 of 45
    Bottom, hidden, no magnification. I've got a 12" PB, so screen real estate is at a premium.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Right side, very slight magnification, not hidden.

I need the space at the bottom for QuicKeys Toolbar.

The toolbar holds all my QuicKeys macros for:

- typing userID, tab, password, and enter for logging in at those "helpful" websites that disable Safari's Autofill (most banks, etc)

- inserting pairs of quote and unquote tags and bolding and italicizing selected text in forum posts

- muting the speaker when Air America Radio's stream goes to commercial and plays the damn identical Muzak over and over

- typing a carriage return when my keyboard isn't on my lap since the damn address bar in Safari doesn't have a "go" button

- a "Wiki" macro for doing a Wikipedia lookup on whatever text is selected in Safari (next on the list is a "add 'http:/ /' to the selected text and Google it - Safari doesn't recognize "www.xxx.com" as a URL unless it has the freaking "http:/ /" on it, so you have to Google the "www.xxx.com" and then tell Google yes, that is the website I want)

- invoking Snapz Pro so I don't have to reach up and get a hernia pulling the keyboard down onto my lap

- zooming in and out, although I made the fourth mouse button do that as a toggle using QuicKeys together with USB Overdrive
  • Reply 18 of 45
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    On the side of the house with the least wind and the deepest water for my boat.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

On the side of the house with the least wind and the deepest water for my boat.

• Reply 20 of 45
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    bottom, visible, with slight magnification on