Old ADC CTR Display and new Mac Mini Qusetion

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have the last CRT made by Apple with an ADC compatible cable (the one that looks like an alien). I also have an Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter. I want to purchase a new Mac Mini and want to know if I will be able to use the CRT mentioned above with it. Does anybody have any experience with this or a similar setup?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I'm not sure if the DVI-ADC adapter will work with analog displays, like your CRT display. Apple's site say.

Analog output is part of the DVI spec but I'm not sure if the adapter will handle it. The majority of ADC-based displays were digital flat panels.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    masahsmasahs Posts: 6member
    Thanks for the reply. I did read that on the Apple site but just wanted to know if somebody had tried it. I am just hoping that I can buy the mini and not have to buy another monitor since the CRT is perfectly fine.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by masahs

I have the last CRT made by Apple with an ADC compatible cable (the one that looks like an alien). I also have an Apple DVI to ADC Display Adapter. I want to purchase a new Mac Mini and want to know if I will be able to use the CRT mentioned above with it. Does anybody have any experience with this or a similar setup?

Thanks

The monitor should work fine, but you need to have the right adapter.

Apple made both an ADC (computer end) to DVI (monitor end) adapter that came bundled with many Macs as well as a DVI (computer end) to ADC (monitor end) adapter that cost about $100.

As long as you have the latter, so you can plug a DVI cable into the Mac mini, you should be fine.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    masahsmasahs Posts: 6member
    Excellent.. Thanks for the reply.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I almost bought an old Apple CRT to go with my Mini but I only realised that the adaptor with the Mini doesn't fit the ADC cable when I got it home. I took it back and bought a generic refurb CRT and it works great.

17" CRT and it sits comfortably at 1280x1024@85Hz for £35 ('ve had it up to 1920x1200@75Hz). The Apple CRT was only 1024x768 and I would have had to buy another adapter.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    russsrusss Posts: 115member
    According to Apple the answer is no.

Apple displays that are not compatible with the mini: