Verizon Aircard / MacBook Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I first complained about this in a thread either here or at another site, but my wishes were answered.

Verizon now supports EvDO tethering via USB. Fortunately for us, the CS reps don't care or know the difference between USB and bluetooth. I was able to tether my motorola e815 with my MacBook and my iBook without any problems. It is fast, not as fast as the card, but it works well. The only time I use it for high-bandwidth applications is in an emergency and at the rate starbucks and other WAPs are going up, I doubt I will have to use for too many more years.

Unfortunately I am stuck in a contract with Verizon, but I can pay the penatly and get out. On the other hand I read at evdoinfo.com that "Verizon is working hard" to come out with an Express34 solutions for BroadbandAccess services, so I might wait a few weeks and see if there are any more developments in that regard.

Just passing along with info

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    coreycorey Posts: 165member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

I first complained about this in a thread either here or at another site, but my wishes were answered.

Verizon now supports EvDO tethering via USB. Fortunately for us, the CS reps don't care or know the difference between USB and bluetooth. I was able to tether my motorola e815 with my MacBook and my iBook without any problems. It is fast, not as fast as the card, but it works well. The only time I use it for high-bandwidth applications is in an emergency and at the rate starbucks and other WAPs are going up, I doubt I will have to use for too many more years.

Unfortunately I am stuck in a contract with Verizon, but I can pay the penatly and get out. On the other hand I read at evdoinfo.com that "Verizon is working hard" to come out with an Express34 solutions for BroadbandAccess services, so I might wait a few weeks and see if there are any more developments in that regard.

Just passing along with info

Yeah, the EvDO card slot killed the purchase for me. I am using a Sony GSM/EDGE card. I was seriously hoping Apple would build that into the unit. I knew they might not, but I had a dream! I never saw the EvDO card slot coming until it saved me $2500! Well didn't save exactly, but certainly delayed it a while.

I am addicted to having wireless access now so I have to wait! Bah!

Corey
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Like I said, bluetooth is a viable option. I have had my MBP for a few days and the bluetooth modem works great.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Corey

Yeah, the EvDO card slot killed the purchase for me. I am using a Sony GSM/EDGE card. I was seriously hoping Apple would build that into the unit. I knew they might not, but I had a dream! I never saw the EvDO card slot coming until it saved me $2500! Well didn't save exactly, but certainly delayed it a while.

I am addicted to having wireless access now so I have to wait! Bah!

Corey

Huh? EVDO card slot? It's an ExpressCard slot. It's the successor to the Cardbus/PCI Express/PCMCIA slots that are out nowadays. The entire point of card slots is that they aren't specific to one technology. That card slot on the side of the MBP isn't just for EVDO or just for GSM/EDGE. It's a card form factor that allows for hardware manufacturers to create a card that can do anything they want it to do, like add more USB ports, or an 802.11a card or something. The problem is just that it is new enough that we have to wait for hardware manufacturers to get more cards out and support for this type of card.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    That is the problem with us early adobters. I would have been fine with me last model 15" powerbook, but I wanted the macbook. Aside from the speed, it is that I don't want the terrible feeling you get when you walk into a room and someone has a macbook and you don't. You all know what I'm talking about.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

I don't want the terrible feeling you get when you walk into a room and someone has a macbook and you don't. You all know what I'm talking about.

LOL
  • Reply 6 of 6
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    Just got my MBP a couple of hours ago

I think I just might stick with Verizon as my Cell phone provider in the hopes that there will soon be a ExpressCard solution from them... even more money to waste monthly.