Will the new iMac run Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Will the new iMacs run Leopard, or will it strickly be 64bit, though know that I think of it, it probably will, because I heard or read somewhere that leopard will also run on the powerpc chips. can someone back this up? or give me some more info on this stuff. i tried to look it up, but didnt see much on it.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Any iMac with built-in iSight will run Leopard. Fear not.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    The worst case scenario is that Apple doesn't develop a Universal version of Leopard, meaning it won't run on PowerPC-based Macs. I really don't see that happening, though Leopard may be the last Universal .x version of OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    ofcourse it will.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

The worst case scenario is that Apple doesn't develop a Universal version of Leopard, meaning it won't run on PowerPC-based Macs. I really don't see that happening, though Leopard may be the last Universal .x version of OS X.

I agree. Maybe OS X wil be universal at least until 10.7 or 10.8.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Yes, of course.

Leopard will run on a Bondi blue iMac.

I wouldn't want to *use* it, but run it will.

Anyone with less then an iSight iMac will moan that [NewFeatureBlahExtreeeeme] isnt "supported" because their CPU and GPU won't go fast enough, but applications will load, keyboards will work and monitors will glow.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

Anyone with less then an iSight iMac will moan that [NewFeatureBlahExtreeeeme] isnt "supported" because their CPU and GPU won't go fast enough, but applications will load, keyboards will work and monitors will glow.

• Reply 7 of 21
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    You mean I won't be able to run Leopard's 3-D holography using my Pismo Powerbook? F-ing Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0

I agree. Maybe OS X wil be universal at least until 10.7 or 10.8.

I think Apple will remain universal until they make the radical leap at OS XI
  • Reply 9 of 21
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Nope. Apple will keep someone on power in the basement next to the guy updating OS X on AMD and OSX on any other chipset that may come down the road if Intel ends up pulling a MOTO/Freescale on us.

edit. oops, just noticed that you typed os XI.

my post then changes to : Perhaps though I think that they still might hedge their bets on any new chip designs to rule out getting locked into any one manufacturer.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRbetterthanPC

Will the new iMacs run Leopard, or will it strickly be 64bit, though know that I think of it, it probably will, because I heard or read somewhere that leopard will also run on the powerpc chips. can someone back this up? or give me some more info on this stuff. i tried to look it up, but didnt see much on it.

No, you'll have to buy a brand new one !

Ok,,here is some info. In the future Apple will release some more stuff...to run operating systems made by Apple... but you'll still have to buy a brand new one, every time Apple releases some more stuff...to run operating systems made by Apple... but you'll still have to buy a brand new one, every time Apple releases some more stuff...to run operating systems made by Apple... but you'll still have to buy a brand new one, every time Apple releases
  • Reply 11 of 21
    It sucks that the new macs won't run os 9 and 10.0 - 10.3. Sometimes it is nice to go down nostalgia road and run old os versions just to see how far we have come.

Also there were a lot of audio programs and plug-ins that were made for system 9 that never got upgraded to X. I occasionally go back and use them because there is nothing under os X that does what some of those do.

Looks like I am going to have to keep my g5 forever if I want to keep using those programs and plug-ins. Yet another downgrade for the switch to intel.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    brendonbrendon Posts: 642member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

Nope. Apple will keep someone on power in the basement next to the guy updating OS X on AMD and OSX on any other chipset that may come down the road if Intel ends up pulling a MOTO/Freescale on us.

edit. oops, just noticed that you typed os XI.

my post then changes to : Perhaps though I think that they still might hedge their bets on any new chip designs to rule out getting locked into any one manufacturer.

Don't forget the investment Apple made in the later part of '05, VLLVM.

Very Low Level Virtual Machine. Apple bought a company that specialized in this. So the writing is on the wall, if they can get OSX to run on a VLLVM then they only need toport the VLLVM and then take their time porting the rest. This also may be the software behind Rosetta, I say that because I have no idea how Rosetta works, it is not straight up emulation, that I have heard. But a really good VLLVM would make hardware porting quicker and save lots of money in the process.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by European guy

No, you'll have to buy a brand new one !

Ok,,here is some info. In the future Apple will release some more stuff...to run operating systems made by Apple... but you'll still have to buy a brand new one, every time Apple releases some more stuff...to run operating systems made by Apple... but you'll still have to buy a brand new one, every time Apple releases some more stuff...to run operating systems made by Apple... but you'll still have to buy a brand new one, every time Apple releases

See a doctor a.s.a.p!

• Reply 14 of 21
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

It sucks that the new macs won't run os 9 and 10.0 - 10.3. Sometimes it is nice to go down nostalgia road and run old os versions just to see how far we have come.

Also there were a lot of audio programs and plug-ins that were made for system 9 that never got upgraded to X. I occasionally go back and use them because there is nothing under os X that does what some of those do.

Looks like I am going to have to keep my g5 forever if I want to keep using those programs and plug-ins. Yet another downgrade for the switch to intel.

Good that you brought that up.. Everybody gets this nostalgia.. but if Apple wants to move ahead and give us the very best OS they can come up to, they have to make this kind of sacrifices.. I remember OS 8 - 9 and honestly there is no more nostalgia, Mac OS X 10.2 - 10.4 has proved to get better and better.. Faster too!

My point is this: if you have nostalgia, buy a used Mac (dirty cheap one).. pick the one you like and boot up your Mac OS 9.x and enjoy! I guess that selling old computers doesn't apply to Mac users, i get it..

We love our macs and the os in them!!!

xx

About Leopard being "Universal" Well is obvious it will be, is not the same as Classic & X , is just the same OS for two different processors were the software is already been writen for both. I mean, how is Apple going to tell their developers to write "Universal" applications if they're not doing it themselves..?

But for how long will "Universal development will be"? That's the million dollar question!!!

OHH! But for how many processor is OS X beeing written for??

That's the billion dollar 1!!!

It's a great time to be a mac user!

p.s. bring it on!!!

p.s. final edition.. no more editing lol.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Your system will work just fine. Tiger is not a 64 bit operating system and Leopard won't be either. They have 64bit extension support but that is it.

Unless we suddenly expect minimum memory footprint for base systems to be 4GB of RAM this question should never surface.

To quelch any concerns:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...nkElementID_24

Excerpt:

Quote:

64-Bit Support

In Mac OS X version 10.4 and later, the Xcode Tools support the compilation, linking, and debugging of 64-bit binaries using C or C++. In addition to the tools support, the system also includes 64-bit versions of libSystem.dylib, which contains much of the C standard library code, and the Accelerate framework.

Support for 64-bit computing makes it possible to operate on large data sets more efficiently. For more information about creating 64-bit applications, see 64-Bit Transition Guide.

Please read the top page of the 64-bit Transition Guide. It should silence all these unfounded concerns.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

You mean I won't be able to run Leopard's 3-D holography using my Pismo Powerbook? F-ing Apple.

The day the OS doesn´t support any kind of black hardware is the day I leave this platform.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The day the OS doesn´t support any kind of black hardware is the day I leave this platform.

Two words: Spray paint.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

The worst case scenario is that Apple doesn't develop a Universal version of Leopard, meaning it won't run on PowerPC-based Macs. ...

Sure it will. Simple reason: The vast majority of Mac users

is running PPC boxes. They probably won't put off

these ever loyal custumers.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

The day Anders leaves this platform, is the day

the platform becomes anders .
  • Reply 20 of 21
    The question is, is the OS really UB? If it is, how come the recent OS updates had two separate versions for PPC and x86? Shouldn't it be one fat binary?