Anything revolutionary in Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Everyone knows that Windows Vista is just a huge rip-off of Apple's operating system, and are laughing at it and paying it no mind. What worries me about this is this is just like what happened in the 80s, Apple did it first, and better, but Windows still achieved dominance. Fortunately we all know that Apple plans to release the next version of Mac OS X, Leopard, around the same time as Vista is released. I really really hope Apple can find something new to really set Leopard apart.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    I'm thinking maybe emphasis on Media and Living Room / Front Row, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    akheron01akheron01 Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by icfireball

I'm thinking maybe emphasis on Media and Living Room / Front Row, etc.

I don't think Apple will really WOW anybody just by doing their version of the media center PC, Apple has a very good thing going with OS X being so far ahead of Windows right now, but as usual MS has copied everything, we need some really cool operating system features that microsoft will take another 3-5 years to get around to implementing
  • Reply 3 of 13
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    A completely revamped Finder, that would be revolutionary
  • Reply 4 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Two words: debug code.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Actually, we may see this new Meta Browser as part of the finder.

Combines our existing column view with spotlight searching. I like it!
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Actually, we may see this new Meta Browser as part of the finder.

Combines our existing column view with spotlight searching. I like it!

I hope this is true. I have been waiting for the Finder to have a meta-browsing feature since I first used the functionality in iTunes with its "Browse" button.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    how about working ftp in the finder?

or shall we push the boat out and ask for sftp in the finder?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    FTP doesn't belong in the Finder anyway. I don't know why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over FTP in the Finder.

As for metadata browsing...thank fuckin' god it's coming. It should have been in 10.4 but wasn't and because it wasn't, some people hate Spotlight because the only way they know how to use it is via the Spotlight menu in the top right corner which acts like a Google search.

I hope the interface is spruced up a bit though...that one doesn't cut it for me.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I'd like to see

Quartz 2D extreme

Resolution Independence

A revamped finder

A feature where file extensions are linked to a folder. IE all .pdf get sent to "PDF" folder.

Core 3D light. Subset of OpengGL tightly woven into UI.

Faster Kernel
  • Reply 10 of 13
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Resolution Independence

What exactly does resolution independence mean? What is its usefulness? I've seen so many people use it in so many different ways, its lost meaning.

Someone bragged XP is resolution independent. They enlarged an icon, but as it enlarged it aliased and blurred. That's a terrible feature, what is the use of that?

OS X icons and windows look fine from 1024x768 to 2560x1600.

Quote:

A feature where file extensions are linked to a folder. IE all .pdf get sent to "PDF" folder.

You should be able to do this with a smart folder.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    To me resolution independence means I can scale the whole UI and not just icons to match "my" desired size rather than let the pixel per inch dictate how my UI looks. I imagine that in the future we'll have 4k LCD that will look phenomenal but good luck trying to run a UI without resoution independent scaling.

Quote:

You should be able to do this with a smart folder

I will certainly try. I'm not on OS X yet but my mini purchase is forthcoming. Smart folders would work for me.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

FTP doesn't belong in the Finder anyway. I don't know why everyone gets their panties in a bunch over FTP in the Finder.

Because it's there but half-arsed. If it wasn't there at all, people would complain less.

For the record, I would prefer it was there and working - it would be very useful to mount FTP shares when I'm working on websites. I use Transmit, which is great, but true integration would be better.

Amorya
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Resolution independence means you can have different screens of the same physical size, say 17inch and you can run it at any resolution, say 800x600 or 1024x768 or even 1600x1200 and the display output will appear the same physical size.

So, the letter x might take 10 pixels on a 800x600 resolution, but it will take 20 pixels on a 1600x1200 resolution. Physically, they will remain the same size. That way, running at high resolution does not penalise you with having to squint at smaller font, instead you have the same physical size with much finer detail.

Think printers. They output the same physical size, but they can use an arbitrary number (within limits) of dots to represent the same letter x. Obviously, the more dots you use the better the letter looks. But the final aim is that the PHYSICAL size remains the same.

As for FTP, Finder currently only allows downloads and not uploads. If Finder allowed FTP uploads, there will be little need for .Mac, at least for backup purposes.