Firefox frustrations...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What is the keyboard shortcut to cycle between tabs?

And why, when in almost every other Mac program, on a single line, if you hit the "up" arrow, you go to the beginning of the line, and the "down" arrow you go to the end of the line, doesn't this work this way in Firefox, for instance, in the URL field? It's like using a Windows program!

For instance, if there is a website like this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/index.htm

and I want to go to:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/index.htm

with Safari, I click anywhere in the URL field, hit up,right(x7),shift-right(x3),"forums",Return.

with Firefox, I have to use the mouse to point to the right insertion point. The up and down arrow keys do nothing (useless). Not only that, Firefox leaves cursor artifacts if you use the arrow keys to go left and right.

What's up with that?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

And why, when in almost every other Mac program, on a single line, if you hit the "up" arrow, you go to the beginning of the line, and the "down" arrow you go to the end of the line, doesn't this work this way in Firefox, for instance, in the URL field? It's like using a Windows program!

For instance, if there is a website like this:

http://www.appleinsider.com/index.htm

and I want to go to:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/index.htm

with Safari, I click anywhere in the URL field, hit up,right(x7),shift-right(x3),"forums",Return.

with Firefox, I have to use the mouse to point to the right insertion point. The up and down arrow keys do nothing (useless). Not only that, Firefox leaves cursor artifacts if you use the arrow keys to go left and right.

What's up with that?

Firefox is not really a Mac application. It is assiduously cross-platform, at least that is their story. From where I sit Firefox is intended to solve the problems of a Windows-using websurfers will allowing minimizing the effort required to port the browser to other platforms. Personally, I care about as much for Firefox extensions as a hog cares about Sunday. Gecko-based Camino and Seamonkey both work better on my systems than Firefox.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

[B]Firefox is not really a Mac application.

Yes, yes it is.

Quote:

It is assiduously cross-platform, at least that is their story.

Their "story" is that it's written in XUL, an XML User Interface Language they came up with. All widgets are drawn using XUL, instead of native Aqua, Windows, or GTK/Qt. None of their widgets "fit in" into any of these three OSs. It's not a Mac thing. They're working on it.

Quote:

From where I sit Firefox is intended to solve the problems of a Windows-using websurfers will allowing minimizing the effort required to port the browser to other platforms.[

The browser has been cross-platform since day 1. No "porting" has happened; it's XUL that dictates the way a program written with it looks and feels.

Quote:

Personally, I care about as much for Firefox extensions as a hog cares about Sunday.

So? Don't use them.

Quote:

Gecko-based Camino and Seamonkey both work better on my systems than Firefox.

That's great. But you answered none of the question posed here.

tonton:

They are working on being a better OS X "citizen", just as they're working on being a better XP and Linux citizen. Their latest nightlies for example, support Services, which is something the latest stable version does not. Many of you grievances will be answered by version 2.0.x

'Til then, you can either use the latest nightly build which should solve some of these problems, or you can just use something else; Camino, Shiira, Safari, Opera, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I'd like to air a firefox frustration. I wish that it would integrate with keychain rather than have its own standalone password management system.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Yes, yes it is.

Their "story" is that it's written in XUL, an XML User Interface Language they came up with. All widgets are drawn using XUL, instead of native Aqua, Windows, or GTK/Qt. None of their widgets "fit in" into any of these three OSs. It's not a Mac thing. They're working on it.

I think that we all know about XUL. Certainly I do. That doesn't mean that I don't prefer a binary application that uses native MacOS/MacOS X widgets. I am a Mac user who prefers the Mac way of doing things. I have never liked cross-platform systems that strive to be their own platform rather than conforming to the host OS look and feel. Just one example in the case of Firefox and kin: I knash my teeth every time I see "******" in Gecko password panels rather than the Mac standard "??????." It is just a bit amusing that M$ Windows, including IE, has now adopted Apple's characters for concealing passwords.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    I have tried Camino and like it for what it does, but always end up with firefox as there are a number of extensions I can't live without (e.g. "sage" for in-browser feed-reeding, "add bookmark here" and others).

Something I greatly miss compared to firefox on my work windows machine is the ability to open links as a new tab without using the keyboard: on windows i have set middle-click to open links in a new tab, but i have not yet found a way to do this with my mighty mouse.

Also I have not yet found a theme that makes firefox blend into OSx the way Camino does.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member

fn+ctrl+up arrow / down arrow

This is annoying. But you can use option+right arrow/left arrow to hop around the address.

The extensions are amazing. And I just got some greasemonkey scripts. I can now view only negative ebay feedback in ONE click from any ebay page!!!

--B