Briefly: Intel challenges Apple; MS Origami; paid podcasts?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

Why can't Rush get with it and offer his podcast free like everybody else? Put some ads in there if you want some money, gosh.

Without knowing any actual details, or having bothered to keep up with it, his, and many other programs may be stuck in "old radio" contracts for the time being. Inside Mac Radio apparently has a lot more flexibility, but supposedly it can't go to the feed until after it is broadcast by all of the affilates. NPR and CBC apparently has a lot more flexibility.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Suck.. Suck... Suck

All call centers suck... especially ones in India.

Microsoft's tablet will undoubtedly suck, but they will sell them by the boatload to their many flocks of sheep. (I'm dreaming of a powerful and beautiful tablet mac one day).

All voice activated devices suck. 75% is the highest percentage one has ever worked and even then, one who knows how to use button controls, etc., can usually get things done much more efficiently.
  • Reply 23 of 48
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sjk

If only I'd get Cork whenever I call Apple. They've been consistently competent, with a good sense of humor.

Indeed. The few times I've actually had to call support (Cork) my queries were dealt with efficiently. Other support numbers I've used (based in India) for banking and such have been nothing but bother. If the accent/language barrier doesn't make things difficult then the incompetence of some of the people on the other end of the phone will certainly get you wound up. Maybe not such a good idea Apple \
  • Reply 24 of 48
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyKrz

Suck.. Suck... Suck

But, can you say that into your voice-activated remote?
  • Reply 25 of 48
    godriflegodrifle Posts: 267member
    I just want my iMac Core Duo remote to turn up iTunes in Front Row, not the local computer volume. Sucks to not be able to control the volume remotely when using Air Tunes.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Actually it'd be very nice to have the current remote but also have the voice recognition feature with it.

That way you have both. I do think voice recognition is the future...but some things are just more simple with buttons...like fast-forward and rewind.

But it would be neat to find songs just by naming them...or voicing a keyword to filter to a few songs and then choosing the one you want with the buttons.

Combining voice input and button inputs can be pretty powerful combo.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aegisdesign

Nope. The low worldwide share figure is by UNITS. In the USA and Europe consumers are buying expensive iPods. In Asia they're buying cheap flash players - lots of them.

Comprendo. Thanks for clearing that up. Referring to market share by units seems odd, but that does make the numbers sound more reasonable!
  • Reply 28 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by godrifle

I just want my iMac Core Duo remote to turn up iTunes in Front Row, not the local computer volume. Sucks to not be able to control the volume remotely when using Air Tunes.

Salling clicker does what you want, I just tried it. It requires a compatible Bluetooth phone or PDA and a Bluetooth unit in the computer. It's very flexible. There are people working on Front Row scripts for Salling too, I can't test it though.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Origami looks hot and gimmicky. I might get one.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by AppleInsider

A Microsoft spokesperson told the Associated Press that the device would officially be called the "Ultramobile PC."

Then why did Microsoft go to the trouble of designing a logo especially for the Origami website? Also, check out some of the "program launcher" backgrounds; do the less ugly ones remind you of anything?

http://origamiproject.com/gallery/gallery.aspx
  • Reply 31 of 48
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

Intel challenges Apple on remote design

Apple struggles to boost iPod market share abroad

Apple commanded a 73 percent share of the digital music player market in the United States in 2005, according to research firm NPD. This compares to a 56 percent share in 2004. Its worldwide share, on the other hand, was just under 25 percent in 2005, according to data from iSuppli. The Street estimates that Apple had a 16.5 percent worldwide share in 2004. However, MP3 player sales grew 270 percent from 2004 to 2005 worldwide, while they grew just 170 percent in the U.S.
    [ View this article at AppleInsider.com ]

Not surprising, the main advantage of the iPod is iTMS & outside of the US it's not that great (no TV shows, different music library, poor video collection etc.) To get more global market share Apple needs to get more global

McD
  • Reply 32 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

"The facility will be Apple's first support center outside of its Cupertino, California headquarters."

Are you sure? Whenever I call Apple, I get connected to somebody in Apple's Cork, Ireland support centre. Except last time, they connected me to somebody in India, after I initially spoke to somebody in Ireland. My issue was resolved successfully though.

They also have professional services tech support in Austin.

The article needs better research.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by McDave

Not surprising, the main advantage of the iPod is iTMS & outside of the US it's not that great (no TV shows, different music library, poor video collection etc.) To get more global market share Apple needs to get more global

McD

Then tell that to the portfolio owners who set the boundaries.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Rush... yech. Anyway Air America Radio beat him to to it.

If you signup for "Premium" service, you can then subscribe to password protected podcasts (iTunes prompts you to log before it downloads new episodes). I've been doing this since the 1st of February.

Differance, AA (hah, funny coincidence in names I guess...) gives it away for free, and doesnt have any other value added. For Limbaugh, this is just part of the whole subscribtion, including the show, archives, paroties, and links to every story he mentions on his show...

Like rush or not, it is more than just a paid podcast, think of it like an online version of his magazine thing.

EDIT:

Is this availible for the other Premere radio podcasts? I do subscribe to Bob and Tom and would like this...

• Reply 35 of 48
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Microsoft on Wednesday unveiled its compact "Origami" computer, which the software giant was originally scheduled to show at the CeBIT technology trade show today. A Microsoft spokesperson told the Associated Press that the device would officially be called the "Ultramobile PC."

Just when you think MS has come up with a semi-cool name like Origami, they show their true lame corporate stuffiness and use "Ultramobile PC"
  • Reply 36 of 48
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Paid podcasts?

Talk show radio host Rush Limbaugh yesterday said that his company and Apple have developed a method to restrict access to podcasts to paid members. Previously, the only way for "Rush 24/7" subscribers to get Limbaugh's commercial-free podcasts was to download them individually through the Rush 24/7 member site. However, the podcats can now be delivered automatically via iTunes to paid members each Monday, simply by setting a preference on the Rush 24/7 website.

[/c]

Please read the artical/listen to the audio before writing this Kasper:

1: It STARTS monday, it will update every day

"on Monday if you are a subscriber at Rush 24/7 you will go to the new page that we will set up, and there's a link there, and when you click on that link, automatically your iTunes will open, be it Mac or Windows: iTunes will ask you for your user name and your password (for rush 24/7). You enter that, you click the box that says "remember my password," and you never have to do another thing again. The following day, or that day, later that day, the next day, every podcast will automatically download to your iTunes as long as your iTunes is open and running."

2:"the only way for "Rush 24/7" subscribers to get Limbaugh's commercial-free podcasts was to download them individually through the Rush 24/7 member site." really?

FYI: Rush, and all other Premere podcasts have a client app that will auto DL the show, this just takes that step out of it.

Footnote: not a rush 24/7 preferance, a referance link to a phobos.apple.com site that opens itunes, that is where the prefs for podcasts are handled, and where you enter your Rush password and name for access to that RSS feed, and thus the files...

Link to Rushes explanation (free transcript and audio of the announcement)

• Reply 37 of 48
    nathan22tnathan22t Posts: 317member
    dumb.

Apple should add more buttons if they change it at all. Perhaps an "options" buttons or something for changing video resolutions, star ratings, stuff like that.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Rush... yech. Anyway Air America Radio beat him to to it.

hehe too bad they are bleeding so much money. How long can they make it losing so much money?
  • Reply 39 of 48
    Hehehe

Nice to have a Media center that you can bark at it commands, again hehehe.

Just cause it dont use a hardware piece commonly know as remote control doesnt mean by any reason that you will have to perform:

first: You have to program the software (ewww)

Second: it will have at least same or more voice commands than the ones you have to perform using Apple remote. (even the 40 ones on MS remotes)

Third: sorethroat (hehe)

Ah, does Apple has voice recognition software integrated on OS X ? Of course it have, long time ago, if Apple didnt offered a solution voice driven it must be casue its not as easy to use as the 6 button remote and must have a shortcoming.

8)
  • Reply 40 of 48
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I do think voice recognition is the future...

I hope not. At least, I hope that I will always have the option of not using it. This is what using voice commands on a media center would be like:

"Open the guide".. "Scroll down"... "Scroll down"... "Scroll down"... "Select Comedy Central" (to see the info)... "Scroll down" (I decided I didn't want to watch the movie they had on)... "Scroll down"... "Scroll down"... "Scroll right" (I want to see what's on next on that channel)... (Nope) "Scroll left"... "Scroll down"... "Select Channel 339" (GSN)... "Watch channel 339"... I'd be amazed if it took all those commands and I would be damn sick of saying 'scroll down' when I am navigating when I could have pushed the button so much faster. Also, some people might want to say "channel 339" and some "Game Show Network" and some "Lingo" (or whatever show is on).

The only time this wouldn't be a hassle is if I knew exactly what I wanted to watch and could simply say "Watch Comedy Central" or say.. "Play DVD in DTS and skip to chapter 5". Or I could just push all the right buttons faster than you can say "Play DVD".

Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

Then why did Microsoft go to the trouble of designing a logo especially for the Origami website? Also, check out some of the "program launcher" backgrounds; do the less ugly ones remind you of anything?

http://origamiproject.com/gallery/gallery.aspx

Wow. They don't even try to disguise their plagiarism, do they?