Briefly: Intel challenges Apple; MS Origami; paid podcasts?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    Quote:

Wow. They don't even try to disguise their plagiarism, do they?

That's why I am glad that they are delaying WWDC. In fact, if it weren't for the developer issues, it would be great for them to keep leopard's features a secret until after Vista launches, then MS will be so screwed because it will have nothing to copy.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

I do think voice recognition is the future...

And always will be.

• Reply 43 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by nathan22t

Apple should add more buttons if they change it at all. Perhaps an "options" buttons or something for changing video resolutions, star ratings, stuff like that.

And maybe one for "mute".

Perhaps forward and reverse "scrubber" buttons.

Might not be too bad. Still not anything like 30-60 buttons.

P.S. Tangental rant...The one thing that really annoys me about Front Row is that there doesn't appear to be an obvious way to just "jump out" (back to the computer) immediately.

EDIT: Come to think of it...

- "Pause" should work fine for "mute".

- Do I really need scrubber buttons? Probably not in most cases. But with video might like to rewind sometimes.

- I do like the idea of being able to change ratings "in flight"...but that could get complicated
  • Reply 44 of 48
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Then tell that to the portfolio owners who set the boundaries.

I would have thought Apple could have sold the iTMS at least as a fall-back for show producers who's negotiations with the international broadcast community had stalled. If a network/broadcaster failed to strike a deal the threat of dropping the show onto iTMS (and expediting the inevitable demise of the traditional broadcast industry) would have been quite compelling.

Of course Apple would have to use it's own discretion to make sure iTMS didn't become a 2nd rate 'broadcaster'

McD
  • Reply 45 of 48
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

Then why did Microsoft go to the trouble of designing a logo especially for the Origami website? Also, check out some of the "program launcher" backgrounds; do the less ugly ones remind you of anything?

http://origamiproject.com/gallery/gallery.aspx

Reminds me of my iBook Desktop.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

EDIT: Come to think of it...

- "Pause" should work fine for "mute".

- Do I really need scrubber buttons? Probably not in most cases. But with video might like to rewind sometimes.

- I do like the idea of being able to change ratings "in flight"...but that could get complicated

I think the mute button might be a good idea, but pause works pretty well, especially for PVR and prerecorded media.

If Apple put the clickwheel concept on a remote, I think that could be better than adding FF and FW buttons, click the center once and circle around the wheel. That really depends on whether the typical user likes the way scrubbing is done on the iPod. I personally think it is kind of annoying because I can't set the sensitivity or acceleration. I have not tried Front Row or their remote yet.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

The iPod has five buttons and a wheel. The Apple remote should have five buttons and a wheel. It should basically be an iPod clickwheel on a 2" by 2" square.

Voice automation is ridiculous, as can be witnessed by the fact that the Intel remote didn't work in the auditorium. Do you really think your voice-activated AV remote is going to work when you're watching Jurassic Park at cinema volume on your home theater system. "Pause!" "Pause!!" "PAUSE!!!! GOD DAMMIT I SAID PAUSE!!!"

I agree, though I think sometimes Apple's choice of button feel needs help. The nano and 5G don't have as positive of a feel as I would like. I don't even bother with Apple's desktop keyboard because it feels too spongy and the feel of the button being pressed doesn't connect with whether the keyboard sent a key press. Many times it sends a double key press, others it doens't send one at all, it is disconnected, feeling more like a cheap keyboard than one where thought was put into it.