Oh-oh: No EFI for Vista

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Microsoft has decided to not support EFI at all with Vista. The reasons seem to be vague and totally unclear... something to the lines of 'we will do this with the next release...'.

No Vista lovin' for Intel Macs then.

Article: http://apcmag.com/apc/v3.nsf/0/E666E...25712C008166C4

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Im happy I have a Power PC mac while Intel software comes online in the next few years.

Windows behind the times.....no crap.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I don´t understand the mentioning of 64 bit processors. Am I suppose to read it like this:

-No 32 bit version of Vista

-A 64 bit version will/might come at some point as Vista server at a later stage.

And one extra question: Is Merom 32 or 64 bit?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    nauticalnautical Posts: 109member
    Merom is 64-bit.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I don't think I'd want to let Vista run by itself on my Mac anyway. It should still be able to run under virtualization and that way you'd be able to force it to reboot when it inevitably goes screwy while OS X happily keeps on working.

I'm not even interested in running Vista to be honest. It's ugly and bloated. Someone tested out a beta version and OpenGL programs didn't work properly and most of the rest of the system was either annoying or unusable. Most PC users I've spoken to say that they are ready to switch to Macs if M$ 'forces' people to change to Vista. Did you know that they made the next version of Halo Vista-only to encourage people to switch? It's pathetic.

I'd be content if I could run Windows 98, 2000, or XP at full speed and with native graphics card support. I think that this would encourage a lot of people over to the Mac platform too.

Where are all the virtualization geniuses anyway? I would have thought there would be sofware running Windows at decent speeds by now.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

Where are all the virtualization geniuses anyway? I would have thought there would be sofware running Windows at decent speeds by now.

I was thinking the same thing - i would like to run the few windows apps without having windows running alongside osx and using up memory/cpu. For several weeks ive been following Q effort, but thought Transitive could do it (if they can build Rosetta for Apple - why not a Windows?). Well Hexus now claims sources are indeed working on it.

Transitive

Still light on detail - or Vmware for OSX would be a nice alternative, at close to full speed, except you have to be running Windows.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    This will just motivate the virtual machine people to get Windows Vista running inside OS X rather than forcing dual boot. I prefer the VPC/VMWare approach more so this announcement doesn't bother me.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

This will just motivate the virtual machine people to get Windows Vista running inside OS X rather than forcing dual boot. I prefer the VPC/VMWare approach more so this announcement doesn't bother me.

Yup. Windows needs to be caged in a VPC/VMWare approach or no go for me either. So this news does not affect me much either, but does tell me one thing.

MS just realized that it's risky business to let people install Windows on a Mac. They know Windows will inevitably take second place inside a Mac. That's just bad for business.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I think it was just one more feature on Vista's list that wasn't directly applicable to today's hardware, so it got dropped. I hope the Windows fanboys make a fuss.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Microsoft has decided to not support EFI at all with Vista. The reasons seem to be vague and totally unclear... something to the lines of 'we will do this with the next release...'.

Hey, this is a MSN site. Anybody notice they used a mac icon for the MP3 audio clip?
  • Reply 10 of 18
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

Hey, this is a MSN site. Anybody notice they used a mac icon for the MP3 audio clip?

That's an iTunes file icon.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

I don't think I'd want to let Vista run by itself on my Mac anyway. It should still be able to run under virtualization and that way you'd be able to force it to reboot when it inevitably goes screwy while OS X happily keeps on working.

I'm not even interested in running Vista to be honest. It's ugly and bloated. Someone tested out a beta version and OpenGL programs didn't work properly and most of the rest of the system was either annoying or unusable. Most PC users I've spoken to say that they are ready to switch to Macs if M$ 'forces' people to change to Vista. Did you know that they made the next version of Halo Vista-only to encourage people to switch? It's pathetic.

I'd be content if I could run Windows 98, 2000, or XP at full speed and with native graphics card support. I think that this would encourage a lot of people over to the Mac platform too.

"Those grapes were probably sour anyways. I'm gonna go buy some artificially flavored grape juice."
  • Reply 12 of 18
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ibuzz

Anybody notice they used a mac icon for the MP3 audio clip?

Or maybe it appears like that to us because we're using Macs. Kinda like what Apple does with the iPod page; if you surf with a Mac, you see Apple gear, iBooks and stuff, if you surf on a Windows machine, you see a Windows-based laptop.

Or maybe I'm wrong and everybody sees that icon. But that's a mime-type denoting icon, not the iTunes icon itself.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    ibuzzibuzz Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Or maybe it appears like that to us because we're using Macs. Kinda like what Apple does with the iPod page; if you surf with a Mac, you see Apple gear, iBooks and stuff, if you surf on a Windows machine, you see a Windows-based laptop.

Or maybe I'm wrong and everybody sees that icon. But that's a mime-type denoting icon, not the iTunes icon itself.

somebody with a windows machine want to check that out?

Maybe the web designer prefers to design with a mac? just an interesting observation.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Lets not give undue credit where it isn't deserved...

Sure I could see Apple doing something like you suggest but Microsoft taking the time to add code specifically for Apple / "OS X" ?!?! Yea... why don't I think so...

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 18
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

I think there are two reasons for this. 1) Vista won't run on current pc's that boot via bios. So, Microsoft won't sell as many copies.

2) This microsoft move will slow mac sales somewhat.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I think there are two reasons for this. 1) Vista won't run on current pc's that boot via bios. So, Microsoft won't sell as many copies.

2) This microsoft move will slow mac sales somewhat.

1)
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

[B]Lets not give undue credit where it isn't deserved...

What are you talking about?

Quote:

Sure I could see Apple doing something like you suggest

Apple is doing that, and it takes nothing more than identifying the platform and serving an image with a Windows PC rather than an iBook in their pages.

Quote:

but Microsoft taking the time to add code specifically for Apple / "OS X" ?!?! Yea... why don't I think so...

It's not Microsoft; it's a site that has MSN ads on it. It also has an MSN search plug-in, just like many sites have Google plug-ins.

Pay more attention before starting to laugh at people.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by sc_markt

I think there are two reasons for this. 1) Vista won't run on current 32-bit pc's that boot via bios.

T, FTFY.