Word error

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was working on a Word document that was placed on an external drive. Sudently my Word application crashed and replaced the document from the drive with a "rescued document" stuff file.

That "rescued document" file contains a few pages of orizontal lines and it has a very small size (32 kb). I don't know why the application replaced the file, usually when it crashes it doesn't do anything to the saved files.

Does someone know how can I recover my old document?

10x

I have an G4 powerbook with tiger OS

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Artanis

I was working on a Word document that was placed on an external drive. Sudently my Word application crashed and replaced the document from the drive with a "rescued document" stuff file.

That "rescued document" file contains a few pages of orizontal lines and it has a very small size (32 kb). I don't know why the application replaced the file, usually when it crashes it doesn't do anything to the saved files.

Does someone know how can I recover my old document?

10x

I have an G4 powerbook with tiger OS

Sometimes Word will re-open with a "recovered document" but usually leaves the original (i.e., last saved file) intact. Are you sure it is not on your external drive? Word never works with your original saved document. It actually opens a copy. Strange if it corrupted the original and the copy it was working with. Can you clarify?

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 2
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

Sometimes Word will re-open with a "recovered document" but usually leaves the original (i.e., last saved file) intact. Are you sure it is not on your external drive? Word never works with your original saved document. It actually opens a copy. Strange if it corrupted the original and the copy it was working with. Can you clarify?

Dave

Like I said, the document was on my external drive disk, I opened it from that disk and I start to edit it when after a few hours of hard work suddently the word crashed and replaced my file with that "rescued document" word file.

Any way to recover that file? it was really important

About this external drive I had previous problems, sometimes when it is saving some documents replacing previous ones, it says that it cannot replace the old file (I don't know why) and it saves the current file using a random numbers and letters code name. Could this be an issue of compatibility of the external drives and the Mac's or could this external drive not be installed in a correct manner (though it was installed in our LAN network by a firm) ?

Also some recomandations for my future usage of word on external disks.

Thank you.