Apple to gather media for Spring event

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer plans to draw analysts and members of the media to the west coast this Spring for yet another special media event, AppleInsider has learned.

True to industry-wide speculation, the event is expected to fall around the iPod maker's 30th anniversary, which takes place on April 1, 2006. However, Apple is considering holding the event immediately before or after the 1st -- not on that date -- because it falls on a Saturday, people familiar with some of the company's plans have said.

As has been the case in the past, Apple is expected to use the event to spotlight some of its latest innovations and products in both the personal computer and digital media market segments, those same people said.

While the company's precise plans are shrouded in secrecy as usual, sources are almost certain the event will play host to a new line of 13-inch widescreen consumer iBook notebooks based on Intel microprocessors. Additional announcements such as a high-end 17-inch MacBook Pro and a high-profile iPod-related product may also be in the cards.

The event will mark the third time Apple has summoned the media to such a gathering in a little over 3 months. In January, it used the media frenzy that is Macworld Expo to roll-out Intel-based iMac desktops and MacBook Pro notebooks. A month and a half later, the company invited members of the media to its Cupertino, Calif.-based campus to see the unveiling of the iPod Hi-Fi speaker system and an a petite Intel-based Mac mini desktop computer.

In contrast to the most recent Apple media event, which dished out "medium sized" products and was deemed lackluster by a number of analysts and members of the press, the Spring event is expected to give way to "larger" product introductions that should have a more material impact on the company's results.

According to a recent series of checks, Apple is believed to be considering March 28th and April 4th as two possible dates for the event. However, sources cautioned that those dates are largely dependent on the company's ability to complete development of, and transition to manufacturing, its new products by a set target date.

It's critical that Apple introduce its new line of consumer iBook notebooks by the end of next month if it hopes to capitalize on the educational buying season, analysts have said. The last time the company updated its consumer notebooks was in July of 2005 when it introduced new 12- and 14-inch iBooks with 1.33 GHz or 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 processors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    MacBooks?

• Reply 2 of 84
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    My only fear if they release these three products is I will buy both the 17" and new iPod. My wife will kill me, I'll be out 4 grand.

But I will have new toys from Apple. Such is life... :-)

I also hope they release a wireless two button mouse with the little ball. I really want that from Apple...
  • Reply 3 of 84
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    It would be great if they held the event on the Friday as the intro to a massive party on the following Saturday...

Can just see it now: all 150 Apple Stores with balloons spread around everywhere, birthday cake motifs, maybe the projectors could be playing scenes from Apple's history:

- photos of Jobs & Woz in the garage,

- Apple ][ taking America by storm

- letting the Mac out of the bag

- "Why 1984 won't be like 1984"

- "We went with plan A" (Apple buys NeXT)

- the iCEO returns

- iMac taking the world by storm

- the lickable Mac OS X

- ?1,000 songs in your pocket?
  • Reply 4 of 84
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    begin wild and rampant speculation now!!!

WoOt!!

• Reply 5 of 84
    so what else is new

these "reports" seem like a regurgitation of past reports mixed in with pretty obvious stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My shares just jumped out of my pocket and hit the roof!!
  • Reply 7 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

My shares just jumped out of my pocket and hit the roof!!

you must own a different AAPL stock than i do then. haha.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    Yippy-Skippy... Time to roll out another mac product with INTEL INTEGRATED GRAPHICS and a few other downgrades from the previous product release.

No wonder they keep inviting the media, because they know that new users are the only one's who will see these new machines as superior to the last batch.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I own apple computers stock, I bought it in 2003
  • Reply 10 of 84
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Yippy-Skippy... Time to roll out another mac product with INTEL INTEGRATED GRAPHICS and a few other downgrades from the previous product release.

No wonder they keep inviting the media, because they know that new users are the only one's who will see these new machines as superior to the last batch.

The reports I see from people actually using the new mini is it is spiffy and does pretty well except of 3D games, which are only played by a minor segment of the Mac minority.

I don't see Apple going for the 17" MacBook yet... it's a minor market compared to the replacement for the iBook and a middle range MacBook Pro. Also wonder if there is anything to all of the rumor about an Apple Tablet or mini book.

Surely we will see

-Apple Portable Video Player

- iBook replacements (999, 1299)

- notebook at 1599

Birthday Bash:

- 30 anniversary Mac (hopefully something affordable this time)

- sales on lots of products for the month

- tablet Mac

Whatever happens, may all new Macs have more USB ports on them!
  • Reply 11 of 84
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Exactly which "few other downgrades are you talking about?"

Do you mean the significantly (4x) faster processor? Or the faster DDR RAM? Or the 3x faster front side bus? Or the faster 5400 rpm hard drive? Or the faster 8x dual layer Superdrive? Or the added digital in and out? Or the 2 additional usb ports? Or the inclusion of Front Row and a remote? Or iLife 06? Or the additional ram slot with double the previous max ram capacity? Or are you just referring solely to the integrated gpu which in benchmarks has outperformed the ppc mini by up to 70% faster performance and now handles support for HD video playback?

I'm confused..
  • Reply 12 of 84
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Whatever happens, may all new Macs have more USB ports on them!

Goodness I hope you are right. Here's to hoping the Mac Pro has 6 USB 2.0 ports...

And maybe they can throw us video editors a frickin bone and include a few more Firewire ports... Yeah, thats never gonna happen
  • Reply 13 of 84
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    23" iMac

Video iPod

MacBook

MacBook Nano (Tablet)

iPod Shuffle
  • Reply 14 of 84
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 4fx

Goodness I hope you are right. Here's to hoping the Mac Pro has 6 USB 2.0 ports...

And maybe they can throw us video editors a frickin bone and include a few more Firewire ports... Yeah, thats never gonna happen

Well, I hope the 17" MBP whenever it finally reaches us will include Expresscard 54 so we can add two FW800 ports to it. I also think it needs a HD-DVD SuperMultiDrive to compete with the new Toshiba 17" Qosmio? G35 AV Portable with HD-DVD just being released in Europe now for only $2400. I don't see shelling out $3k for a top of the line 17" MacBook Pro without a HD-DVD OR Blueray optical drive inside. It's way too close to that difusion time to settle for an old DL "Super"drive as "state-of-the-art". Toshiba has thrown down the gauntlet and Apple better follow if they want to sell a lot of 17" MBPs. Ignoring HD-DVD or Blueray this year at the top of the line would be completely LAME.

If you study the specs of this computer, there is nothing Apple can't do better faster right now. Note: This includes Microsoft Office and Works and a TV tuner built in with TWO SATA HDs inside. On the downside, it's only running a 1.83 GHz Core Duo and slower 533 ram than the 15" MBP 667 ram. So the Mac will be running faster, but it's gotta have most of what the Toshiba has to get me excited enough to pull the trigger. I am thinking HD Optical minimum to get me on board. Dual SATA drives would be another minimum for me now.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    Quote:

the only one's

The only one's what?
  • Reply 16 of 84
    GRRRRRR first let them deliver my mbp before launching shitloads of new stuff!!!!! First my new MBP, after that I will get all happy about new stuff!

• Reply 17 of 84
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

I own apple computers stock, I bought it in 2003

Well aren't you lucky. I blame myself for the recent dip in stock. I purchased just after the media event a couple weeks ago and stock has since dropped.. sorry everyone.. I'll take the blame. Heck it's going down.. makes me want to buy more
  • Reply 18 of 84
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

Exactly which "few other downgrades are you talking about?"

Do you mean the significantly (4x) faster processor? Or the faster DDR RAM? Or the 3x faster front side bus? Or the faster 5400 rpm hard drive? Or the faster 8x dual layer Superdrive? Or the added digital in and out? Or the 2 additional usb ports? Or the inclusion of Front Row and a remote? Or iLife 06? Or the additional ram slot with double the previous max ram capacity? Or are you just referring solely to the integrated gpu which in benchmarks has outperformed the ppc mini by up to 70% faster performance and now handles support for HD video playback?

I'm confused..

• Reply 19 of 84
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Maybe Apple needs to rate its media events, so that people know whether to get excited or not, otherwise you have some journalist expecting every presentation Apple makes to be something special.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ajmas

Maybe Apple needs to rate its media events, so that people know whether to get excited or not, otherwise you have some journalist expecting every presentation Apple makes to be something special.

Or better yet, DON'T hold a media event unless you've got something "special" to introduce.

Regular product updates do not warrant a media event. I think Apple/Steve have learned their lesson.