How do the core Duos run MS Office 2004?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How do the core Duos run MS Office 2004? Please list ram amount on the rig you have if you don't mind too.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aplnub

How do the core Duo's run MS Office 2004? Please list ram amount on the rig you have if you don't mind too.

Well aplnub, I just purchased a Mini Core Duo with 512 mb Ram and it runs office OK. Saving and opening files are a little slow. I'll report back when my 2 1 GB sticks of Ram are installed over the weekend.

Opening more than one program has been a complete pain and I am hoping that ram cures this bad Mini's desire to scream.

It seems to run hot too.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

Are you answering yourself or is this thread more of a poll?

Anyway, good review aplnub and thanks for answering aplnub's question.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Office runs perfect on my core duo 20" iMac with 1 Gb of ram.

I do not notice much difference between binary and ppc-apps running under rosetta anyway, apart from rosetta-apps launching a bit slower. The general responsiveness of apps running under rosetta is indistinguishable from native apps to me thusfar. I do not use processor-intensive graphics/video ppc-apps though, just office, skype, that kind of app.

edit: oh, I just now noticed you've already answered yourself
  • Reply 4 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bancho

Are you answering yourself or is this thread more of a poll?

Anyway, good review aplnub and thanks for answering aplnub's question.

Look at the time gone from his first to second post. My guess is he is being sarcastic over the missing answers to his posts.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

Look at the time gone from his first to second post. My guess is he is being sarcastic over the missing answers to his posts.

Good catch

That aplnub's a crafty bastard
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Update: I shelved the Core Duo until the ram gets here. It just does not have the humf needed for my job. I am going to convert from my G4 mini to the Core Duo at work. I am in Adobe, Office, and several other programs all day long (with usually 6 or 7 going at one time).

Currently, is no thing to my G4 mini and 1 GB ram.

The Core Duo, just booting into OS X had only 24 mb ram free and really couldn't pull it's own with more than one program open. So, until the ram gets here it is shelved. The ram wass supposed to be here today, but it appears Monday it will make it. So much for next day by noon.

That and spotlight wouldn't index my iDisk. That REALLY pisses me off.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

the core Duo's

The Core Duo's what?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    This thread is about my mini core duo.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

The Core Duo's what?

I fixed it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

The Core Duo, just booting into OS X had only 24 mb ram free

That is normal behavior. Mach will try and fill 90% of RAM whenever it is able to. Even if you had 3 GB, if Mach could cache enough stuff to fill 2.7 GB, it would. Free RAM is wasted RAM which is wasted money.

Quote:

That and spotlight wouldn't index my iDisk. That REALLY pisses me off.

I don't think Spotlight indexes any network volumes. Am I mistaken? Seems as if that would take a week.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

That is normal behavior. Mach will try and fill 90% of RAM whenever it is able to. Even if you had 3 GB, if Mach could cache enough stuff to fill 2.7 GB, it would. Free RAM is wasted RAM which is wasted money.

I don't think Spotlight indexes any network volumes. Am I mistaken? Seems as if that would take a week.

You are incorrect. It indexes my iDisk on my G4 and G5 machines. That is where my work files stay. It is a lifesaver to me that everything sync's up at home and work and on the go and I can instantly find a quote or paper I have written. I have found a page on the web that deals with this problem but not Intel specific. Otherwise, Applecare here I come and I will post the results of the fix.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I have a 1.83 MBP w/ 2GB RAM, it boots faster or equal to my 1.67ghz (last model) powerbook.

I agree, this things gets realllllllly hot. I was used to the powerbook tan on the top of my legs, but this can get unbearable even through jeans of it is in my lap for a long time.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpennington

I agree, this things gets realllllllly hot. I was used to the powerbook tan on the top of my legs, but this can get unbearable even through jeans of it is in my lap for a long time.

I am surprised more people are not commenting on that. There is a definite heat difference compared to the G4's.

I don't care because I have a faster machine, hopefully faster in a few months.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I have 2 gigs installed in my duo mini.

Everything screams. Office is the same speed as my G4 computers.

Yes, memory has a big part of it.

My friend has 1 gig in his duo. Office is fast too in this configuration.

I think you should get the mini with a minimum of 1 gig of memory (the real minimum nowadays, anyhow.)

The new Office should be out Q4/Q1 at the latest IMHO. And the solution today works fine, IMHO.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by BWhaler

I have 2 gigs installed in my duo mini.

Everything screams. Office is the same speed as my G4 computers.

Yes, memory has a big part of it.

My friend has 1 gig in his duo. Office is fast too in this configuration.

I think you should get the mini with a minimum of 1 gig of memory (the real minimum nowadays, anyhow.)

The new Office should be out Q4/Q1 at the latest IMHO. And the solution today works fine, IMHO.

Yeah, I hope you are right. I bought the mini core duo demo at CompUSA because they were out of the completely and they didn't have any ram. Which was fine because I like crucial. Monday night will tell the tale. It is good to hear that you have had good luck with 2 gigs of ram. I am glad I went ahead and purchased 2 instead of 1 1gb chip for 1.5 gb ram.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Ram is installed and that seemed to fix the spotlight problem with my iDisk.

Everything is A-OK now with 2 GB ram. Front Row runs decent too.

With 512 mb ram, the computer is a waste of space. With 2 GB, it is fast as lightening on Intel native programs and seems to run the Adobe suite faster than my G4. At least the functions I use the most. Everything is as fast or faster with some small exceptions but no big deal.

One small exception: MS Office open and save dialogs take longer than I like to open but bearable until the binaries come out.