little bit smaller nano = express card

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
............. A nano is 89 mm X 40.6 mm X 7 mm

An express card is 75 mm X 34.0 mm X 5 mm

I floated the idea previously of Apple trying to promote the ipod as a means by which to keep your home folder portable while providing a simple way of accessing your media. The idea was generally shot down because of the multitude of ipod form factors that would have to be accomodated.

So then I suggested the ipod nano, but again this would probably only be promoted by Apple.

But if they could make a nano fit (and interface) with the Express card slot which is now becoming standard across the portable computer world (and some desktops).

The length doesn't even need to change because it can stick out of the slot. Hell, make it a little longer even to includ a pop out USB male end.

We are talking milimeters here!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    And a significant amount of screen space.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    And a small percentage of the iPod nano marked...

How many buyers of the Nano currently have an express card equipped computer? My guess is below 1%. How many in one year? Probably about 5%, certainly below 10%.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    There is an exprescard 54 standard, but it's not 54mm wide all the way through. The pin out is the same as 34 at the base, but the opening is 54mm wide, and so the slot is actually a weird dog legged shape for more volume. This is stupid. They should have made one standard, either 54 or 34. The 54 is created for reasons of heat dissapation and case volume, but where it's an issue, many PCMIA cards merely protrude from the chassis. They could do that with 34, or provide 54 and make no option for 34. We will inevitably see one of these two standards die as a result, and some people left holding useless 54 cards. (the 34's will work in either slot)

Anyway, it would be better for Apple to freeze the physical interface of the iPod line for as many years as possible and allow the ecosystem of peripherals not only to grow, but to make it a defacto MP3 standard for all sorts of devices from car stereos to home A/V, to TVs...

iPods are not really suited to use as an expansion card module anyway. What would be easier for the nano might be a flip out male USB port...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    dglowdglow Posts: 147member
    What would make even more sense is a smaller Apple Remote that stowed away in the ExpressCard slot.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardeeharhar

And a significant amount of screen space.

I don't have a ruler handy, but I'd bet they could shave off the 5.6 millimeters just by reducing the border around the screen. More if they made the screen portrait.

Regarding the interfacing to the express card slot, I could be wrong but I believe the spec also supports the USB protocol.

As for just attaching it via a USB port, I definately think the nano should be able to do this (I'm still perplexed as to why they didn't make it like the shuffle so you could use it more like a thumb drive). But, I think the USB attachment would be too flimsy for longtime use, especially on portables, if you are going to try and store your home folder on it.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by dglow

What would make even more sense is a smaller Apple Remote that stowed away in the ExpressCard slot.

Agreed. It's also already been done. My uncle got a new laptop from Acer with a remote that stows in the PCI slot.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I stow a Laser pointer and wireless remote combo in my Pismo's PCMCIA slot.

It is the only reason I am disappointed in ExpressCard. I won't really use any modules.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Apple may want to keep the iPod dock unique however. They have been using it to great effect to create quite a range of iPod friendly A/V equipment. It's sorta the exact opposite from what one might expect, in that we might think vendors more apt to support open standards, but it seems to be working. Every "iPod Ready" car stereo, receiver, speaker system, radio that we see further re-inforces the iPod as the only MP3 player of consequence, the only "standard". It's the Windows of the MP3 world.

I expect the next major change in iPod I/O to come with the advent of wireless support. BT and 802.11 chipsets are constantly improving, smaller size, less current draw -- at some point it's going to be an easy fit, and the data rate will be enough to make it worthwhile for playback purposes. Uploading and downloading your whole inventory will still require a hard connection.

Overall, the Nano as datakey is a great concept, but seems just as easily facilitated by an accessory dongle of some sort, no cords, just a snap on device, something like the shuffle's USB cap, only this houses a dock to male USB converter.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I expect the next major change in iPod I/O to come with the advent of wireless support. BT and 802.11 chipsets are constantly improving, smaller size, less current draw -- at some point it's going to be an easy fit, and the data rate will be enough to make it worthwhile for playback purposes. Uploading and downloading your whole inventory will still require a hard connection.

Actually, the company who manufactures the iPod's processor recently announced that they would be able to add wireless support (I believe it was 802.11) to their chips, so it appears it's already on the way.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    802.11 wouldn't make sense due to power requirements.

Bluetooth would...