Ok...will soon be making purchase please help pick.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I wanted to wait until after the summer to buy an imac but I just can't do that. I am selling my pc soon and getting a mac. After watching every video on apple.com of what all OSX can do I am hooked. I have no idea why I have been using this crap forever. I feel like the kid that was left out at the party.

I have two choices for my imac.

Number 1)Imac G5 with options of 1.5 gb ram and applecare, price 1698.00.

Number 2)Imac intel with options 1gb ram, ATI 256 mb vram, price 1,757.00.

I can't afford applecare with option number 2, I would be able to buy it within a year from purchase of course. I will also need office:mac very soon after my purchase. I will worry about that later. Just act like the above choices are all you have. What would you do? I need all opinions. Please don't tell me I should buy a mini and a moniter. Just pick from the above. I like the extra ram with the G5, but it feels weird buying an "older" product. Kind of like buying a new car and them just having a different engine, but one being a "newer" engine for the company. As you can tell I need help. Right now I am leaning towards the intel one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    i'd take the intel machine
  • Reply 2 of 6
    OpenOffice is a great MS word replacement and it can edit and creat word .doc files

the best thing is it is free
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Why a new thread? We have given you lots of advice on this topic on the original thread.

Go with the Intel iMac and I would save the monney on the video card. If you don't have the money to afford AppleCare then you don't have the money to afford the games which would take advantage of the video card. Save your money and apply it towards protecting your investment and buying the software you NEED.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    turboturbo Posts: 31member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Why a new thread? We have given you lots of advice on this topic on the original thread.

Go with the Intel iMac and I would save the monney on the video card. If you don't have the money to afford AppleCare then you don't have the money to afford the games which would take advantage of the video card. Save your money and apply it towards protecting your investment and buying the software you NEED.

This thread is totally different then the previous one. I have narrowed it down between two machines with different specs. The main difference being G5 or Intel. I can't stand that free word software that comes with a mac.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    OpenOffice is not the word processor that comes with macs. Also, have you tried pages/iwork?

I have the 17" iMac core duo, and love it. There will be a few inconveniences in the beginning before software goes native, but if you go for the core duo you will be buying a machine that will have a longer lifespan.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I agree on Pages, and believe I recommended it on the other thread.

This is a continuation of that thread, a natural evolution, not a new topic.

Your new Mac will come with a trial version of Office Mac and Pages. Give Pages a try; it's great.