Indigo iMac About To Be Dropped?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by gumby5647:

<strong>i disagree with the 500.00 price point.

Selling a Mac at that price makes it seem like you are trying to compete with E-Machines....

....and that is something i don't want Apple doing.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course I don't want Apple to compete with E-Machines either, but would it really hurt? I mean, if people are looking for computers and don't know much they're likely to go with the cheaper one. Apple COULD definately have a pretty good $500 computer.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    A $500 iMacG3 is perfect for my little brother. Something like:

\t700Mhz Sahara

\t256mb RAM

\tRadeon(32mb)

\tUSB, Firewire, Ethernet, Modem

\tDVD-ROM

\tSnow

would satisfy him(and a lot of other people).
  • Reply 23 of 31
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Yes, very good idea.

One color to make inventory management easier.

Sahara G3 to keep performance good and price low, hopefully in the 700-800mhz range.

20GB hard drive. a casual user will not fill that for a while.

cheap video (rage128, radeon, gf2mx) with 16-32 MB memory.

128-256 MB RAM

ethernet, modem, usb, firewire, airport. $499 - $599

That would have a market.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Well, it's not $499, but you can get an Indigo iMac for a cool <a href="http://www.dealsontheweb.com/deal-click.php?id=2271"; target="_blank">$599</a>, if you like . . .
  • Reply 25 of 31
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by CommonSense:

<strong>Well, it's not $499, but you can get an Indigo iMac for a cool <a href="http://www.dealsontheweb.com/deal-click.php?id=2271"; target="_blank">$599</a>, if you like . . .</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yeah, but Apple should be offering an iMac at this price.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    This is where I hope Apple's consumer lines will be after MWNY:

CRT iMac

700MHz PowerPC G3

128MB SDRAM

20GB Ultra ATA drive

CD-ROM drive

RAGE 128 Ultra w/16MB

$599

eMac

700MHz PowerPC G4-------800MHz PowerPC G4

256MB SDRAM-------------256MB SDRAM

20GB Ultra ATA drive----40GB Ultra ATA drive

CD-RW drive-------------CD-RW drive

Geforce 2MX w/32MB------Radeon 7500 w/32MB

$799--------------------$1099

LCD iMac

933MHz PowerPC G4-------933MHz PowerPC G4

256MB SDRAM-------------256MB SDRAM

40GB Ultra ATA drive----60GB Ultra ATA drive

CD-RW drive-------------Combo drive

Geforce 4MX w/64MB------Geforce 4MX w/64MB

$1399-------------------$1599

1GHz PowerPC G4

512MB SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA drive

SuperDrive

Geforce 4MX w/64MB

$1899

These specs at these price points would Apple's consumer lineup very competitive compared to what other PC makers offer. The only weakness here would be MHz, but Apple can't do anything about that.

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: Keeksy ]</p>
  • Reply 27 of 31
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Why is everyone so hung up on the Snow iMac? I have always thought that it was the ugliest thing ever. The first thought I had when I saw it was that it looked like the tip of a used condom.

The graphite and the sage, on the otherhand...
  • Reply 28 of 31
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The original iMacs disappeared in October 1999.

...but until Apple can bring the eMac down to &lt;$1000, the old iMacs will stay.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    1. OS X will run fine when 10.2 is introduced. 10.2 is going to be the biggest obsticle to upgrades for Apple.

2. Apple just can't sell iMacs for $599, it simply doesn't have the volume demand. If it were only making $75 per machine instead of say $275 it couldn't exist, because it's sales are so small it need the higher magins to keep it's head above water. The fact is that most PC makers are loosing money, and wouldn't want Apple to follow that model.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]2. Apple just can't sell iMacs for $599, it simply doesn't have the volume demand. If it were only making $75 per machine instead of say $275 it couldn't exist, because it's sales are so small it need the higher magins to keep it's head above water. The fact is that most PC makers are loosing money, and wouldn't want Apple to follow that model. <hr></blockquote>

Not true. When Apple lowered the price of the low end iMac to $799, the retailers were making nothing off of them. If Apple was to enter the market with a lower cost computer, I think you'd see many people buy them up just to run Mac OS X. I hear from people all of the time that they would love to try Mac OS X but they don't want to make a $1000 investment on one. Now $499, on the other hand, is a different story. If Apple was to do nothing other than the following machine at that price, they would sell a boatload.

600MHz PowerPC G3

128MB SDRAM

20GB Ultra ATA drive

DVD-ROM Drive

RAGE 128 Ultra w/16MB

10/100BASE-T Ethernet

56K fax modem

15-inch display

2 USB & 2 FireWire ports

AirPort Ready

Are you telling me that Apple doesn't get the G3 cheap? What about memory? 128 MB is still relatively cheap when bought in bulk. 20 GB HDs aren't that bad and neither are DVD ROMs. Apple has to use the RAGE cards up any way, and the ethernet and 56k doesn't really add to the cost of the machine either.

I think that realistically, there is no reason why Apple can't sell this machine for between $500 and $650. $649 is the highest end that Apple could 'get away with' charging, IMO. Now, they sell these iMacs for $999! Way too expensive! If they could make a low cost machine, you'd see market share increase by quite a bit.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    This would fit right in with the new 'switch' campaign, but well, any new product would.