Purchased New iBook

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well after years of sitting on the fence, I've finally switched. I bought myself a 12" iBook G4. I can see my P4 3.06HT across the room - it's running Doom III and sitting there waiting for me to play with it.

It'll be waiting a while. I've got nearly four hours of battery left.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Hooray! Welcome to the fold.

We'll soon make a fanatic of you.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by grahamw

That's the spirit!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    I was following the steps outlined in the manual regarding conditioning the battery.

I've never waited so long in all my life. Even with Airport Extreme on and the screen at full brightness this thing REFUSED TO DIE. Most of the Toshibas I've worked with fold at the mere sight of 5% battery life. My little alabaster blaster had three minutes of life left for NEARLY 20 MINUTES.

I wanted to go to bed!!

Here's to days of solid computing!!
  • Reply 4 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

My little alabaster blaster

Best Mac nickname EVER.

Welcome to the fold.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Friends, I ask of you a brief moment of silence for the Alabaster Blaster.

She kicked it on Wednesday.

Alas, poor iBook, I hardly knew ye. You coaxed me through my first iMovies. Navigated my library of iPhotos. You even, with some finagaling and an external DVD burner, built my first iDVDs.

You got me through the last two years of Uni. You published my first book.

I loved you. And now you are gone.

She'd been slowing down over the past few weeks - I thought it was just the stress of a cross country trip and a little overwork. Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. Wednesday afternoon, when I got home from work, she started to cough. The cough became a sputter, and then a choke.

She died in my arms.

I took her into the Best Buy, for she is covered by "The Warranty". As they took her away a silence descended upon the geek squad and they looked to me, mournfully.

I don't know if they can bring her back. I gaze into the fresh glow of the new 20" iMac purchased - not to replace, never to replace - but so that she may have a companion, should she ever return home.

So please, friends, a moment of silence - condolences if you wish. Godspeed Alabaster Blaster.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Sniff.....

Looking at the beginning of this thread, all those years ago, you and the iBook, so young, so full of life, so new to the world of macs.....

(hangs and head and weeps openly)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    `
  • Reply 8 of 11
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Well after years of sitting on the fence, I've finally switched. I bought myself a 12" iBook G4. I can see my P4 3.06HT across the room - it's running Doom III and sitting there waiting for me to play with it.

welcome to the real world!

• Reply 9 of 11
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

welcome to the real world!

You do realize that he bought the iBook in 2004, don't you?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    LoL yes, this is a follow up post to my iBook purchase from 2004. I worked that poor little thing like there was no tomorrow.

I really have to say it was a great introduction to the world of Macs. This new iMac and my mac mini really are phenomenal.

I think if they're unable to repair the alabaster blaster I might take a store credit and put it towards a Macbook pro. I can't tell you how happy I am that my PC has been relegated to the category of dustgathering do-nothing. I still throw non-critical apps at it, games and the like. But if anything's important, it goes on in the confines of OS X.

I might try to eek some functionality out of that PC again and see what all the brou-ha-ha is over Ubuntu. Time will tell

I still miss my iBook. I woke up this morning and looked for it on my night table. I got choked up when it wasn't there.

Sad.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

You do realize that he bought the iBook in 2004, don't you?

Do you realize that is a Mac..

Do you?