1.83 MBP Ram

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Alright, what's the final word. Is it better to have 1 512 and 1 gb than 2 512. Is 2 gb overkill. Has anyone tested any ram for these computers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    How much RAM can you reasonably afford?

That's the amount you need.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    But is there a good reason to have matched ram blocks in the mbp?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

But is there a good reason to have matched ram blocks in the mbp?

Yes. Dual Channel gives a significant performance advantage and can only work with two equal-size RAM sticks.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    tman87tman87 Posts: 10member
    so essentially 2 512 is as good as 1 512 and 1 gb
  • Reply 5 of 16
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    If Chucker is right (I would like to get second opinions on that. I think I read somewhere that matching blocks works in iMacs but not in MBPs, can´t remember the reasoning), then I see it like this:

If your application use don´t exceeds the ram in the computer (and it starts paging), then it would be sensible to use paired ram blocks.

If your computer start paging due to lack of physical ram then og for more ram. The benefits of matching ram will be overwhelmed by the disadvantage of getting information from the MUCH MUCH slower HD.

Hmm. Thinking about it and knowing how ram hungry X is, 1) max the ram according to your budget and 2) If the amount of ram you can afford is two like-sized ram blocks be sure to match their data (its in Chuckers wikilink).
  • Reply 6 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    First, the manual for the current iMac and Mac Book Pro does not have any mention of recommendations, or mention of dual channel memory. I found one spec PDF that said iMac is dual channel capable if both slots have the same amount of memory, but I haven't found anything about the MBP.

I think it might be different for the Intel based units, but I remember seeing performance tests with older Macs that showed that speed did slow down a bit once you went beyond the limits of the smallest chip, i.e. with a 0.5 and a 1GB stick, the memory from 1 to 1.5 was slower. I really don't know if Intel systems require matched memory, but for best performance and capacity, I imagine that you'll want matched pairs.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    The next question is - where to get it the cheapest? 512 right now is killing me - so who's got the best deal?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    I prefer to buy direct from Crucial....but WOW prices have rocketed up since I got my 1gb stick at the end of January...total shipped with (express 2 day) was $148.54. Today I ordered another gig and the exact same item with same shipping is $204.51. I had heard DDR2 prices had gone up but that's rediculous.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspe...N=CT12864AC667

item: CT12864AC667
  • Reply 9 of 16
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    For some systems the configurator pricing is identical to that if you select the RAM yourself, however for SO-DIMMs and certain high-capacity DIMMS you can save a significant amount by picking the right part yourself.

Usually I compare the prices and if its negligible I go with the configurator as added assurance in case I have a problem, although I've never had one. When the prices are majorly different I go with the self-selected RAM every time.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grahamw

The next question is - where to get it the cheapest? who's got the best deal?

http://www.ramseeker.com/scripts/sor...4&sortSize=1gb
  • Reply 11 of 16
    I have a 1.83MBP with 2 gigs of RAMJET RAM. You might not need two gigs, but you also probably didn't need the newest apple computer, , so why not go all out? (if you can afford it)
  • Reply 12 of 16
    In regard to dual channel:

It really only matters if you have a bus speed which is faster than your memory or you have integrated graphics (which is almost certainly why the mini only ships with it's ram in pairs). Since the Core Duo's bus is 667MHz and DDR2 runs at 667MHz, you won't even notice the slight performance gain by going dual channel. If you had integrated graphics, though, that's a different story entirely. (think 5.3GB/sec for the CPU and another 5.3GB/sec for the GPU vs 5.3GB/sec of bandwidth and the two constantly fighting for whose king)
  • Reply 13 of 16
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    I just received my ram from Omnitechnologies which I found on Ramseeker.

Defective.

Christ, this always happens to me. I'm surprised the iMac was actually functional out of the box. Can't I buy a god damn piece of electronics without having to wait for shipping seven times, go back to the store or yell at someone on the phone??

Come to think of it, the iBook and the iMac are the only products that haven't made me stare at the ceiling in frustration.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    tman87tman87 Posts: 10member
    At newegg their are many pc2-5300 200 pin 1 gbs for under 100.

1 is 78 dollars. Does anyone have any experience with these particular chips? 512 = $49
  • Reply 15 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by halo1982

In regard to dual channel:

It really only matters if you have a bus speed which is faster than your memory or you have integrated graphics (which is almost certainly why the mini only ships with it's ram in pairs). Since the Core Duo's bus is 667MHz and DDR2 runs at 667MHz, you won't even notice the slight performance gain by going dual channel. If you had integrated graphics, though, that's a different story entirely. (think 5.3GB/sec for the CPU and another 5.3GB/sec for the GPU vs 5.3GB/sec of bandwidth and the two constantly fighting for whose king)

I think dual channel helps with other I/O too, because many different devices can write to and read from memory. That allows being able to do that without having to wait for a CPU slowdown or without starving anything. I really don't have proof for it, but for me, a P3 500MHz on a single channel memory system with a standard Intel chipset is slower than a single CPU P3 Xeon, same clock and FSB, with dual channel memory using a ServerWorks chipset, same speed memory and all. The actual CPUs are more or less the same, but to me, the performance difference is pretty clear. The first is generally not usable to me, the second is a breath of fresh air.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    cdong4cdong4 Posts: 194member
    I just purchased a gigaram branded 1GB chip from newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820221043

I've known someone else who had purchased gigaram before and they've always had excellent working chips each time, and the price was right. just installed it with much ease, and it was pretty cheap... i'll probably buy another one soon.