Favorite Mac Games

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
As the debate rages over on another thread, let's pause and make a list of our favorite Mac games, past and present, and say why we like them and how much they cost. Doesn't matter if there is a PC version or not. Let's just make a good list of good games on the Mac. If the game is still current, please include a link to thhe manufacturer's site.

I'll start off:

Strategic Conquest - old game that I picked up in college in 1988ish. Can't remember how much it cost, but I spent hours at it with my hallmates over the years, to the detriment of my GPA. It was fairly simple, but it had the original great Mac voice: Enemy battleship destroyed! Last played it about 2 years ago, before I finally retired my MacPlus (RIP).

Sim City Again, got the original back in the late 80s, then finally picked up the latest version two years ago for 50 bucks. There is now a Windows version, but not back in the early days. Nothing beats spending several weeks building a metropolis (progress with these cities is slow) and then wreaking havoc upon it. Aspyr

Goban This is freeware currently available on the net here. I have played this incredible game since I was a child. More complex than chess by many fold, it is possibly the greatest stategy game ever created, and is several thousand years old. No computer has ever played at championship level. The GNU version is pretty strong, but if you work at it you can beat the computer.

Stronghold For 49 bucks, this game provides plenty of entertainment and a bit of education in castle design and warfare of several centuries ago. The free build sections are nice and you can even design your own scenarios. MacSoft

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Uh, I like Warcraft III, Breakout... Super Breakout...

Photoshop...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Photoshop...

, but true.

If we're talking games of your, how can one not include classics like Bolo and Crystal Quest (now available on XBox Arcade!).

Civilization, in all forms. (I love Sid Meier about as much as Will Wright.)

Myst, in various incarnations.

A few of my favorite PC games from back in the day are Castles and Star Control 2. I also enjoyed Wing Commander Privateer. I'd actually say that Star Control 2 is almost the perfect game. Those who played it know exactly what I'm talking about.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Just played the demo for Titan Attacks from Puppy Games

TitanAttacks at Puppy Games

It was awesome- if you like 80's / 90's arcade space shooters

We may have to buy the full version soon.

Check out their others as well.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Escape Velocity!

I also used to play a lot of Glider 4.0. The only other computer games that I ever put much time into were the Blizzard RTS games (Warcraft I/II/III, Starcraft, etc) and Civ 2. The only video game that I can honestly say I was good at, though, was NHL 95/96 for Sega Genesis.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I wasted lots of time on SimCity and RoboSport back in the day. SimWorld, too (all 3 of those were released by Maxis). And I really got obsessed with making golf courses in Mean 18 (Accolade). Good memories of System 6 on my Mac Classic

For those who don't remember, RoboSport was game of strategy where you programmed a team of robots to move and scan for enemies around a course, and then you watch the results after your opponent (either the computer, someone trading spots with you on your computer, or another person over your network) has gone through the same process. It wasn't a quick game by any means, but it kept the mind moving.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Forgot Burning Monkey Solitaire!