ipod nano upgrades imminent?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm have a 30 gb gen 3 ipod but i'm looking for something smaller and lighter. As I have slightly less than 6 gb of "highly rated" music in itunes, I figure I would be happy with a 6 or 8 GB nano.

Anyone have any ideas about when the memory would be upgraded to these higher capacities?

I've heard that SanDisk is supposed to release a 6gb flash player soon, so maybe Apple will follow suit soon.

Is flash memory too expensive to put 6-8 gb in a player?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I'm curious about Apple adding video capabilities to the Nano.

Doesn't Sandisk have a Flash MP3 player that has a color disply capable of playing video?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aspenboy

I'm have a 30 gb gen 3 ipod but i'm looking for something smaller and lighter. As I have slightly less than 6 gb of "highly rated" music in itunes, I figure I would be happy with a 6 or 8 GB nano.

Anyone have any ideas about when the memory would be upgraded to these higher capacities?

I've heard that SanDisk is supposed to release a 6gb flash player soon, so maybe Apple will follow suit soon.

Is flash memory too expensive to put 6-8 gb in a player?

Flash memory is expensive, about $50/GB if you buy it in the cheapest CF form factor, not to mention that the device is only six months from first introduction, generally Apple seems to update their iPods on an annual cycle, like the main iPod gets a major revision every fall.

I was fine with the capacity reduction because my iPod gets accidentally knocked around a bit, more durable, lighter and thinner is preferable, IMO.

It is still very possible to use a nano to automatically cycle through a huge library several times the capacity of the nano.

What I do is set up the nano to only sync to a small number of special purpose smart playlists. I keep a certain number of 4+ star tracks on there. On every sync, tracks with higher play counts are automatically removed over a certain play count and replaced with another 4+ star track with a lower play count.

I also have a second smart playlist that grabs a certain number of three star and unrated (no star) tracks that have no play count. Any of those tracks that get played get removed from the player on the next dock.

I don't play tracks once marked one or two stars as I just use those ratings to mark canidates for removing from my main library.

As time goes on, I can manually up the play count cutoff in the smart playlists as needed, which is pretty rare as it takes me a very long time to go through my library.