I'm switching to Linux/Windows

Comments

• Reply 101 of 157
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zenga

Placebo! Please let us all know your experience with windows "vista", I know you're a beta tester, maybe a bunch of us will follow your switch!

...?
  • Reply 102 of 157
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Placebo,

The Mac is not for you. Leave, and don't think twice about it.

If computer gaming is a high priority for a person, they should not be using a Mac. Nor should you bother trying to install Linux; maintaining and making it run will significantly cut into your gaming time. If gaming is what you dominantly use your computer for, then Windows is just something you have to tolerate in order to play.

On top of that, if you're someone who builds their own computer in order to get what you perceive to be the best value, then the Mac is not for you twice over. Apple, or any other OEM for that matter, does not supply that which you value.

Personally, I am highly opposed to home-built computers. $1,500 is just your startup cost. There are always surprises you simply can't anticipate when cobbling together your own set of parts. Component conflicts, driver incompatibility issues, and what have you. One person, no matter how intelligent they are, simply cannot piece together their pick of parts and assure they are cooled and powered sufficiently. Down the road, parts will burn out and fail because of this, and you will have to pay for replacements out of pocket. In my experience, those that build their own computers have the most system issues, replacement costs, and downtime. But that is the sacrafice they make in the name of computer gaming, and they are content with their situation.

I have friends who build their own, because they are gamers. They will never understand the value of a Mac, because they build monster gaming machines for $1,500 - $2,000. They don't care that it sounds like a dishwasher running next to their desk. They think blacklights lining the sides of the case and neon lights inside makes it look good. Reinstalling Windows three times a year doesn't phase them. Replacing a major failed component twice a year - power supply, graphics card, optical drives, motherboard, fans, etc - also doesn't phase them, nor do they factor it into the cost of ownership. They don't value their time, they don't value peace of mind, and they certainly don't value the ability to call tech support and say, "my computer doesn't turn on anymore, fix it!". All that matters to home-built PC users is that, when the computer is actually working, it can run game xxx at xxx frames per second. But alas, that's my personal observation.

If you ever find yourself no longer interested in computer gaming, too busy with other things to play games, or content with console gaming, by all means feel free to come back to the Mac. But right now you should go build your PC and game, because you are the polar opposite of Apple's target audience. Sorry it didn't work out for you.
  • Reply 103 of 157
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

Placebo,

If computer gaming is a high priority for a person, they should not be using a Mac. Nor should you bother trying to install Linux; maintaining and making it run will significantly cut into your gaming time. If gaming is what you dominantly use your computer for, then Windows is just something you have to tolerate in order to play.

On top of that, if you're someone who builds their own computer in order to get what you perceive to be the best value, then the Mac is not for you twice over. Apple, or any other OEM for that matter, does not supply that which you value.

Personally, I am highly opposed to home-built computers. $1,500 is just your startup cost. There are always surprises you simply can't anticipate when cobbling together your own set of parts. Component conflicts, driver incompatibility issues, and what have you. One person, no matter how intelligent they are, simply cannot piece together their pick of parts and assure they are cooled and powered sufficiently. Down the road, parts will burn out and fail because of this, and you will have to pay for replacements out of pocket. In my experience, those that build their own computers have the most system issues, replacement costs, and downtime. But that is the sacrafice they make in the name of computer gaming, and they are content with their situation.

I have friends who build their own, because they are gamers. They will never understand the value of a Mac, because they build monster gaming machines for $1,500 - $2,000. They don't care that it sounds like a dishwasher running next to their desk. They think blacklights lining the sides of the case and neon lights inside makes it look good. Reinstalling Windows three times a year doesn't phase them. Replacing a major failed component twice a year - power supply, graphics card, optical drives, motherboard, fans, etc - also doesn't phase them, nor do they factor it into the cost of ownership. They don't value their time, they don't value peace of mind, and they certainly don't value the ability to call tech support and say, "my computer doesn't turn on anymore, fix it!". All that matters to home-built PC users is that, when the computer is actually working, it can run game xxx at xxx frames per second. But alas, that's my personal observation.

If you ever find yourself no longer interested in computer gaming, too busy with other things to play games, or content with console gaming, by all means feel free to come back to the Mac. But right now you should go build your PC and game, because you are the polar opposite of Apple's target audience. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

amen that's exactly why I switched back to mac.. 8)
  • Reply 104 of 157
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member

...........Reinstalling Windows three times a year doesn't phase them. Replacing a major failed component twice a year - power supply, graphics card, optical drives, motherboard, fans, etc - also doesn't phase them, nor do they factor it into the cost of ownership. They don't value their time, they don't value peace of mind, and they certainly don't value the ability to call tech support and say, "my computer doesn't turn on anymore, fix it!". All that matters to home-built PC users is that, when the computer is actually working, it can run game xxx at xxx frames per second. But alas, that's my personal observation.

You mean "reinstalling windows three times a week just to get a particular game to hit xxx frames per second in the level yyy" doesn't phase them. I've been there, it's a fun, crazy world you describe, but not for heavy mac users that actually need to get shit done. and Linux, well, for me, that's got a lot of enterprise/ licensing/ cost saving issues for the worker beees. (edit: but not for the home use IMHO)
  • Reply 105 of 157
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Placebo,

S o V e r y T r u e . Great Post.

--B
  • Reply 106 of 157
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Placebo...stop hanging around these forums...you're making us believe like you care about the Mac. You don't *really* care about the Mac...do you!?
  • Reply 107 of 157
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

[B]Placebo...stop hanging around these forums...

Stop being an arrogant prick and stop telling people what to do when you have no such authority.

Quote:

you're making us believe like you care about the Mac. You don't *really* care about the Mac...do you!?

He's a 15-year old guy who happens to think that playing games is an important part of his days as a teenager. And he is absolutely right - it was for me, for my friends, people I've spoken to later on, etc. We didn't have computers at the time, couldn't afford them, but we did play them.

His views about the Mac are not political, as opposed to yours, and he doesn't think that "switching" is one more way to Kill Microsoft?. He doesn't care, nor should he.

Stop harassing the guy. And if you have something else to add to this (I apologize for being so off-topic) - use the PM function. Don't want to continue to answer to this charade anymore.
  • Reply 108 of 157
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Stop being an arrogant prick and stop telling people what to do when you have no such authority.

He's a 15-year old guy who happens to think that playing games is an important part of his days as a teenager. And he is absolutely right - it was for me, for my friends, people I've spoken to later on, etc. We didn't have computers at the time, couldn't afford them, but we did play them.

His views about the Mac are not political, as opposed to yours, and he doesn't think that "switching" is one more way to Kill Microsoft?. He doesn't care, nor should he.

Stop harassing the guy. And if you have something else to add to this (I apologize for being so off-topic) - use the PM function. Don't want to continue to answer to this charade anymore.

So you tell me to stop harassing him by harassing me?
  • Reply 109 of 157
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    KKS has every right to question the motives of a poster who created a thread about switching to windows/linux and then sticking around. What's the point really? I'd be a bit skeptical as well.

I like Placebo's posts. I feel he should in fact try linux and windows but not at the expensive of utilizing the Mac. Each platform has its relative benefits and it's never an either/or choice.

My selfish desire would be that Placebo sell his G5. Build a kick-butt gaming rig and keep a old Mac around to futz around with. Knowledge is power.
  • Reply 110 of 157
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

So it's being an "arrogant prick" to dis Placebo but you are right on point to order people to stop posting a certain way?

For heaven's sake, this is a Mac discussion forum. I don't see anything particularly surprising in wondering why someone who feels the platform doesn't meet their needs nevertheless feels the need to keep telling us so, in said forum.

I honestly could care less what computer people use. It doesn't matter to me one bit, and Placebo has made a convincing case that the Mac isn't for him, given his desires.

But I'm not particularly interested in hearing from PC users why the Mac doesn't cut it. If I wanted that I could hang out in the Battlefront forum over at Ars, you know?

Edit: whoops, already got said by the time I posted this.
  • Reply 111 of 157
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Are you talking just about the bleeding edge here? Because I needed a cheap computer as a server, so I decided to build one. It's been running Windows 2000 pretty much 24/7 for 2.5 years and I've never had a problem with it. Never had to re-install anything, nothing's ever over-heated, nothing's broken.
  • Reply 112 of 157
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by addabox

I honestly could care less what computer people use.

Could NOT care less. Think about it.
  • Reply 113 of 157
    Placebo: here's what you should do, is my humble recommendation.

1. get a mac mini core solo

2. hook it up to a display/keyboard/mouse/speaker switcher

3. hook the switcher up to you kickass gaming rig.

4. sell the g5

5. voila. best of all worlds. you'll be happy, i think
  • Reply 114 of 157
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

No, really, I could care less but it's not worth the effort .
  • Reply 115 of 157
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

That's the british expression, in the US, we say could care less... eh... it's probably just syllabic laziness.
  • Reply 116 of 157
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    The differences are significant enough.

"I couldn't care less"

Means you've reached the depths of apathy and cannot go any lower.

"I could care less"

Means fuk all. The person is now thinking "Well how much less could you care"

I know...some of you couldn't care less about the differences. To each their own.

• Reply 117 of 157
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    If this thread were an animal, I would euthenize it.
  • Reply 118 of 157
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

So you tell me to stop harassing him by harassing me?

In no way am I harassing you: you are being an arrogant prick by telling him to "stop hanging around these forums" as if you're the owner of these forums. You're not. You can't order people to stop hanging around these forums, especially not with dubious, fanboi excuses like "You don't *really* care about the Mac...do you!?"

Seriously, it's getting boring hearing you tell people to 'stop hanging around these boards' when you have no such authority. I, as a member, am annoyed by it, and I called you on it. You don't like it? Think about it next time you tell people to stop hanging around these boards.

Quote:

So it's being an "arrogant prick" to dis Placebo but you are right on point to order people to stop posting a certain way?

I'm not ordering. He's the one who's ordering people to 'stop hanging around these boards' with "supporting evidence" like ""You don't *really* care about the Mac...do you!?" and I just told him to stop harassing the guy just because he is going to sell his G5 so he can buy a PC.

Quote:

For heaven's sake, this is a Mac discussion forum. I don't see anything particularly surprising in wondering why someone who feels the platform doesn't meet their needs nevertheless feels the need to keep telling us so, in said forum.

Because there are different segments in one market, and if one segment is not being satisfied, there is a need to discuss about the requirements of said segment? Because it's normal in a discussion board to, you know, discuss issues, even if said issues are not positive or if they include a hint of critique toward the Mac? Or is it OK on a Mac board to just sing praises to Macs, with no sense of critique, even if such a critique is, in effect, positive and not based on some anti-Mac sentiment?

Quote:

But I'm not particularly interested in hearing from PC users why the Mac doesn't cut it.

He's not a PC user; he own a G5. Does that make qualify him in your eyes to say that Macs do not sufficiently fulfill his desire to use his expensive machine as a predominatly gaming-machine?

I don't care about gaming myself, nor do I care if he switches to Windows/Linux at the end of the day, but I find it kinda arrogant to tell people to stop posting in these boards just because they're not using (or they're not planning to continue using, anyway) Mac machines.

Quote:

My selfish desire would be that Placebo sell his G5. Build a kick-butt gaming rig and keep a old Mac around to futz around with. Knowledge is power.

Wich is exactly what he said he would do. But no... he has to stop posting here because he's not using a Mac anymore...
  • Reply 119 of 157
    I wish i was a 15 year old w/ a PMG5, but thats probably because i have a kickass PC that gets 500FPS in UT2004. Thats something Mac users could only dream of, me included.
  • Reply 120 of 157
    look. i'm getting my rocks off with F.E.A.R, UT2004, NeedForSpeed:MostWanted.... and HalfLife2 was great. I'm into the story/ adventure/ action aspect of these things, I tried out AgeOfEmpires3 but it didn't really get me going as much as the modern-warfare-type RealTimeStrategyGames.

My weapon of choice: custom built AMD64 Venice 3000+ (IIRC) with nVidia 6600GT 128mb vram. matched pair 2.5-3-3-7-1T 512mb x2 dimms (1gb total).

Am I happy I got to try this out?

1. Yes, because being a mac user for several years I never had the chance

2. Yes, because playstation/xbox gaming is just a weird mystery to me I'm scared to get involved in

3. Yes, because I get to use my PC for other stuff like web browsing, office, etc. when my parents (long story) are using the iBook g4.

What would I do differently given choices and budget now?

1. Get a Macbook Pro

2. Get a Sony PS2, trade up to PS3 when the time comes

3. Stop getting involved in "my graphic card can beat up your graphic card" arguments.

4. Stop using a windows/linux PC

That all said, I am one very very very happy nVidia customer.... though ATi is cool too 'coz it's in the Macbook Pro.

AND....would i ever game on the Mac? HELL YEAH, not the games those PC fanboys wet themselves about, but the generally FUN games that are on the Mac ... I can have my hardcore FPS/RTS/Whatever games on my PS2 or PS3, and I can have my fun, chillout, relaxing games on my Macbook Pro.

All this said, I actually right now don't need dual core so the single core 13" wide iBook (MacBook singlecore) will be just perfect..... c'mon stevie J !!!!