VLC problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have been using VLC for almost all video pretty much since I got my Mac. Recently, it just stoped working for no apparent reason. Whenever I try to pen a file, VLC opens fine however the video never starts and the control pane just says "text" where the file name should be (over the time indicator). Also, as soon as VLC opens my computer slows down to the point where it is very choppy and unusable. any suggestions? I've tried deleting VLC and reinstalling it a few times but to no avail.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Have you tried fixing permissions? Or you could download a different version of VLC. If you recently updated with a nightly build that could be the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    sekiosekio Posts: 150member
    I'm actually not sure what permissions are? How would I fix them?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    use footlights. it supports vlc imovie quicktime and windows media player files. it's simple but great and free.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...ootlights.html
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sekio

I'm actually not sure what permissions are? How would I fix them?

Permissions are fixable by opening Disk Utility in Applications -> Utilities then in Disk Utility clicking on your Hard Drive and selecting "Repair Disk Permissions". Permissions are exactly that, the User permissions (or preferences) attached to files, folders and applications. If one becomes damaged it can stop an application working properly and make your Mac run slower.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I did what you suggested and it worked to an extent. I can now open video without much problem however, VLC simply closes after a few seconds of being open (it even does it if I open it without asking it to play anything). After it closes, it says the program unexpectidly quit and asks me if I want to reopen or send a report to Apple.

Basicly, it's taken me beck to where I was before. i didn't put it in the message at the beginning but before it really started not working for me, this was the problem I was happening.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    What version of VLC are you using? You can find out by right clicking on the VLC icon and selecting "Get info".
  • Reply 7 of 13
  • Reply 8 of 13
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

You could try deleting the file

org.videolan.vlc.plist

in /Libary/Preferences.

But it seems to me like something else is interfering. Download a new copy of the VLC player - can't hurt.

Did you add any utilities or haxies recently?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Is that 0.8.4a or just 0.8.4, because if its the first then its a work in progress version of VLC. You could try using an older version. You can get these from here.

Try downloading 0.8.2 and see if that works.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I tried all the solutions, I downloaded older versions, I tried fixing my disk utilities and deleted the file mentioned above but nothing has worked.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Are you sure that it is only vlc that is not working properly? What about other video apps, games etc?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    All my other video aps are working fine, Quick Time, Real Player, WMP and Flip4mac, Mplayer is working as well as it usually does (I've never been very happy with its performance). Everything else on my computer is working just as it always has, only VLC is giving me trouble.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Ok well there's a few things you can do.

Two you could try looking at the VLC FAQ here.

Failing that, go to the VLC site, register on the forums and post your problems in the OS X section of the forums.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help. Have you tried opening a variety of different files with different file formats?