AVI player ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I need an AVI player for Tiger. Any suggestion ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    VLC
  • Reply 2 of 9
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

VLC

Thanks a lot mate, it works very well !

I also tried MPlayer OSX, which works too, but VLC appears to be nicer.

Thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

I need an AVI player for Tiger. Any suggestion ?

The QuickTime Player.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

The QuickTime Player.

Mine can't seem to play AVI files properly , do I need to upgrade to the PRO version?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by smclintock

Mine can't seem to play AVI files properly , do I need to upgrade to the PRO version?

You can upgrade to QuickTime Pro if you want. I recommend that you do so. To get most .avi files to play, download and install the DivX codec. I recommend that you locate, download, and install every available QuickTime codec. You with then be able to use, not just play, nearly every media file in nearly every QT-compatible app.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

You can upgrade to QuickTime Pro if you want. I recommend that you do so. To get most .avi files to play, download and install the DivX codec. I recommend that you locate, download, and install every available QuickTime codec. You with then be able to use, not just play, nearly every media file in nearly every QT-compatible app.

Thanks for the advice.

Could you possibly give me a link to the relevant codec? I've installed similar codecs for Windows before but not entirely sure what I should be looking for using on the mac.

Edit : Nevermind, got it, but the sound doesn't work properly which is kinda annoying.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    IMO, it doesn't seem to matter how many codecs you install into quicktime, it will screw up playing some movies. I always have to end up using VLC or MPlayer. The thing is, with them being open source you'd think someone could just take out the decoders and wrap them into a QT component.

People might ask what the point would be when you could just use VLC or MPlayer. Well, it's because QT Pro is quite a nice little editing package. Plus, so many apps are QT compatible that you could load all manner of clips into any QT compatible software.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Yeah, Quicktime is hit-and-miss with AVI. Overall I just use VLC for that.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Marvin

People might ask what the point would be when you could just use VLC or MPlayer. Well, it's because QT Pro is quite a nice little editing package. Plus, so many apps are QT compatible that you could load all manner of clips into any QT compatible software.

Another reason is that both VLC and both releases of MPlayer have stability issues. Oddly enough, Cellulo, a QuickTime-compatible, MPlayer-based media player is rock-solid and makes both VLC and MPlayer look like an old shoe.