Internal CD-RW Available for old iMacs, Any chance of a combo drive?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
MacNN reported <a href="http://store.powerbook1.com/mcein16xcddr.html"; target="_blank">this</a> new CD-RW that is available for first generation iMacs (233-333Mhz, tray loading). It is an internal CD-RW drive that writes disks at upto 16x (16/10/24). It retains all of the original drives functionality and adds the ability to burn cds.

This drive seems like a welcome change from my crappy Sony usb burner, which burns more coasters than usable cds. If this was a combo drive i would almost certainly buy it. This makes me curious as to weather or not a combo drive would be usable inside an old imac. Do my rage pro and 333mhz g3 (rage II in older imacs) have enough power to play dvds? and if so is it logical to expect a similar combo drive in the near future?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Isn't the drive in the older iMacs just a laptop drive? if that's the case then can't you find a laptop combo drive?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    That's a good question EmAn, when i had it apart it seemed very similar to a laptop drive. Also it doesn't seem to have a power connector, just the ide cable (i'll try and find a pic)
  • Reply 3 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Yes it is, though I don't think a normal one would work. It has little hooks that keep it in place, a custom face plate and god knows what else to make it work in there . I'll report back next time I tear apart my iMac.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I know in my 450 iMac, it just has the IDE cable. But maybe you could split it down into 2 normal ide cables, and then split the power connector for the HD.. My iMac power supply is rated at just 130 watts, so I have no clue what the older ones would be like..
  • Reply 5 of 9
    gumby5647gumby5647 Posts: 241member
    The older tray loading iMac's video cards are unable to decode DVD movies. You would need some sort of hardware decoder along with the combo drive....
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    [quote]Originally posted by gumby5647:

<strong>The older tray loading iMac's video cards are unable to decode DVD movies. You would need some sort of hardware decoder along with the combo drive....</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thats what i figured, i was just hoping that because apple's DVD player app uses all software for decoding i would be able to play dvds.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    Apple doesn't recommend writing DVD's from anyting less than a 550mhz G4.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by norfa:

<strong>Apple doesn't recommend writing DVD's from anyting less than a 550mhz G4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

So? We're just talking about reading DVDs, not writing.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gumby5647gumby5647 Posts: 241member
    from what i understand. You would be able to read a DVD data disk. But unable to play DVD movies.