30Boxes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Finally someone has heeded my suggestion and has created a decent looking online calendar. I'm horrible about keeping one on paper so perhaps this will bring a little organization to my life. I'm reading that Google is about ready to announce an online calendar as well but until then check this one out. Gotta love free

www.30boxes.com

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Why isn't this a part of .mac?

I've been using this for a week and my Gawd if you're busy and have a hard time co-ordinating things with your family or lady or anything it's a lifesaver.

Maybe I'm wrong but does .Mac even offer an online calendar that can be shared? I really think Apple has dropped the ball here. They could have done so much

Imagine where you have birthdays for some people with photos (iPhoto) from that date linked to the calendar date.

Concerts could be linked to iTunes files. etc.

Seems like Apple could be really making .mac a must have and they really aren't leading.

Google is going to be making an online calendar as well but it'll have to be really good to get me off of 30b because I'm loyal and I want to stick with these guys and watch the product mature.

Go download this and start getting organized with your time you loafs!! :P
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

Why isn't this a part of .mac?

...Maybe I'm wrong but does .Mac even offer an online calendar that can be shared? ...

It is.

It's called iCal.

Your calenders can be published, then accessed from any internet connected computer.

Others running OSX can even have your published calender automatically downloaded to thier iCal.app for non-connected viewing.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    That's cool.

Will I be able to view my calendar as well as others from like work and modify them? I really need a ubiquitous calendar that on a whim can be updated.

The problem with something like Outlook is that Microsoft basically has no desire to make it easy for you to export. CSV??? Yuck...may as well put "we'll manage your schedule for a fee, leave us and you're hosed" on the box.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I would expect that more online components will be released as part of .Mac in the future. You can already edit contacts, and I'm not sure about bookmarks. Your idisk can be accessed via a web interface and all that's missing is editing calendars.

I'm almost always on a Mac so I use iCal and my iPod all the time, but if I had to mingle with PCs, I'd want a way to edit my iCal calendars via .Mac.

I love .mac syncing, btw. Can't love it enough!
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Yes if you're talking about Killer Apps. If you want the next big thing. Then it's all about managing your busy life/schedule with Web 2.0

30 Boxes has the right idea. It allows me to attach my flickr photos to calendar days. It links (rudimentary right now) with upcoming.org for entertainment events. Myspace and others are included.

Man with Apple's pull they could really do some nice things on the backend for .mac to spur the use and integration with these tools.

Google is pretty much showing their hand. The computer is irrelevant. Your applications can and will be accessible online at all times. They will find success here because Microsoft is all about lockin. The web is all about freedom of data and access.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I'm not sure if you can EDIT the calendars online ... you might have to be using iCal.app to actually EDIT them.

Viewing/sharing them is a piece o' cake though.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    When the hell will iCal support SSL subscriptions. Right now I have to use a local PHP script as a passthrough to safeguard some good stuff. To be fair the PHP script also handles authentication, so who knows.

Perhaps this and subscription podcast authentication is related? Ehh?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I love .mac syncing, btw. Can't love it enough!

Except the part about it stalling out the finder and being ridiculously slow.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Holy smokes. I said Google's CL2 Calendar would have to be pretty damn good to woo me....it just might be.

Google's Outlook Killer(Sorry....couldn't resist)

Looks like it's going to hit the ground with a lot more features than I thought.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnySmith

Except the part about it stalling out the finder and being ridiculously slow.

You talking idisk syncing or contacts and whatnot?