smaller mbp

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
anyone else dying in agony waiting for a smaller (12-13.3" widescreen) to be announced?

I crave 1280*800 resolution

x1300 or x1600 graphics

core duo processor

backlit keyboard

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    Yep. Or a Core Duo non-Pro MacBook (iBook replacement). I don't care if it's clad in aluminum or plastic, and if I can save a few bucks getting a plastic notebook while giving up a feature I don't need I may do that instead.

What I want for a decent price:

MacBook

1.67 Core Duo

13.3" 1280x800

Intel GMA950 graphics

up to 2GB RAM

60GB-SATA HD

SuperDrive

Gigabit Ethernet

DVI port (how's about: if it can't drive two displays, how's about only driving the external one when it's connected?)

Firewire 400 port

I don't think I need better than integrated graphics and won't pay extra for that plus an aluminium case if the rest of the above specs are available in a non-Pro MacBook.

Voch
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I really, really, really like the backlit keyboard. That is one of the features that makes the powerbook the BMW of computers. Little luxury's like that really do go a long way in my eyes.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    I'll weigh the options and see what I'm willing to spend when the time comes. I'm just seriously itching to get some serious Java work done and my 'ol TiBook just isn't up to the task.

Voch
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Smaller yes, but if it is still a full keyboard, I just hope they put in slight more ergonomic keyboards. I have large hands (I can palm a basketball) and the current keyboard is rather uncomfortable to type on. For my desktop I have MS natual keyboard that makes all the difference in the world.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The big question is how much are you willing to pay?

I'd pay practically 15" MacBook Pro prices for a 13" model as long as the features and power are there.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

The big question is how much are you willing to pay?

I'd pay practically 15" MacBook Pro prices for a 13" model as long as the features and power are there.

Ya, I tend to agree. As nice as the 15" MacBook Pro is right now, I'm typing this on my 15" PB at school and it gets to be a bear at times. Not overly conducive to taking notes in a class, takes up enough room that if I need to bring a bunch of books to class I need to bring two bags [though this is because I'm ab it of a pussy and don't want my computer being crushed]. I get envious of 12" PBs and iBooks at times even though I know they are under powered for many of the tasks I use my computer for. I've even seen some people around campus with those 12 or 13.3" widescreen Sony VAIOs and I must say "Wow." I'd never buy one, but if Apple were to take a similar stance in terms of form factor [save for the shitty screen, huge screen bezzel, and garbage keyboard] and were able to stuff the guts of the current MBP into it [or something close to it], that would be one damn fine portable computer.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

Ya, I tend to agree. As nice as the 15" MacBook Pro is right now, I'm typing this on my 15" PB at school and it gets to be a bear at times. Not overly conducive to taking notes in a class, takes up enough room that if I need to bring a bunch of books to class I need to bring two bags [though this is because I'm ab it of a pussy and don't want my computer being crushed]. I get envious of 12" PBs and iBooks at times even though I know they are under powered for many of the tasks I use my computer for. I've even seen some people around campus with those 12 or 13.3" widescreen Sony VAIOs and I must say "Wow." I'd never buy one, but if Apple were to take a similar stance in terms of form factor [save for the shitty screen, huge screen bezzel, and garbage keyboard] and were able to stuff the guts of the current MBP into it [or something close to it], that would be one damn fine portable computer.

You should get a sleevecase from WaterField Designs that way you can use your backpack and keep your laptop safe. Their cases are solid and I couldn't recommend them enough.

Meanwhile, if I only had one machine, I'd want the 15" for its expansive screen. (Oh so much better than my Ti's old school screen.) However, since I have a G5 already, a 13.1" widescreen that is pretty portable is likely the way I'd go. If its not widescreen or is crippled in some way I'll end up going 15" though.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voch

Yep. Or a Core Duo non-Pro MacBook (iBook replacement). I don't care if it's clad in aluminum or plastic, and if I can save a few bucks getting a plastic notebook while giving up a feature I don't need I may do that instead.

What I want for a decent price:

MacBook

1.67 Core Duo

13.3" 1280x800

Intel GMA950 graphics

up to 2GB RAM

60GB-SATA HD

SuperDrive

Gigabit Ethernet

DVI port (how's about: if it can't drive two displays, how's about only driving the external one when it's connected?)

Firewire 400 port

Voch

Sounds good to me, except I do think it would be worthwhile to bump the hard drive and graphics up a bit. Personally, I would like to see at least an X1300 graphics chip in there, and I think they should at least keep 80GB as the standard hard drive. I think it is a given that the smaller MacBook won't have Expresscard, though. I also don't mind if Apple makes it a bit thicker than the MacBook Pro though -- they would probably need to stack a daughtercard anyway to make it all fit in an enclosure designed to match a 13.3 display, just as they do now with the 12 inch Powerbook.