Apple iTunes popularity to surpass RealPlayer

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I've felt that iTunes's video playback is somewhat laggy so I don't use it except for subscribed video podcasts (Ask A Ninja anyone?). Also it needs fullscreen controls like those found in QuickTime Player.

And yes, Real Player and Windows Media Player = junk.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I've felt that iTunes's video playback is somewhat laggy so I don't use it except for subscribed video podcasts (Ask A Ninja anyone?). Also it needs fullscreen controls like those found in QuickTime Player.

Very true about fullscreen controls. I gave that feedback a few times!
  • Reply 23 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by the cool gut

Well, not that I care - but it doesn't exactly jump out at you.

But they aren't hiding it like Real used to with their free player, nor is it like Yahoo or a hardware review site that hides things in plain sight using clutter.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I've felt that iTunes's video playback is somewhat laggy so I don't use it except for subscribed video podcasts (Ask A Ninja anyone?).

It does take a while to respond, and it is pretty bad in that way.

Quote:

Also it needs fullscreen controls like those found in QuickTime Player.

More like in Quicktime Pro, unless they have changed that. In that respect, Apple is acting fairly Real-esque because full screen shouldn't be a paid feature.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Real is debatable, but WMP on Windows is a pretty decent player. It surely beats QuickTime as a media player. And by media I mean video as well as audio.

Real is also decent on the Mac and Linux. iTunes for Windows is not exactly the best piece of software out there. Foobar2000, while offering roughly the same features (sans iTMS), manages to be a fast, lightweight, modular piece of software.

iTunes.exe just isn't. iTunes.app is much better.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Booga

Fascinating... I wish Apple would point to this when Windows users request Quicktime. Pointing them to iTunes just pisses people off.

On the real player site they essentially do the same thing. And a couple years ago it was near impossible to find on their page.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grahamw

You're not kidding. I installed iTunes the other day and when I came home my apartment had been sacked by Greeks. There was feta everywhere.

I say bring on the DRM. We need more Digital Ransacking Management.

That's actually funny!
  • Reply 28 of 31
    I haven't forgotten how arrogant and neglectful Real was when OS X was introduced. They took their *sweet* time to introduce a compatible player. My have things changed.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JeffDM

[BMore like in Quicktime Pro, unless they have changed that. In that respect, Apple is acting fairly Real-esque because full screen shouldn't be a paid feature. [/B]

True, I take having QuickTime Pro for granted. Then again it aint that expensive either. And users with FrontRow get an improved experience anyhow.

On Windows I bet WMP isn't half bad. Hopefully the intel macs will help Apple provide a better Windows experience too.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Why won't Real and WindowsMedia roll over and die already ?!!!
  • Reply 31 of 31
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    One thing I don't like about QT is that QT links (Apple's HD trailers, streaming Apple Events, etc.) don't change the mouse cursor, don't indicate the "linkiness" of the object.

Anyone else?

--B