Treo 650 and Verizon

jbljbl
Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was going to upgrade my cell phone to a Treo 650 today, so I stopped in at the Verizon store. The sales guy said that Verison has crippled the Bluetooth on the 650 due to some security concerns so that it could only be used with bluetooth headsets. Is this true? Is anyone using a 650 with Verizon and if so can you sync over Bluetooth and/or use Sailing Clicker?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    regreg Posts: 832member
    I have had my 650 with verizon since Oct 05 and bluetooth works with it. If there are a lot of changes or I am loading a movie or transferring a bunch of pics I will use the cradle and the usb connection, it is so much faster. I have never tried using the sailing clicker. From the Brighthand Treo 650 forum someone mentions they got it working.

You might also want to read up about problems people have had with verizon wireless sync . It is a web based app for your mail, calendar etc. It doesn't always play nice. Versamail came with the install disk and I should have just used that.

Aside from that I like the coverage with verizon and the 650 has been a great phone.

reg
  • Reply 2 of 11
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    Do not waste you money by purchasing the 650 when they have the 700. The 700 is far better than the 650 will ever be. The only reason to buy the 650 is if you want the palm OS to sync easier with the mac.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    The crippling of Bluetooth on the 650 is just to disable dial up networking - i.e. you can't use the Treo as a bluetooth modem on your mac. You can still use it as a modem via USB though.

There was/is a patch out there that re-enables DUN via bluetooth. I had it and it worked fine. Then I upgraded the firmware on the 650 and I've never installed the patch.

That said, I'm not 100% happy with the Treo. It has a nasty habit of not ringing - I suspect this is due to the e-mail push happening at the same time as the call - I use both the Verizon Wireless Sync and GoodLink to connect to my company and my customer's systems (I'm a government consultant amongst other things).

I have to reboot my Treo fairly regularly (at least twice a week), and every week or two it freezes or randomly reboots.

The Treo is also somewhat clunky in the way it handles things. The 700 might be better, but having used the Treo for a year now and having a Blackberry my customer provides as well, I would recommend going with a Blackberry - much smoother integration of push e-mail, and just better to use.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hxc04

Do not waste you money by purchasing the 650 when they have the 700. The 700 is far better than the 650 will ever be. The only reason to buy the 650 is if you want the palm OS to sync easier with the mac.

Care to elaborate? My reasons for preferring the 650 are

1) Palm vs Windows. I like the Palm OS. My limited experience with Windows CE has been pretty negative.

2) Price. The 650 is $200 cheaper.

Before I buy, I am curious why you think that the 700 is so much better. My main intended uses are:

Phone (of course)

Organizer (calendar, contacts, to do...)

and to a lesser extent:

Listen to podcasts

Photo album

My main criteria are:

Ease of use

Ease of syncing with Mac

Do you think the 700 would really be a better deal for me?
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kiwi-in-dc

The Treo is also somewhat clunky in the way it handles things. The 700 might be better, but having used the Treo for a year now and having a Blackberry my customer provides as well, I would recommend going with a Blackberry - much smoother integration of push e-mail, and just better to use.

Thanks for the advice. What do you find clunky about the 650? I am not planning on using it for email, so I haven't concidered the Blackberry.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    hxc04hxc04 Posts: 145member
    The 700 is has been getting much higer reviews than the 650. Check out phonescoop.com and check it out. It uses outlook which is pretty awesome along with mobile office unlike the 650 where you can just view .doc and .ppt. With the 700 you can actually open word and type a document or make a ppt. Do you plan on using the internet through verizon?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Some examples: The keyboard keys are very small (smaller than the blackberry), so dialing the phone is hard - the onscreen dialing is worse, hard to hit the right buttons when finger dialing. Also, since I'm using GoodLink, hitting the numbers on the keyboard just does a name lookup so I'm forced to use the onscreen.

The e-mail sync from Verizon is slow - lots of time used to receive mail, which means that calls frequently go to voicemail. Made doubly bad because I'm using GoodLink as well.

Many Palm apps don't do too well with the keyboard - some just don't quite work right.

The phone integration to the Palm apps is less than optimal - addresses for instance. GoodLink is much better at this, but not quite as good.

All the available web browsers are terrible. They're either text only, or full graphics whch makes them almost unusable - I can use it in a pinch, but even simple things can be a pain - e.g. using yahoo maps or mapquest just doesn't work - the maps are too small to read with no way of enlarging them.

The BB is much better on all these counts, and I suspect the 700 would score better though syncing with a Mac is more of a pain.

Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Thanks for the advice. What do you find clunky about the 650? I am not planning on using it for email, so I haven't concidered the Blackberry.

• Reply 8 of 11
    I'm not sure where hxc04 is getting his reviews, but from all the review sites I've seen, the 650 is still the most stable and best performing Treo that Palm has to offer. One of your criteria was to work with Mac, just by that requirement don't even consider the 700. I know it's a rumor, but supposedly the 700p will be out soon.

Also, hxc04 said that you can't edit word and powerpoint files on the 650... he's totally wrong again. The 650 comes with Documents to Go software with it that actually has more power to CREATE and EDIT new/existing Word, Excel and Powerpoint files than the built in function microsoft puts into the mobile windows platform. I've personally used both and I always somehow find myself back with my Treo. I also have used a few different Blackberry devices and find them slower, more problematic and less compatible with about everthing else. Not to mention the stupid scroll wheel. I've had more issues with my clients and their blackberry's than any other device. But I guess you can always get new one's if you get the warranty!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JBL

Care to elaborate? My reasons for preferring the 650 are

1) Palm vs Windows. I like the Palm OS. My limited experience with Windows CE has been pretty negative.

2) Price. The 650 is $200 cheaper.

Before I buy, I am curious why you think that the 700 is so much better. My main intended uses are:

Phone (of course)

Organizer (calendar, contacts, to do...)

and to a lesser extent:

Listen to podcasts

Photo album

My main criteria are:

Ease of use

Ease of syncing with Mac

Do you think the 700 would really be a better deal for me?

A friend of mine just got a Treo 650 and I've never seen so many reboots and random crashing in a Palm-type device. I don't see how a business can depend on this thing. I was going to get one but now, I'm looking at a Treo 700 or a Blackberry.

My two cents.

• Reply 10 of 11
    Never rebooted my treo 650 over the past year+

Stable and syncs well with macs and PCs.

Mike Byrne
  • Reply 11 of 11
    My 650 has developed a buzzing sound while talking on the phone. I haven't tried to get it fixed as I am afraid of how much the repair will cost.