I'm switching to Linux/Windows

Comments

• Reply 121 of 157
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Firstoff - the G5 isn't yet out of my possession. It will be this weekend (for $1600), so I'm buying an [b]iPod[b/] to a) back my data up with and b) to provide a humble offering to Kim Kap Sol so that I may continue to behold the great priveledge of posting on his forum.

Second, I really truly love the Mac, and I find its OS to be its most powerful advantage and reason I've put up with its overpriced hardware and other limits until now. Windows is really not that atrocious for me at least: I use it at school, I use it on my friends' PCs, and I'm willing to save a grand and have an infinite path of hardware upgradeability, for the price of the operating system. That said, I will still try to run the Mac OS on the illicit new hardware, but I'm not counting on that to be successful.

Third, Vista has been confirmed not to never run on the Intel Macs, at least current hardware and the launch build of Vista.

Fourth, a) this thread is relevant to the Mac and b) I'm going to continue posting here for quite a while further. There are plenty of people around here who use PCs, and I still like the Mac and most of its users.
  • Reply 122 of 157
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    I'm posting this on a PC ... Let's talk specs baby. RAM: 2-2-2-5-1T ? video: 7800 GTX? or 7600GT? hard disk: 160GB SATA? 7200rpm 16mb cache? YEAHHHHHHHHH, let's talk specs baby. Talk it to me dirty............ YEAHHHHH
  • Reply 123 of 157
    Er.

Well, I'm going for a 7900GTX with 512 VRAM, a 4400+ X2, and a solid 160GB SATA drive.
  • Reply 124 of 157
    oh bollocks. i just wet myself. thanks a lot, placebo. enjoy your pc orgasm. say goodbye to mac . we just don't have the hot and heavy specs you obviously enjoy
  • Reply 125 of 157
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Is it wrong of me to laugh at sunil's posts?
  • Reply 126 of 157
    hell no. i'm flattered by your appreciation (i'll take it at that) of my humour
  • Reply 127 of 157
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Is it wrong of me to laugh at sunil's posts?

"The first lesson you learn at the Clown Academy is, those people are laughing at you, not with you."
  • Reply 128 of 157
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

"The first lesson you learn at the Clown Academy is, those people are laughing at you, not with you."

The only thing is that I;m not sure if he's genuine or sarcastic right now.

Because if it's sarcasm, it's pure genius. Comedy gold.

Quote:

I'm posting this on a PC ... Let's talk specs baby. RAM: 2-2-2-5-1T ? video: 7800 GTX? or 7600GT? hard disk: 160GB SATA? 7200rpm 16mb cache? YEAHHHHHHHHH, let's talk specs baby. Talk it to me dirty............ YEAHHHHH

When I read this I pissed myself.
  • Reply 129 of 157
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The thing is, it's pure specwhore style, to a *tee*. Indistinguishable from the real thing.

And really folks, isn't that what parody is all about?
  • Reply 130 of 157
  • Reply 131 of 157
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Personally, I don't use games and won't consider developing any type of game until OS X gets OpenGL 2 standard, has their resolution independence implemented and a clean Cocoa Gamesprockets API set of frameworks to develop on.

However, OS X and Linux are the only Operating systems I'll continue to support and use.

Fortunately, Linux will be ported to the Intel Macs. This is an advantage of an Open Source Kernel.
  • Reply 132 of 157
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Patric Nortan, former co-hodt of the ScreenSavers on TechTv once made a mac v gamerpc analogy that I really like. Forgive me as I will likly not do it justice.

something like "when you look at the horsepower rating in a Rolse Royce brosure it says 'enough' "

I think of it like this, they are two differant beasts.

A gamer PC is like an NHRA dragster,really cool and fast, with an exotic paint job and maybe neon just to show off, and because of the abuse they take, they get rebuilt every couple of weeks

Average Macs (and a lot of run-of-the-mill beige boxes) are like an appliance, its there, and does its job untill the owner decides to get a new one or it dies, little care is given, little attention is paid to them, they "just have to work"

I hate the 7800 w/128 v 7800 w/256 v Radion -whatever-the-hell battles that gamers get into, nothing more annoying than when a buddy brings up a card and starts a fight with the other 3 game nerds at the table...FOR FUCK SAKE GAMES ARE NOT LIFE OR DEATH...

Not ot worry on the mac, whatever card they use, it will work optimully, that is the beuty of integration.

**this comment has nothing to do with what computer or multimedia pros use, for pros it is a whole differant ball game.
  • Reply 133 of 157
    I can't say that a graphics card works "optimally" in a Mac, not with Apple's OGL.
  • Reply 134 of 157
    Quote:

Originally posted by mdriftmeyer

Fortunately, Linux will be ported to the Intel Macs. This is an advantage of an Open Source Kernel.

Sort of a general question...

I can see the point of using Linux on a PC that would otherwise use Windows, but why use Linux on a modern Mac, given that MacOSX is based on UNIX?
  • Reply 135 of 157
    Because most people don't use an operating system because of what it's based on, but what it does.
  • Reply 136 of 157
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Um, since you can run X11 on a mac, it can do pretty much the same things as Linux can.
  • Reply 137 of 157
    Originally posted by a_greer

......Not ot worry on the mac, whatever card they use, it will work optimully, that is the beuty of integration........

On the Mac it doesn't matter anyway because Mac video cards are generally not that great. x600... x1600... GMA950... pfft
  • Reply 138 of 157
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Originally posted by a_greer

......Not ot worry on the mac, whatever card they use, it will work optimully, that is the beuty of integration........

On the Mac it doesn't matter anyway because Mac video cards are generally not that great. x600... x1600... GMA950... pfft

6600, 7800, Quadra...lets not compare apples to oranges here, gamers spend $$$ on towers, look at falcon, aleinware, and the like, hell look at custom built rigs...they usually cost more than an imac or mac mini (if you include a legal copy of an OS (which isnt a consern now because gamers are getting 3rd use out of their XP pro by now, assuming a new PC every ~18 months to keep up with the latest FPS)

For what they are, Apples PM towers are way over priced, but I think the pricepoints of today will be more than fair when the intel switch happens, assuming they use the latest and greatest that intel offers, which they will
  • Reply 139 of 157
    Not sure about the iMac (even if you factor in the screen in both ways comparison) but most gaming PC rigs are definitely more expensive than the Mac mini, you have a point there.

I guess you guys are probably sick of hearing me say it, the reason why I went with my own built rig instead of a Mac mini is because we (the family) already have an iBook and I was really curious about NeedForSpeed: Most Wanted (can't play it now, reached a stage where it's too bloody hard) and Half Life 2 (super excellent, finished it) and F.E.A.R. (very nice but somewhat monotonous).

Tell you all what though, in hindsight I would have gone with a PS2 for some casual gaming (puzzle, fighting, shooting) and a Mac mini for other stuff.

But building my own rig, some good power on a thin budget makes me feel good.

edit: but i must say, PC gaming is a very weird beast indeed. Very weird in terms of the whole psychology and marketing and competition/synergy with consoles and stuff...
  • Reply 140 of 157
    Also, I got a chance to try out this whole Linux thing but really, personally I found it to be rubbish** and totally not for me.

**Feel free to flame the f*ck out of me