From Windows to OS X Incubation Period?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I am a busy person.

I grew up on Windows.

Would love to learn the Mac.

Worried because of potential time implications.

Is the OS X that vastly different from Windows?

Will logic guide me through?

How long will it take to familiarise myself with OS X?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    objra10objra10 Posts: 679member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kmhtkmhtkmht

I am a busy person.

I grew up on Windows.

Would love to learn the Mac.

Worried because of potential time implications.

Is the OS X that vastly different from Windows?

Will logic guide me through?

How long will it take to familiarise myself with OS X?

How smart are you?

Seriously. If you're good with computers, and learn quickly - you can be comfortable after a couple hours, and just about fluent in a week or so.

It's pretty intuitive, however I notice that many Windows users - instead of looking for the obvious or intuitive answer - they look for the "windows" answer. Go with your intuition - not your previous experience.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by OBJRA10

Go with your intuition - not your previous experience.

Intuition is based on previous experience. It isn't magic.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

Human intuition. Real-world experience. I want these two things together. Draaag. Boom. I want a menu whose title has something to do with its contents.

--B
  • Reply 4 of 22
    I can spare a couple of hours - I have spent too much time and money chasing after Windows - I'll budget a week for this, my major reason for doing this is productivity - I've become far too familiar with Windows and I think productivity has gone down as a result as I am too much in a routine with it, worrying about keeping it secure etc...

Is OS X Secure?

Need I spend time perfecting Firewalls and closing ports with Apple?

Out of the Box - Can you trust your Mac to house sensitive information?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

Intuition is based on real world interaction. Action that you eventually need not think about to execute. That's right, this is why Windows is NOT intuitive because it wasn't designed with that in mind. The Mac was.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    I think it took me about a week to get used to OS X from OS 9. But that was in the very early days. Things have improved much...

Many things are extremely intuitive. "How should I do this the easiest way? Let's try just dragging this here... It worked!" Other things require a learning curve. The learning curve is much smoother than the windows one, but first you will need to unlearn a few typical windows behaviours. But once you've done that, you'll be a lot more effective.

I'd say about a week, if you're moderately computer-savvy...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
  • Reply 8 of 22
    i switched mid-last year..

got the hang of the system within a week or two..

kinda got fed up with it (i guess it was because of the simplicity)..

then i went back to using windows..

and within 1 hr...i went back to the mac..

windows was just awful after i used a mac....

anyway..

I've basically learned all that is neccessary for myself within 2-3 weeks..

If i spent more time discovering each aspects of OSX (which i didn't) I'd probably do it within 1 week.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    I switched about 3 weeks ago now, and it only took me around 3 hours until I got to grips with it properly. Everything is so easy, and I can understand why OBJRA10 was talking about intuition. Simple things like adding items to the dock or trying to see my Airport's signal strength were puzzling at first, but obviously only took a few minutes to figure out.

The biggest difference I found is how you go about installing applications, that took a day to figure out properly but now it's easy as everything else on OS X.

It took me about 3 days overall to become completey fluent in OS X, so I'd imagine it would be similar for anyone else moving from Windows XP to OS X.

Good Luck with the switch
  • Reply 10 of 22
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    "Once you go Mac - you'll never go back!"

I made the switch 6 months ago and my only regret is in not doing it sooner ! The learning curve is very short to intially get up and running with the Mac - for me, 15 minutes out of the box, I was up, running and online! Things like learning Applescript may take a little longer, but I've really not had an overwhelming need for that yet. There's a ton of software available, and a lot of it is "FREE!" There's also an unbelievable amount of support, such as this forum for example!

I would recommend getting AppZapper - $12.95, it's a utility for removing applications completely from your system. Installing and removing programs from the Mac is very easy - as well as upgrading, however, there are supporting files that you often miss that will consume disk space and resources unnecessarily if you don't get them all. AppZapper assists in ensuring the supporting files get trashed as well ! You will be downloading and evaluating a lot of software over time, being able to confidently remove the ones you don't need or use is most definitely beneficial, in my opinion of course. You can get AppZapper here: AppZapper 1.2

Welcome, and I think you're going to like it here !
  • Reply 11 of 22
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Intuition is based on real world interaction. Action that you eventually need not think about to execute. That's right, this is why Windows is NOT intuitive because it wasn't designed with that in mind. The Mac was.

Yeah, keep believing that.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I tell most switchers it takes a month but everyone is different. If you are a master at Windows then it will take longer to find all the bells and whistles you are used to on Windows. The biggest gripe I get from switchers is the keyboard shortcuts. Good luck and welcome to the Mac.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gene Clean

Yeah, keep believing that.

iDo, isn't obvious?

• Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

This is very stupid. Don't get me wrong, i like using my Mac and am glad i made the switch from Windows but some of the stuff that comes from certain users on Apple forums borders on insane.

Some people need to get over blasting windows just for the sake of it. All it does is put potential switchers off.

**Edit**

I see your're joking from your post above. Very sorry.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    I made the switch last fall. Even before switching I bought "Missing Manual for OS X" and read the first couple of chapters so that I had some idea of what to expect with my new Mac. While I think I would have eventually figured out most of what I really needed to know, the detail laid out in the chapters of that book allowed me to become "fluent" more quickly.

How long? I would say that within a few days I was operating at productive levels. Now, 7 or 8 months later, I don't even think about what I am doing anymore. My Mac has become a tool that I use nearly transparently, rather than a machine with which I have to wrestle in order to get it to submit to my will.

I agree with the other posters who suggest that you will need to "unlearn" certain windows behaviors to fully take advantage of what OS X has to offer. I wish I could give you a concrete example, but trust me when I say that thinking in "windows" will limit your productivity on a Mac.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    i think the most important things for a switcher to take advantage of and figure out are:

the hide command (apple/command + h)

expose

and that's it, and they don't really have a windows equivalent. if you find yourself minimizing windows while multi-tasking, you aren't using the OS as it was meant to be used.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    My motto for the Mac has always been, "If you think it should be able to do something, it probably can. Just try it or look it up."
  • Reply 18 of 22
    If you worry about the shift, it will make things more diffficult. Think positively and you'll get the hang of things very quickly. I read somewhere an interesting article about how people think computers are difficult to use but driving a car is easy. The latter is far more complicated than the former.

Not sure what apps you intend to use but the apps in iLife are all very similar, which eases the learning curve.

As to your security concerns:

In System Preferences, click Sharing, then Firewall, then On; click Advanced and turn on Stealth. Make sure all of the Services are not clicked. Do this and you are secure. In Safari, it is a good idea to turn of pop-up-windows.

Welcome aboard.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    The easiest way to get a handle on Macs and how to use them (as opposed to Windows) is to go to an Apple Store or a retailer with an actual Apple Rep - like CompUSA. These guys are there to take care of you and are not on commission at the CompUSA stores. No pressure selling. Call ahead to see what is the slowest time so you can get the maximum time with the rep.

Get the basics of how the OS works, like dragging an app to the Dock, setting a bookmark in Safari, etc. Spend a few minutes on iPhoto & iTunes. There is software available to move data from a PC to a Mac and you can learn about that. Most of the stuff is very simple and easy to learn - you'll be surprised.

Also spend some time looking at the hardware options. I never dreamed I'd need a 23" display at the office, but after using one for a little while it became mandatory, especially with a lot of windows open at one time. You may well decide you want something different when you compare the hardware in person.

Get AppleCare. In addition to the hardware warrant you can call Apple for help using the system for the full 3 years - very nice to have. The Missing Manual is also very helpful, but you'll generally use that as a reference.

Also plan on playing around a bit after you get used to your Mac. Made4Mac on Apple's web site has a lot of apps as does http://osx.hyperjeff.net/Apps/ and you'll find that you play with more things than you ever did on a PC.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    When you get your iMac, open the box take it out!

(don't sleep with it! I know, I know it's beautiful but resist)

Plug in stuff, modem etc.

Follow the set up tuturial. NOTE: If you cannot follow this, you probably have trouble tying your shoe-laces!

Now click on some different apps in the dock, maybe 6 icons, one at a time, let each one open before clicking the next! (if you want your application windows to fill the screen, hide the dock. Hold 'alt' the 'apple' key & press 'd').

When your done, tap 'F9', but here's the thing, try not to say WOW!

Enjoy!

By the way that feature is called 'Expose', pronounced the french way. Pronounce the 'e' as an 'A'.

That is one the many things that will make you say: "why not before now, what took me so long"