Apple's MacBook Pro wait times improve significantly

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Computer is addressing backlog of its new Intel-based MacBook Pro professional notebooks as quickly as possible and now looks poised to reach an overall supply and demand balance early next month.

The company's online store now lists estimated wait times for both the 1.83GHz and 2.0GHz models at 7-10 business days, down from 2-3 weeks earlier this month and 4 weeks in late February.

Apple's online store isn't the only outlet to reflect these improvements. According to tipsters, MacBook Pro orders placed earlier in the year through Amazon.com were originally given estimated ship times of late April. Therefore, tipsters were incredibly surprised when they began receiving shipment confirmations on their orders earlier this month.

In fact, Amazon.com now lists the 2.0GHz MacBook Pro as being in stock and shipping within 24 hours, and is also offering a $150 rebate on this model, bringing the total cost down to $2,349.99. Meanwhile, the 1.83GHz MacBook Pro is shipping in 1 - 2 weeks from the online retailer, also with a $150 rebate, for a reduced cost of $1,849.99.

Amazon.com also retains stock of both the 1.5GHz Core Solo Mac mini and the 1.66 GHz Core Duo Mac mini, offering rebates of $25 on both models.

According to reliable sources, a shortage of common components shared between Apple's Intel iMac and the MacBook Pro are at the root of the ongoing MacBook Pro backlog.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    I ordered 3/14 and had an estimated ship date of 4/4 until this morning when I got notification that it shipped!

Shipped 3/18 with estimated delivery of 3/22. I even ordered a CTO from the edu store. It's a 2 Ghz with the 120 GB upgrade.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My friend just got his, it's the best laptop/notebook around!
  • Reply 3 of 50
    I got an Acer catalogue in the mail today. They had a laptop virtually identical to the MacBook Pro: 2.0GHz Core Duo, bluetooth and a/b/g wireless, built in webcam above the display, 15.4" wide screen, etc. Literally down to the last detail, it was identical. The only difference was that it came with 2GB of RAM, but without a remote control or anything like FrontRow or iLife. So overall, you could say it was -- more or less -- identical in specs. Oh, and it had a thick, ugly plastic case. But I digress.

Why am I posting this? It was $100 more expensive than the MacBook Pro! So much for the "Apple premium". I am not saying that Mac's are cheaper than PC's here, but saying you pay a significant premium is just plain incorrect. And that's without taking any possible extra costs into account, such as total cost of ownership or anti-virus protection. Yes, home users don't have to bill their time fixing their PC, and you can use free products for some things, but it's still extra work, and for a business, that translates into extra expenditure.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Robin Hood

I got an Acer catalogue in the mail today. They had a laptop virtually identical to the MacBook Pro: 2.0GHz Core Duo, bluetooth and a/b/g wireless, built in webcam above the display, 15.4" wide screen, etc. Literally down to the last detail, it was identical. The only difference was that it came with 2GB of RAM, but without a remote control or anything like FrontRow or iLife. So overall, you could say it was -- more or less -- identical in specs. Oh, and it had a thick, ugly plastic case. But I digress.

Why am I posting this? It was $100 more expensive than the MacBook Pro! So much for the "Apple premium". I am not saying that Mac's are cheaper than PC's here, but saying you pay a significant premium is just plain incorrect. And that's without taking any possible extra costs into account, such as total cost of ownership or anti-virus protection. Yes, home users don't have to bill their time fixing their PC, and you can use free products for some things, but it's still extra work, and for a business, that translates into extra expenditure.

Here here!
  • Reply 5 of 50
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sworthy

I ordered 3/14 and had an estimated ship date of 4/4 until this morning when I got notification that it shipped!

Shipped 3/18 with estimated delivery of 3/22. I even ordered a CTO from the edu store. It's a 2 Ghz with the 120 GB upgrade.

you're kidding?!?! I ordered March 2, with estimated ship date of Mar. 30. And mine still hasn't shipped out!!!

It must be because I upgraded the drive to 120GB, but STILL, On monday when business starts again, I hope that status changes.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    This is good news for Apple as the quarter is coming to an end. Wall Street will be looking at Apple's unit sales and the more units that Apple can ship the better.

Overall, this quarter will be important for Apple as it will provide the first metrics into the market's demand for the new Intel based Macs.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Sorry I forgot to add, both had identical X1600 graphics. Now again, I am not saying Mac's are cheaper than PC's, but it's ludicrous to assume you're paying a significant premium, if any. I guess the other reason I'm posting this is that, the other day, I saw a post from somebody saying he was having a problem with his new MacBook Pro (I don't remember what the problem was, something with RAM), and he was complaining about "I should not be having this problem because I paid a $1000 premium to get a Mac". While I think we can all sympathise with somebody having hardware issues, he didn't really pay more for his MacBook Pro than he would have paid for an equivalent PC laptop.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Apple has never released a product that didn't have a significant backlog at the beginning, for at least several months -- they just can NEVER nail down demand properly!
  • Reply 9 of 50
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scotty321

Apple has never released a product that didn't have a significant backlog at the beginning, for at least several months -- they just can NEVER nail down demand properly!

They've released quite a few products that were available right away - and in some cases never had a backlog despite high demand.

It's just that Apple decided to not only launch its first Intel Macs early, but to share components in a way which (if not entirely predictable) caused shortages.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    This is great news for me. Guess I can order next week then.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    The iPod Hi-Fi and Mac mini were both "shipping within 24 hours" when they came out. I actually ordered a Mac mini, the core duo version, and it shipped within hours.

The iMac also pretty much was available at launch, however the MacBook Pro was not, and in many cases people had to wait for 4 weeks or even longer.

The bottom line: your statement isn't correct. That isn't to say that, on occasion, new products do take a while to get into the hands of customers. Often, this is pent up demand: people read rumours, wait for new products, wait, wait and wait, and when something does finally come along, they all order at the same time!
  • Reply 12 of 50
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Does anyone other than me (or perhaps DHagan) think that this is a harbinger of a 17" MBP? Or is that just the alcohol talking?
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Quote:

Originally posted by DeaPeaJay

you're kidding?!?! I ordered March 2, with estimated ship date of Mar. 30. And mine still hasn't shipped out!!!

It must be because I upgraded the drive to 120GB, but STILL, On monday when business starts again, I hope that status changes.

Well I tried the cancel item trick and I can no longer cancel, so I guess (or hope so, anyway) mine will be shipping soon - a few days early too! Will have to see what happens on Monday...

Ordered: 3/8

Est Ship: 29/3

Est Del: 4/4
  • Reply 14 of 50
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    I wonder if there will be any blip on the supply & demand screen related to the Windows XP booting on Intel Mac caper?

For any potential switchers who have been sitting on the fence, the knowledge that they can keep their safety blanket of Windows software compatibility might be enough to tip the over the edge and click the "order" button.

So, get your orders in before the ultra easy v0.2 of the patch appears!
  • Reply 15 of 50
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

Does anyone other than me (or perhaps DHagan) think that this is a harbinger of a 17" MBP? Or is that just the alcohol talking?

Cheers!

I was at an Apple Store this afternoon and they alluded to an event around April 1st, but did not have a clue about what was coming.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    Hopefully they're stocking up on components for the MacBook iBook replacement...
  • Reply 17 of 50
    ctachmectachme Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by abzfigo99

Well I tried the cancel item trick and I can no longer cancel, so I guess (or hope so, anyway) mine will be shipping soon - a few days early too! Will have to see what happens on Monday...

Ordered: 3/8

Est Ship: 29/3

Est Del: 4/4

Woah... you seem to be muxing up your notation. I have no problem with people doing mm/dd or dd/mm, but both in the same message

But anyway? Am I the only one that thinks this is bad? More wait time = More demand. Thus, less wait time = less demand = bad.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ctachme

But anyway? Am I the only one that thinks this is bad? More wait time = More demand. Thus, less wait time = less demand = bad.

maybe not bad for you or Apple, but its bad for me!

P.S. Also, it wouldn't be good news for Apple if it was only because of a lack of parts that caused the shortage. Although, I don't think that's the reason in this situation.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    kemckkemck Posts: 6member
    After waiting for over 6 weeks for my ?Ultimate? configuration to arrive I finally got it in my hands yesterday and the wait was well worth it!

The screen is even better then my Powerbook G4 17? ( yes, I am one of those people who upgrades every new generation). It has none of the noise or other issues I have been reading about. One detail I haven?t seen spoken about is the keyboard, it may be the best one yet from Apple.

It is so fast I can even begin to say how impressive it is?time to boot is unreal and even running non-Universal applications seem no slower than on my ?old? Powerbook.

( I am still not crazy about the MacBook Pro name but with all that this machine delivers on they could have called it Bob for all I care)

A few little annoying points?.

I think the start up application that allows you to transfer all of your information over from your previous Mac is great. One improvement would have been to allow you to select what applications and files you wanted to move over selectively rather than doing it in mass.

My Harman Kardon Sound Sticks I appear to have issues. On my Powerbook they worked without issues even when connected via an 8 port USB hub. On the MacBook Pro even when directly connected they seem to work on and off?I will play around and see if there is a work around for this problem.

The only other issue I have noticed so far is that Microsoft Entourage seems to hang on quit and will only shut down using Force Quit.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    For the record, I had to wait 3-4 weeks for mine.