Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bergz

What an informative commercial!

--B

I'm no stranger to sarcasm.

I'm just not sold on the idea that having Apple evangelicize their own products in a large public setting like an infomercial type show and gaining a significant mind-share of consumers from it.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

I'm no stranger to sarcasm.

I'm just not sold on the idea that having Apple evangelicize their own products in a large public setting like an infomercial type show and gaining a significant mind-share of consumers from it.

I think an infomercial would be rather tasteless... does anyone even watch those things? (Or more importantly, anyone that might actually consider buying an Apple?)

And another thing: why would Apple need to evangelize their own products? We do plenty of that for them.
  • Reply 23 of 89
    Being relatively new to the whole Mac World ... what is all this birthday business?

I know it's Apple's 30th anniversary, but i've no idea what all these invitations and celebrations are about
  • Reply 24 of 89
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smclintock

Being relatively new to the whole Mac World ... what is all this birthday business?

I know it's Apple's 30th anniversary, but i've no idea what all these invitations and celebrations are about

Invitations for the press inviting them to the [as of now] phantom special event in which Apple will announce the greatest goddamned thing you have ever seen in your life and will probably drop between 300 and 3000 dollars on it.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Dirk

I think an infomercial would be rather tasteless... does anyone even watch those things? (Or more importantly, anyone that might actually consider buying an Apple?)

And another thing: why would Apple need to evangelize their own products? We do plenty of that for them.

You would be surprised who actually watches infomercials...

And an infomercial, done right, can deliver WAY more info than a 30 to 60 second commercial...

Obviously, none of the folks here naysaying the infomercial angle have seen the old Performa infomercial... That was done right...
  • Reply 26 of 89
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

And an infomercial, done right, can deliver WAY more info than a 30 to 60 second commercial...

ANY commercial can give more info than Apple's ('xcept the Performa, ok?). Look! Gyrating silhouettes! A tank next to a computer! Spinning candy-colored iMacs! A groovy flat screen that can dance!

Conclusion: That OS must be hella safe and easy to use.

Apple: The fun computer computer company.

--B
  • Reply 27 of 89
    Quote:

ANY commercial can give more info than Apple's ('xcept the Performa, ok?). Look! Gyrating silhouettes! A tank next to a computer! Spinning candy-colored iMacs! A groovy flat screen that can dance!

Conclusion: That OS must be hella safe and easy to use.

Apple: The fun computer computer company.

--B

That's what I am saying, a short 'normal' commercial isn't gonna cut it in delivering the message of how great OS X & company is...

So we fall back on the longer format of the infomercial...

Some say it is 'whoring'...

Over on Madison Avenue they just call it advertising...

;^p
  • Reply 28 of 89
    mr. dirkmr. dirk Posts: 187member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacRonin

Well, of course... a commercial only leaves you with an impression of a product/company/whatever, and perhaps a curiosity to learn more (if done right). But I'm just not sure the "cool factor" would be there with an infomercial.

What about the advertising that was done for Tiger? I guess I'm specifically talking about ads on websites like finance.yahoo.com that highlighted Dashboard and its stock quote thing... I thought those were pretty effective in terms of communicating a specific, unique feature.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I was in an Apple Store yesterday, talking to an Apple employee about the MacBook Pro. I said that I was unsure of the 15-inch MacBook considering I got one DOA, and all of the noises, networking + wireless issues, blown right speaker, etc. and would like to see what comes of the 17-inch version, since I already have a 17-inch PowerBook. He alluded to "stuff" coming out April 1st. When I think back upon the coversation, the Apple guy said "April 1st" and not "around April 1st." Curious. I don't think they know more than the average guy, although now that this transition to Intel is underway, maybe they have a heads-up so they can avoid pissed off customers.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Saturday would be different...
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I was in an Apple Store yesterday, talking to an Apple employee about the MacBook Pro. I said that I was unsure of the 15-inch MacBook considering I got one DOA, and all of the noises, networking + wireless issues, blown right speaker, etc. and would like to see what comes of the 17-inch version, since I already have a 17-inch PowerBook. He alluded to "stuff" coming out April 1st. When I think back upon the coversation, the Apple guy said "April 1st" and not "around April 1st." Curious. I don't think they know more than the average guy, although now that this transition to Intel is underway, maybe they have a heads-up so they can avoid pissed off customers.

He has access to the same information we all do. Apple is surprisingly tight-lipped, even to their store employees.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    Ive been seeing lots (I MEAN LOTS) of advertisements for the new imac and macbook pro on gamespot.com. Small things, that drop a hint of ilife, and everything you can do...just don't mention how safe the OS is!
  • Reply 33 of 89
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Animal Farm

He has access to the same information we all do. Apple is surprisingly tight-lipped, even to their store employees.

Not if they are making everybody come in that day. The employees may not know why they will be there, but schedules do have to be made and posted in advance.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I have a friend in a sandwich shop that said that his friend was in a bar and he met an apple employee who had another friend who was in the press department and this friend said that the event will be on a monday.

• Reply 35 of 89
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Steve Jobs and I celebrate our birthdays on the same date (fuh real!). But last Feb. he told me that we should postpone our joint celebration until April 1st. I thought he was joking b/c of April Fools, but then I remembered the whole anniversary thing. So this year Apple, Steve and I will share our birthday celebration.

I wonder what Apple will get me...

--B
  • Reply 36 of 89
    Quote:

Steve Jobs and I celebrate our birthdays on the same date (fuh real!). But last Feb. he told me that we should postpone our joint celebration until April 1st. I thought he was joking b/c of April Fools, but then I remembered the whole anniversary thing. So this year Apple, Steve and I will share our birthday celebration.

I wonder what Apple will get me...

--B

A De-Luxe Apple StraightJacket w/Bondi Blue anodized metal accents...?!?

Because that's some CrazyTalk up there...
  • Reply 37 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

I have a friend in a sandwich shop that said that his friend was in a bar and he met an apple employee who had another friend who was in the press department and this friend said that the event will be on a monday.

• Reply 38 of 89
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Seems pretty clear at this point that there will NOT be a Birthday event.

My prediction is 2 fold:

1. Apple Stores around the country are decorated for a 'Birthday' Party on Saturday, and have special promotions/giveaways.

2. Apple releases a 'Special Edition' iMac in Black on that day. Quietly, with a simple update to the website.

Why?

They got burned with the response to the last event not including 'big' enough news to warrant calling in the press. They don't want to 'cry wolf' again and risk deflating future press event hype. They should do something, and the iMac is the product that most represents the company right now (other than the iPod).

the only other option is the release of the 13" MacBook Core Solo.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

Seems pretty clear at this point that there will NOT be a Birthday event.

I think it's still too early to call. I think if we don't hear anything by Tuesday, March 28, then we'll be out of luck.
  • Reply 40 of 89
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I think it's still too early to call. I think if we don't hear anything by Tuesday, March 28, then we'll be out of luck.

I would say by tomorrow April 21.

But hey Apple doesn't need to send an invitation. They could just announce anything they want without having a "special event" for that. People are just caught up by these special events.