Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matthew Yohe

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ads/

Wow. Apple surely took another direction with this ad. They have left the true and tried formula of "product on white background" and replaced it with a revolutionary "Product on black background".

What have they done to the Apple soul?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Don't forget you can get this ad in 720p and 1080p highdef. The links are further down the page.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I don't know what you mean that commerical still screams apple. They haven't used white backgrounds in a while, they've been switching colours, quite a bit.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Heh. I'm not sure how seriously we should be taking Anders' comments. He has his tongue in his cheek most of the time.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

Don't forget you can get this ad in 720p and 1080p highdef. The links are further down the page.

Neither the 720p nor the 1080 ad benefit from the added resolution, might as well download the smallest size and let the computer scale it up. From the edge twittering and aliasing that I see, they both look like 480i upscaled. If it were a true HD ad, it would look a lot better. Generally HD ads are 16:9 too. The movie info on the 1080p may claim it is 1440x1064 but it's just a hack job. If Apple, a company suppoedly knowledgable in video, with a vested interest in pro video work, pulls a dumb stunt like this, I think we can bet that many other companies will try selling upscaled interlaced SD video as HD too.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

From the edge twittering and aliasing that I see, they both look like 480i upscaled.

Try http://www.specsavers.co.uk See if that helps.

Quote:

Generally HD ads are 16:9 too.

Depends on where they are going to be viewed really.

Quote:

If Apple, a company suppoedly knowledgable in video, with a vested interest in pro video work, pulls a dumb stunt like this...

Yep. They create a new commercial and put up three versions on their web site for people to download for free. REALLY DUMB.

I'm switching to Vista.

Piot
  • Reply 7 of 10
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

Yep. They create a new commercial and put up three versions on their web site for people to download for free. REALLY DUMB.

I'm switching to Vista.

Piot

That's not what he's saying at all. Try reading things in context.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

Try http://www.specsavers.co.uk See if that helps.

Piot, I can tell what was properly made as HD and what was not. If you think that the 720p and 1080p iPod nano ad is truly mastered in HD and is HD quality, then you need the specs.

There is plenty of interlace twitter and no fine detail in the 720p or 1080p versions of the nano ad. This is quite unlike the examples in their HD gallery: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/

Apple shouldn't be wasting their bandwidth and promoting upscaled crap as HD, it also wastes CPU power for video that doesn't get any benefit from the higher res file.

Apple should know better than promote badly upscaled video as HD, I don't understand why it is wrong of me to say something isn't up to the claimed standard.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I noticed the sub standard quality of the "HD" ads and arrived that they are simply upsampled as well. This is a pity because Apple should use itself as an example with regards to HD content.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I'm with the "it's not true 720p HD" camp. Well, as much as we want it to be so, Apple just ain't perfect all the time. I AM confused though why they would offer 720p and 1080p if it WAS just a hack job dodgy upscale.

True mastering at 720p and 1080p would show up really really good on the ad because of all the particle stuff happening. One would really get to appreciate the level of detail (and how bloody intricate it is!!) with the particle music covers forming the city and then collapsing again.......... A pity, really. Still, nice ad, and good of Apple to post it up, upscaled, downscaled, sidescaled, or whatever.