Help Configuring iTunes

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Posted this on another forum and have gotten no help.

Bone-headed question here, but I can't figure it out. Here's what I'd like to do:

1) Have iTunes automatically update my music library on my iPod BUT keep the music library on an external disc.

2) Automatically update all podcasts and move them over to my iPod.

3) Automatically update all movies BUT keep the movies on an external drive that does not house my music library.

It seems like every time I get it to do one of these things, the other two don't work. Can someone walk me through?step-by-step?how to configure iTune to do these three things?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    1 & 3 will cancel eachother out, because you can only select one location for your iTunes music folder. This can be an external drive, but all your files (music and movies) will have to be on that drive.

2 is easy, just go to iPod settings and click the Podcasts tab. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes & iPod Updater if you don't already.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Scratch that, you can drag-and-drop your movie files into your library from another drive (i.e. not the one listed as your iTunes music folder in Preferences -> Advanced). Just make sure you uncheck the box "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library."