Briefly: Mac mini, Mac OS X 10.4.6, flash, MagSafe ablaze

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Mac mini lead times increased

Around the same time that Apple decreased lead times for its MacBook Pro professional notebooks it also increased estimated wait times for its petite Mac mini desktops by several days.

Over the weekend, AppleInsider reported that lead times for the MacBook Pro were shortened from 2-3 weeks to 7-10 business days. At the time, estimated wait times for either version of the Mac mini stood at 24 hours. However, as of Monday morning, Apple's online store now lists the Mac mini as shipping in 4-6 business days.

It's currently unclear what has prompted the sudden Mac mini delay, but sources have previously reported that several components are shared between all of Apple's new Intel Macs. With Apple now pushing the more profitable MacBook Pro notebooks into the market, Mac mini production may be taking the hit.

Mac OS X 10.4.6

According to both tipsters and reports already present on several Web sites, Apple over the weekend seeded new builds of Mac OS X 10.4.6 to its Apple Developer Connection members.

The pre-release distributions of the Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" maintenance and security update were reportedly listed as Mac OS X 10.4.6 build 8I1113 (Intel) and Mac OS X 10.4.6 build 8I120 (PowerPC).

These latest builds are reported to contain very few if any know issues, depending on the developer notes accompanying various distributions of the OS update. As previously reported, Mac OS X 10.4.6 will offer bug fixes and enhancements to dozens of Mac OS X system components, including Address Book, AppleScript, Automator, Dashboard, Dictionary, Disk Utility, DVD Player, Font Book, iCal, iChat, iPhoto, Keychain, Mail, Migration Assistant, Preview, QuickTime, Safari, Software Update and Stickies.

Flash memory prices dip lower

Citing channel sources, DigiTimes on Monday said Samsung Electronics has been dumping NAND flash with its customers since late February amid competition from SanDisk, and the situation is likely to become more severe this month.

With weaker-than-expected iPod nano sales this year, Samsung has been trying to maintain control over its inventory levels by dumping excess stock with memory module makers, according to sources at downstream players," the overseas publication reported. "Samsung is pushing its products hardest with companies that it has close ties with, but other firms are receiving attractive quotes from the memory maker as well."

MagSafe no more?

No, it's not the return of the "Flaming PowerBook 5300," but Rogier Mulder -- an early MacBook Pro adopter -- recently returned home to find that the MagSafe power connector on his new MacBook Pro had apparently caught ablaze and melted.

"When I came home today, I found that the magsafe connector was melted," Mulder wrote, also posting photos of the damage on his Flickr account. "Thank god the cats disconnected the Macbook pro during the day (they were probably chasing each other and tripped over the wire)."

Apple was reportedly quick to replace Mulder's MacBook Pro, but in doing so also asked him to remove the photos of the damaged MacBook Pro and MagSafe connector he had published online.

"I am sorry if you do not see the image(s) you might have expected to see," Mulder later wrote on his Flickr account. "The reason for this is that Apple, after dealing with this issue, kindly requested me to remove the pictures at least until their engineers had a change to investigate this issue. Since Apple support has been very helpful and already is getting me a new Macbook asap, I'm happy to answer their request."

For those interest in viewing the damage, Wired's Leander Kahney has reposted the images.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Poof!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jbracyjbracy Posts: 13member
    Why is it that ONE incident of a faulty power connector is generating so much press? The facts of the matter are:

1) This seems to be a VERY isolated incident

2) No one was home to verify what the cause of the problem was - for all we know one of his cats caused the issue in the first place

3) Apple was very quick to replace his computer at no charge

4) Apple didn't demand that he remove the pictures, they asked him to and he complied.

Why is the Apple Rumor Press so quick to make mountains out of mole hills?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    I don't see any molten or burned plastic in those images.

It looks more as if someone has spilled liquid over the connector causing some kind of electrolitic reaction.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    I thought it was already determined that he made it up! Even if he didn't make it up then cats peeing on computers void warranties. This whole thing is a joke and a PR nightmare for Apple that they honestly don't deserve in a situation like this. People seem of late to be taking advantage of Apple's position in the media. Probably somewhat deserved because Apple exploits the media regularly but after awhile lame stuff like this is just not cool.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    dr_lhadr_lha Posts: 236member
    An alternative theory on the Mini's could be that Apple are investigating the mounting reports of bad Airport reception with Minis and this is hold back new shipments.

That said, my Mini turns up tomorrow, hopefully with a working Airport.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If any part of your computer went on fire, there must have being a power surge.

That why modern houses have surge protectors/trip switches!

If your house does not, you should get a surge protection extension lead.

Most electronic devices, and computers etc. warn of power surges in product info.

My advice, sort out your wiring, and then this can't happen!
  • Reply 7 of 15
    As for the Mac Mini ship time increasing AFTER the MacBook Pro ship time decreasing, that is false. The ship times for the mini were changed before Friday 3/17/06 at 4:12 PM. I posted about it in this thread: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=62028

Also, I don't buy this story at all about the delays having to do with shared components between all the Intel Macs. If that were the case, why has the Intel iMac delay never exceeded 24 hours since launch while the MacBook Pro was taking up to 4 weeks? I believe that the models with the longer ship times are experiencing greater than anticipated demand especially the MacBook Pro. If the components were shared, why wouldn't they increase the iMacs' delay to ship more MacBook Pros?

Here is a copy of my posting:

Quote:

posted 03-17-2006 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacCentric Click here to Send MacCentric a Private Message Find more posts by MacCentric Add MacCentric to your buddy list \t Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

In other news it appears that MacBook Pro demand is still holding strong with ship times at 2-3 weeks on the apple store.

The Intel Mac Mini also appears to be outpacing Apple's internal projections as the Apple Store shipping delay is up to 4-6 days, up from 24 hours when it was released a little over 2 weeks ago.

I project that there is a 93.14159265358979323846264338327950% chance of Apple exceeding the consensus estimate for revenue in the current quarter.

Piper MacCentricray Analysts

• Reply 8 of 15
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    I thought the consensus opinion on that melted MagSafe was that the cats peed on it.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Those cats must be some sort of animal heat pumps.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    The burnt MagSafe connector certainly is a curious thing. Sure, this may be an isolated and overblown incident, but I'm very curious as to the cause. If more accounts like these pop up it could be a serious problem, but for now I think it is safe to assume that its a non-issue.

Meanwhile, the Mac mini and MacBook Pro delays are interesting. Could be related to 10.4.6 but we won't know for sure until the update is out.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I haven't isolated exactly when, but if you're charging the MacBook Pro and using it heavily (video editing), it gets VERY hot, mainly on the left side. I find it really uncomfortable and simply avoid doing it.

Charging it while the computer is off, running it from power (when the battery is full - so the power connector shows the green light instead of red), and running on battery is fine. I haven't tried browsing the web (ie light use) while charging

Oh, the magsafe connector seems to work great too I will check it's temperature next time it's running hot though.

Greg
  • Reply 13 of 15
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    If there is some contamination between the surfaces then it is possible for the connector to get very hot. Possibly hot enough to melt. Usually this is more of a problem for constant current sources.

When you use a normal plug the contact surfaces wipe across each other so there is a better chance of a metal to metal contact.

This has the potential to be a problem in the long term as the metal interfaces become corroded or contaminated.

Cleaning may or may not be a solution. We'll have to find out the structure of the connector. Some connectors are made with corrosion resistant thin films. Vigorous cleaning can remove these films. A light rinse with any of a variety of contact cleaners (available at electronics shops) should be fine in case a connector does seem to be dirty. Even distilled water would probably be fine as long as everything air dries before use. Does Apple suggest any kind of care or cleaning in the owner's manual?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I made a post a couple of weeks ago, citing that I had just had an experience with a MacBook Pro and MagSafe connector both heating up to an extreme degree. Everyone in these forums was very quick to defend the product and say that it was normal for the notebook and the power connector to heat up like this. I don't know if no one believed my statements of how hot the items got, or if they were just trying to defend Apple, but now it seems that I have proof that this is a serious issue that Apple needs to resolve.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    I dont know why this guy keeps claiming that the cats unplugged it.

When the magsafe looses power (as would happen if it was burning up, then internal breakers would trip), it looses its magnetism and falls out. If there was any tension on the wire it would come right out w/o power.