I'm switching to Linux/Windows

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 157
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Sort of a general question...

I can see the point of using Linux on a PC that would otherwise use Windows, but why use Linux on a modern Mac, given that MacOSX is based on UNIX?

Developing in both environments. Working in enterprise markets that have Linux inroads and not OS X.

Put both on the same box and you are more efficient.
  • Reply 142 of 157
    Quote:

Originally posted by sunilraman

I guess you guys are probably sick of hearing me say it, the reason why I went with my own built rig instead of a Mac mini is because we (the family) already have an iBook and I was really curious about NeedForSpeed: Most Wanted (can't play it now, reached a stage where it's too bloody hard) and Half Life 2 (super excellent, finished it) and F.E.A.R. (very nice but somewhat monotonous).

What part are you stuck on in NFS?
  • Reply 143 of 157
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Originally posted by theapplegenius

What part are you stuck on in NFS?

the dude with the corvette with the bones motif all over the car. i got a lamborghini modded to the max but the lamborghini's turning is just not there --- it's just not grippping the road like i want it to.
  • Reply 144 of 157
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    maybe others have said it.. but with a MacIntel you can have em all..

I actually have a 12inch PB 1.33G4 and a Shuttle that I use just for gaming. Its a great mix.. and I'm happily playing BF2 a few hours a day
  • Reply 145 of 157
    Well, I'm happy some people are prepared to switch to PC's (for whatever reason - I couldn't). It's better that you do - coze there has to be a competitive market between your PC and your Mac - leading to better deals on both platforms (or at least on the Mac platform). I know there are a lot of you people just ready with all the arguments about how good a deal a Mac is - so what?, put under pressure of Mac-to-PC switchers I think there maybe some more movements to a an even better deal.. It's all to the good.

cheers.

p.s. I may be in a minority here as I don't give a monkies a** about Apple PLC (inflated) share price.
  • Reply 146 of 157
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Yeesh, and here I've been thinking about setting up my old Quadra 650 to plink around on.
  • Reply 147 of 157
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Yeesh, and here I've been thinking about setting up my old Quadra 650 to plink around on.

650, please, my 840AV smokes it so beyond belief I almost feel sorry to call you a Quadra user. I?m a spec whore, I?m a spec whore, and once again I?m a spec whore.
  • Reply 148 of 157
    Quote:

[i]p.s. I may be in a minority here as I don't give a monkies a** about Apple PLC (inflated) share price. [/B]

Me too, but again I?d buy a Bang & Olufsen system over a Denon any day, not because it?s superior but I like inflated luxury goods that normal poor people can?t afford. Now if we can only get rid of those pesky poor bastards known as iBook/iMac users. Yes I?m a prude but I?m a proud member, down with poor people.

Did I come off as a bad person here?
  • Reply 149 of 157
    Quote:

Also, I got a chance to try out this whole Linux thing but really, personally I found it to be rubbish** and totally not for me.

**Feel free to flame the f*ck out of me

Rubbish, rubbish, what's wrong you don't like working at your computer experience? You expect everything to be magically given to you, pre-packaged computing ecstasy? Fine, be happy with your OSX, me I?ll continue hitting myself in the nuts like some Opus Dei priest who believes hardship is the only way into computer bliss. Hitting self with a thorny whip, Suse, SMACK, Oh God yea, Ubuntu, SMACK, Oh God yeah!
  • Reply 150 of 157
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Because most people don't use an operating system because of what it's based on, but what it does.

Psssst, don?t tell those Sun(Solaris) marketing guys.
  • Reply 151 of 157
    Heh. Relic is fucking on a roll here. I want the drugs he?s having...! FUCK. OCEANLAB - BEST FUCKING TRANCE EVER. at night my bipolar switches to pure ecstasy whenever I put on some trance. too bad it only lasts an hour before i have to take my medication and go sleepy sleep.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH............
  • Reply 152 of 157
    Quote:

Heh. Relic is fucking on a roll here. I want the drugs he?s having...! FUCK. OCEANLAB - BEST FUCKING TRANCE EVER. at night my bipolar switches to pure ecstasy whenever I put on some trance. too bad it only lasts an hour before i have to take my medication and go sleepy sleep.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH DUSH............

Have you heard;

warp brothers - final fantasy - i close my eyes techno trance remix

Great shizism....
  • Reply 153 of 157
    limewire - waiting on busy hosts (yes yes stealing music is bad and wrong)
  • Reply 154 of 157
    Quote:

limewire - waiting on busy hosts (yes yes stealing music is bad and wrong)

Yeah, yeah and orgasms kill puppies.
  • Reply 155 of 157
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

650, please, my 840AV smokes it so beyond belief I almost feel sorry to call you a Quadra user. I?m a spec whore, I?m a spec whore, and once again I?m a spec whore.

/me hangs head in shame

yeah yea yeah, I know it's pokey. But it gets the job done! And I'm saving up for a PowerMac 8100/80! Only $4250!!
  • Reply 156 of 157
    Sunilram and Relic,

please stop it - I'm in a serious job, in an open plan office, and laughing out loud is frowned upon. Yes, yes, I know I shouldn't be looking at stuff like this during working hours, but it's a drug.

Just lay-off the comedy, will ya both

David
  • Reply 157 of 157
    ah. glad to be of some use around here despite possibly quite a low IQ.