Download Windows XP Bootloader for Intel Macs

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
personally i dont like the idea of booting my mac on Windows...but come to think of it...its great to have both side of the technology...

anyway if you want to try it you can download here

is it safe??? is it stable??? please give feedback...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    yes, it works. no video drivers, bluetooth, sound isight do not work (yet). But I expect those will be patched soon. everything else works. Its actually an easy install and windows is very fast for such a legacy system.

This is now the first windows machine that I have ever had that was dead silent (didn't sound like a hair dryer) - it is this intel iMac. needless to say the windows portion will only be for games when the video and sound is fixed.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    cygsidcygsid Posts: 210member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sandau

yes, it works. no video drivers, bluetooth, sound isight do not work (yet). But I expect those will be patched soon. everything else works. Its actually an easy install and windows is very fast for such a legacy system.

This is now the first windows machine that I have ever had that was dead silent (didn't sound like a hair dryer) - it is this intel iMac. needless to say the windows portion will only be for games when the video and sound is fixed.

how much of a negative effect does the absence of hardware graphics acceleration have for day to day use?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Its actually an easy install and windows is very fast for such a legacy system.

Curious what you mean by 'legacy' system... it can't be the hardware...
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Quote:

yes your correct a patch was just made and you can download it here

still havent tried it...im really scared... (do i need to be scared??)
  • Reply 5 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Actually I'm not that fond of viruses! So I think i'll pass.

My sisters PC is down again! Thank God I switched

p.s. looking forward to leopard.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    So what's the story on this? Do you reboot from one OS to the other?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

So what's the story on this? Do you reboot from one OS to the other?

Yep... you'd have to reboot each time you want to switch between OS X and Windows.

The 'holy grail' that most people are ..really.. looking for is a form of virtual-machine technology. We're not talking about *emulation* here (ala VirtualPC on the PowerMac) but instead, true 'full speed' virtual-machine support.

Kinda-sorta like what WINE provides **or** Exactly like what VMWare provides.

Consult "WINE, Emulation, and Other Virtual Machines" for some really good discussions and progress updates. That site also has a really good forum on "Dual Booting" too.

Dave
  • Reply 8 of 24
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Yep... you'd have to reboot each time you want to switch between OS X and Windows.

The 'holy grail' that most people are ..really.. looking for is a form of virtual-machine technology. We're not talking about *emulation* here (ala VirtualPC on the PowerMac) but instead, true 'full speed' virtual-machine support.

Kinda-sorta like what WINE provides **or** Exactly like what VMWare provides.Dave

Until VMWare for OSX is released (2006 maybe), this will have to do. I think it will be some time yet before Wine could be usable for OSX under the Darwine project. The Windows on Mac project however is progressing very quickly.

There also is some rumours of Transitive (makers of Rosetta) providing some vm solution?. That said, people may prefer the full performance of Windows native than even under virtual machine - options are always better than none.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    We have no Virtual PC for Intel Macs yet and I'm not holding my breath on that one nor do I really want that solution unless there are no others. What about this OpenOSX? WinTel 2.1.2? How is that compared to VirtualPC? Is it as fast, slower?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

We have no Virtual PC for Intel Macs yet and I'm not holding my breath on that one nor do I really want that solution unless there are no others. What about this OpenOSX? WinTel 2.1.2? How is that compared to VirtualPC? Is it as fast, slower?

Both versiontracker.com and mac windows.com have user experiences for this product - needless to say its not positive and at $25 dont expect too much for now. They are using the qemu - which my understanding are building virtualization into qemu - but by the time they improve that open source dev to the point of being useful id expect vmware or even vpc would be better options.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Thanks for the sources.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    rosserrosser Posts: 10member
    Hi Guys,

I have followed Narf's instructions and my imac core duo is running well. When you turn the computer on you are greeted by a glass effect apple sign, you just hit enter to boot into Tiger or hit the down arrow to display a windows sign and hit enter for xp.

XP runs faster than on any PC I have used before and I'm chuffed that my Packard bell is now a ugly thing of the past.

All that we need now is for somebody to work out the driver problem for the x1600 and it will be complete.

I have been a mac user for about 12 months now and I know that for 95% of the time I will only use Tiger but it is really nice to have a choice.

Good luck to those who have a go !

• Reply 13 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rosser

XP runs faster than on any PC I have used before and I'm chuffed that my Packard bell is now a ugly thing of the past.

Cool post!, ill let my friends know who are very keen to ditch their PC's. Is the install a bit of a pain (for novices?).
  • Reply 14 of 24
    rosserrosser Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hasapi

Cool post!, ill let my friends know who are very keen to ditch their PC's. Is the install a bit of a pain (for novices?).

It takes a bit of patience but the biggest pain for me was to make the slipstream disk because I had to upgrade to nero 7 first. After that it wasn't bad because the instuctions were spot on.

Dont be shy, give it a try ! 8)
  • Reply 15 of 24
    turboturbo Posts: 31member
    I am very confused of why people are interested in booting xp on a mac. I am about to make this huge switch to mac, and there are some mac lovers that want to be able to use windows on their machine. I just don't get it.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Well, you know how sometimes you see something that is so horrendously wrong that you can't tear your eyes away? How that creeping sense of morbid fascination takes over?

Same thing.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    or, one stupid program that your boss makes you run.

Or, that is only written for Windows.

Other than that I wouldn't bother.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Check out http://www.macbreak.com/ they have a nice video of getting XP on a new intel mac mini.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rosser

It takes a bit of patience but the biggest pain for me was to make the slipstream disk because I had to upgrade to nero 7 first. After that it wasn't bad because the instuctions were spot on.

Dont be shy, give it a try ! 8)

I will - ive decided to get my wife a mac book (when theyre available) instead of a toshiba. I noticed there is no video acceleration does that affect performance (assumed), not going to be used for games anyway, just web, office and share trading software.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by TednDi

or, one stupid program that your boss makes you run.

Or, that is only written for Windows.

Other than that I wouldn't bother.

Precisely, so you would think after all these years Apple could have come up with some little (rosetta type) app in the background to allow the odd windows app to be executed?.

I suppose they dont want to be seen to be supporting windows - but for all intensive purposes - it is a windows world, and asking your customers to live in utopia is delusional.