Picasa is so much better than iPhoto

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 150
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Daffy_Duck

Enough to cause it to slow down. Not sure how many exactly but I take a lot of pictures. I'll take your advice and contact Apple.

Do you even use iPhoto? The number of photos in you Library is clearly displayed at the bottom of the window.
  • Reply 142 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

Do you even use iPhoto? The number of photos in you Library is clearly displayed at the bottom of the window.

I only use it for photos I download from webshots to be used as backgrounds. I tried loading a lot of photos into it and wasn't happy with the performance. So, I decided to split it up into several libraries using iPhoto buddy. Then I came to the dissapointing conclusion that not only was iPhoto not embedding the keywords I added but Spotlight wasn't even indexing them.

Here's a scenario. I am on vacation and I take some photos with my camera and copy them to my Macbook and add some keywords. When I get home, I copy them over the network to my server which is a Windows machine. I do this because my MacBook has limited space while my server has lots of space. I want the keywords I added to go along with the photos.
  • Reply 143 of 150
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Well, you see, the world doesn't revolve around a single person and, as an unfortunate side effect, features that *you* want may not necessarily be features that 90% of the world wants. ...if enough people want better metadata handling and faster handling of pictures, Apple will do whatever is necessary to add this in the next version of iPhoto.

i think everyone wants faster handling of photos - that's why it's the "new" feature in every version! For me iPhoto has become unbearably slow and this is only with 6,000 photos - most of which at 8MP.
  • Reply 144 of 150
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacCrazy

i think everyone wants faster handling of photos - that's why it's the "new" feature in every version! For me iPhoto has become unbearably slow and this is only with 6,000 photos - most of which at 8MP.

Well it runs smooth on my 13Mhz, 2MB RAM, 128MB HD computer, and all of this while I'm ripping a CD in iTunes, burning a disc using iDVD and watching some pr0n using QuickTime.

Something must be wrong with your photos or your computer

oh yeah, I got it, get a PowerMac!!11!
  • Reply 145 of 150
    Quote:

Actually, the speed issue is not a dealbreaker for me. I don't mind seperating into multiple libraries and I know that is one area Apple will continue to improve. I just want better handling of metadata.
  • Reply 146 of 150
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Daffy_Duck

Consider this. In Picasa, keywording ability is hidden altogether unless you open the keyword dialog from one of the menus yet it remains better than iPhoto.

On my windows box, it comes up with the metadata entry window whenever you aquier new pics, you can apply keywords to individual pics or the whole group.
  • Reply 147 of 150
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

What are you running it on? My mac mini can cut through iPhoto 06 like nothing, and that is with only 512 MB ram (the lowest I would recomend for anything is 1 gig, 2 gigs+ (or max supported) if you like to keep most of your apps open)
  • Reply 148 of 150
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

On my windows box, it comes up with the metadata entry window whenever you aquier new pics, you can apply keywords to individual pics or the whole group.

It only shows up on mine if I hit Ctrl-K or choose from the menu. I don't know how you aquire photos but I use the "add folder to picasa" option. When I do this it starts generating thumbnails without popping up the keyword entry box.
  • Reply 149 of 150
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

What are you running it on? My mac mini can cut through iPhoto 06 like nothing, and that is with only 512 MB ram (the lowest I would recomend for anything is 1 gig, 2 gigs+ (or max supported) if you like to keep most of your apps open)

I'm using iLife '05 on a PowerBook G4 1.67GHz with 100GB 5400 RPM, 128MB GPU and 1 GB RAM.
  • Reply 150 of 150
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

From what I can remember, Picasa (not Picasso) allows photos to be anywhere. It searches for pictures automatically. There is no notion of a library. Any watched folder is input automatically. It really is quite good in this aspect. Downloaded some files onto the Desktop? No problem, appears in Picasa two seconds later. Downloaded new photos from camera into folder xyz? No problem, appears in Picasa two seconds later, provided xyz is a subfolder of a watched folder at least. You only have to specify which folders are watched. You can move folders and rename from within Picasa, but any changes made external are auto updated from within Picasa as well. This is the program's strongest selling point.

This is what annoys me about Picasa. I've been forced to use a PC cause I just moved overseas and I don't have a macbook yet.. (OMG the store just called to say they have one for me! Yahoo!) Uh.. Yeah anyway Picasa annoys me because it raids the HD looking for photos.

I saved a web-page to my documents, lo and behold Picasa imports every little gif and jpeg in the folder. Plus it imported all my uncle's photos too, I don't want them in my library, and I don't want mine in his.

Also the interface isn't too nice, it needs a lot of streamlining, the scroll bar is slow and strange to use, and the search feature is nice but you can't keep the searched item in view when the search is cancelled, it flips back to the library and I have to manually go find where the picture is..

Anyway, in short I miss iPhoto, though I do like the editing features in Picasa a lot and I haven't tried iLife '06 yet either, I'm not sold on Picasa yet. Knowing Google it will become something great however. I'll give it time.

Jimzip