New MacBook Predications

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 99
    macmaniacmacmaniac Posts: 183member
    I don't check things here regularly so I may have missed something, but is it such a foregone conclusion that this new consumer laptop will be named "MacBook"?

Also, what is the difference between integrated and dedicated graphics?

Thanks,

Steve B.
  • Reply 82 of 99
    ryanhryanh Posts: 116member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macmaniac

I don't check things here regularly so I may have missed something, but is it such a foregone conclusion that this new consumer laptop will be named "MacBook"?

Also, what is the difference between integrated and dedicated graphics?

Thanks,

Steve B.

1. It can only be assumed that that's what it will be called.

2. Integrated graphics share system memory [RAM] with the CPU of the computer. So while integrated GPUs can communicate with the CPU faster than a dedicated GPU, they typically use less RAM and can't access RAM for video processing as fast as a dedicated GPU with it's own memory.

There are more nuances, but those are the basics.
  • Reply 83 of 99
    macmaniacmacmaniac Posts: 183member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryanh

1. It can only be assumed that that's what it will be called.

2. Integrated graphics share system memory [RAM] with the CPU of the computer. So while integrated GPUs can communicate with the CPU faster than a dedicated GPU, they typically use less RAM and can't access RAM for video processing as fast as a dedicated GPU with it's own memory.

There are more nuances, but those are the basics.

Thanks, ryan.

Steve
  • Reply 84 of 99
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cory Bauer

My Painfully Realistic Predictions:

$999 MacBook

1.5Ghz Intel Core Solo

13" Widscreen display at 1280x800

512MB memory (667MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

40GB Serial ATA hard drive

Intel GMA950 graphics processor

Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Built-in AirPort Extreme and Bluetooth 2.0

Apple Remote

$1,199 MacBook

1.66Ghz Intel Core Solo

60GB Serial ATA hard drive

Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)

Apple Remote

$1,499 MacBook Pro

1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo

80GB Serial ATA hard drive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

Apple Remote

This will round out Apple's sub-$2,000 notebooks. All will feature Built-in iSight camera, Front Row, and Magsafe. I originally had a Core Duo in the high-end MacBook for $100 more, but decided that would be too much bang for Apple's buck and would leave the $1,499 MacBook Pro lacking. I feel what I have here is right in line with Apple's typical conservative offerings. (READ THIS PART) If you look at Apple's current MacBook Pro models, you'll find that they carry an $700 premium over their spec-comparitive iMac counterpart. Using that as my basis, and factoring in how much Apple loves money, there cannot be a Core Duo notebook from Apple for less than $1,499 - $700 over the Core Duo Mac Mini.

I think it's painfully apparent that the only computer Apple is interested in really selling is the iMac, and every other Mac they offer is just there to make the iMac look good. The iMac is the only system no one has any price/performance complaints about.

I like this prediction.. Just yesterday I finally had the chance to get the real feeling of a 13.3" (wide) VAIO and it's really nice, compared to the 12" not wide is not that big and it feels like a notebook, very light and I have to give it to SONY: it's beautiful.. I also had the chance to compare the 13.3 vs 14.1 wide and it's considerable smaller, we have a 15.4" wide Compaq & Toshiba @ work and they are not only heavy, they're also huge to carry around.

I'm decided for the 13.3" wide apple notebook if it comes out, not that small yet not that big.. For me is an excellent form factor for mobile users & if it come with the pro features, my bet is that is gonna make it to the "Best Seller" before they even start shipping it!

• Reply 85 of 99
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    $300 for Graphic card??? that's really a Cash Cow!

high end model may top out 1.86Ghz Core Duo, we are expecting a price cut from Intel on 1st april as well rite?
  • Reply 86 of 99
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    There are some features a smaller-than-15.4"-MacBook Pro-formfactor must have over a MacBook/iBook:

- aluminium casing

- dedicated GPU

- backlit keyboard

- at least same clockspeed as the low end 15.4"MBP

I also expect the price to return to $1,799

- optional BTO for HD, CPU and GPU upgrades would be great.
  • Reply 87 of 99
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

$300 for Graphic card??? that's really a Cash Cow!

And based on the ramblings I've seen in the forums over integrated graphics people will pay that.

I've seen the Sony VAIO 13.3" displays at my local Staples and I think the form factor would be perfect for what I need.
  • Reply 88 of 99
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    In as much as I like the 13.3-inch widescreen concept, I would hope Apple would allow one to up the processor to a 1.83 or even 2.0GHz version, with the option of allowing one to choose a discreet graphics option, and a 7,200 rpm HD option as well. But alas, I don't think they will do that. Fuck.
  • Reply 89 of 99
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I predict two colors!
  • Reply 90 of 99
    The thought of a high gloss black, polycarbonate iBook/macBook is quite nice. It would be a nice birthday surprise, if nothing else.

I wish they'd just get on with the announcement already, the suspense is driving me nuts...
  • Reply 91 of 99
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I think Cory's prediction is pretty realistic, though I think a few things would be different:

For the $999 model: a 60 GB drive. If the $599 Mac mini can have one, the $999 MacBook can too.

The mid-range model will be $1299. Apple likes that number and they'll price a model to match. An 80 GB drive is a logical choice for it, too.

As for the 13" MacBook Pro: I think the price is right, but the video chipset is probably too expensive for the price. Sony's SZ doesn't even have that at the high end. A GeForce Go 7300 or 7400 with 64 MB of RAM is more likely. Hopefully there's a place for an ExpressCard slot!
  • Reply 92 of 99
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    $1299 High end model with

BTO

64/128 MB Graphic Card - $100

7.2K RPM - $100

that will satisfy both sides

(some one who does worry abt graphics can getit with out Graphic card

and some one wishes to hv it pay for it)

Hope Intel slashes the Core Duo pricing and moves to release Merom on schedule (1st Oct)

Since Vista delayed intel only hv APPLE to test 64bit version of Merom atleast for a quarter or two

One thing i really wish is MacBook should able to mirror atleast 20" (whether integrated or dedicated graphics)
  • Reply 93 of 99
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

$1299 High end model with

BTO

64/128 MB Graphic Card - $100

7.2K RPM - $100

7200 RPM? Not gonna happen.

Quote:

Since Vista delayed intel only hv APPLE to test 64bit version of Merom atleast for a quarter or two

Windows XP x64 exists, and has for a while. No need to wait for Vista.

Quote:

One thing i really wish is MacBook should able to mirror atleast 20" (whether integrated or dedicated graphics)

I assume you mean span, not mirror. In any case, the GPU should be capable of that, as the GPU in my 2002 iBook can do it, too.

The bigger questions are:

1) will there be mini-DVI, or will Apple still provide mini-VGA (boo)?

2) will there be official spanning support? The iMac now has it.

3) will there be optical audio? The Mac mini now has it.

4) will there be line in? The Mac mini now has it.
  • Reply 94 of 99
    Sorry if this has been asked (I'm sure it has, but don't know how recently) what is the accepted wisdom for the release date of the MacBook? I now that there had been some talk of April, but now new releases seem to refer to the vaguer 'June quarter'. Any guesses?
  • Reply 95 of 99
    vochvoch Posts: 28member
    Based on the previous spring/summer iBook releases:

July 26, 2005 - G4/1.33-1.42

April 19, 2004 - G4/1.0-1.2

April 22, 2003 - G3/800-900

May 20, 2002 - G3/600-700

May 1, 2001 - G3/500

(and ignoring the July release from last year) iBooks generally get bumped in late April/early-to-mid May. It's considered "school buying season."

However, we're seriously overdue for an iBook bump since the last one was way back in July and factoring in some optimism (Apple may want to move forward quickly to help sales) the release may happen as early as early April.

Arguing against such an early release is that Apple may want to keep folks shelling out the extra money for the current MacBook Pro, or at least wait until sales of that have cooled off considerably to release a Core Duo-equipped consumer portable.

I was thinking about the reported late-May future Core Duo price cuts as a factor but since Apple will likely use the lowest-end Core Duo chip in the non-Pro MacBook I doubt that'll have any impact on the release date (that chip isn't included in the price drop list). If anything that'll just factor into future MacBook Pro speed bumps.
  • Reply 96 of 99
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Given that Apple did not release a MacBook April 1st and still hasn't, I now feel Apple will wait for the Intel price cuts and restructure their entire laptop line-up. The restructuring will reposition the 15" MacBook Pro's with the processor price cuts in place, fill in the bottom of the line with the MacBook (iBook replacement) and top the line off with a 17" MacBook Pro. My new predictions are as follows:

MACBOOK

$1099 MacBook

1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo

60GB Serial ATA hard drive

Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)

Apple Remote

$1,399 MacBook

1.83Ghz Intel Core Duo

80GB Serial ATA hard drive

Apple Remote

MACBOOK PRO

$1,899 MacBook Pro

2.0GHz Intel Core Duo

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution

667MHz frontside bus

512MB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

100GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory

$2,299 MacBook Pro

2.16GHz Intel Core Duo

15.4-inch TFT display with 1440x900 resolution

667MHz frontside bus

120GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

$2,499 MacBook Pro

2.16GHz Intel Core Duo

17-inch TFT widescreen display with 1680x1050 resolution

667MHz frontside bus

120GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB GDDR3 memory

$2,899 MacBook Pro

2.33GHz Intel Core Duo with 2MB shared L2 Cache

17-inch TFT widescreen display with 1680x1050 resolution

667MHz frontside bus

160GB 5400rpm Serial ATA hard drive

Whatever the next-best Graphics Card is 256MB GDDR3 memory

My pricing for a cheaper 15" MacBook Pro may be wishful thinking, but with no talk of a 12-inch-ish MacBook Pro, the gap between MacBook/MacBook Pro has to be narrowed. Plus, there has to be room made for a 17" model to come in at the $2,499 price it does now. If AppleInsider is correct in predicting that "each MacBook will pack at least a 1.67Ghz Core Duo chip", I think this would be an ideal opportunity for Apple to offer a sub-$999 model MacBook with a 1.5Ghz Core Solo chip and a trimmed feature set.

Theoretically, the iMac models would also get processor increases or price cuts.
  • Reply 97 of 99
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    My predictions are that no matter what the eventual spec, somone here will take exception to something. That will then get Blown Out Of All Proportion, and repeated on other sites like Macrumors.com. Someone else will cry "wait for revision 2.0". Someone else will say they are never going to buy a Mac again, because Apple screwed them by not shipping an impossibly fantastic machine for an impossibly small price.

Everybody else will be happy enough, buy a new MacBook or not, and get on with their lives as before.

You heard it here first.
  • Reply 98 of 99
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gee4orce

My predictions are that no matter what the eventual spec, somone here will take exception to something. That will then get Blown Out Of All Proportion, and repeated on other sites like Macrumors.com. Someone else will cry "wait for revision 2.0". Someone else will say they are never going to buy a Mac again, because Apple screwed them by not shipping an impossibly fantastic machine for an impossibly small price.

Everybody else will be happy enough, buy a new MacBook or not, and get on with their lives as before.

You heard it here first.

• Reply 99 of 99
    I bet they wait till merom to release the 17 incher.