BitTorrent Client with Encryption

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Does anyone out there know of an OS X BitTorrent client that does encryption, I know azureus for windows has it implemented but I don't think the Mac version does.

Are there any others, My ISP is choking my connection and its a little annoying

Thanks

Denver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Of course the Mac version of Azureus does. It's pretty much the same features as the windows version.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    r3dx0rr3dx0r Posts: 201member
    the pc and mac version of azureus have the same feature set.

just open the preferences, select 'connection' -> 'transport encryption' and adjust the settings to whatever suits your needs.

edit: apart from azureus there are no other mac clients that support encryption.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Does the encryption have any effect on throughput at all? other things like heavier cpu usage?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    if your isp uses traffic shaping to minimize your bittorrent bandwidth, then yes, you should see a speed increase by enabling encryption. but even if your connection isn't shaped you should still enable it to help your peers get better upload/download speeds.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    How about changing the port(s) your torrent client uses? Something around 50,000 to 54,000 is A-OK and you should be set.

Other than Azureus, no other client offers encryption so far.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    yes, the default ports (6881-6889) may be blacklisted on the trackers you are connecting to. so follow genes advice and change the port to something above 50000.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    The way I understand it you ISP picks up the header information from the torrent and throttles it that way.

Changing the port shouldn't make any differnece. Thats why the encryption works - it prevents your ISP from getting this info.

This is the whole reason for encrytion to be introduced.

This is the way I understand it but I could be wrong.

Can anyone qualify this?

DK
  • Reply 8 of 15
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DenverKirrane

Can anyone qualify this?

It's usually hard to tell exactly how it works, since the ISPs who penalize their customers don't tell anyone how they are doing it.

Also, encrypted BitTorrent will not work for very long:

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?p=995

http://bramcohen.livejournal.com/29886.html
  • Reply 9 of 15
    danosaurdanosaur Posts: 258member
    So what is the best bit torrent client? What would you recommend, based on speed, reliability, etc.

I use acquisition, but i hate the nags and the limit of three downloads. It's rare that I can find a fast connection, but I'm not sure why. Sometimes even with 200 peers and 50 seeds, it runs at about 10 kb/s.

I also have an app called Bit Torrent, but it doesn't work well either.

Suggestions?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Azureus

Its very good for functionality - Any others I have used have been very unreliable (crashing/freezing etc) get it Here

Apparently there is one called Tomato Torrent but I have never used it and I think it may have been the old BitTorrent app.

Stick with Azurues, you can't go far wrong

DK
  • Reply 11 of 15
    why is my azureus so slow? not only wont it download but it brings my computer to an absolute unusable crawl. if i attempt to download torrents i have to stop using my computer, and i only get 5 kb/s. yet im always uploadin to people a lot faster. im on cable too

i updated to 2.4.0.2 and activated the encryption and still slow ......
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by TigerWoods99

why is my azureus so slow? not only wont it download but it brings my computer to an absolute unusable crawl. if i attempt to download torrents i have to stop using my computer, and i only get 5 kb/s. yet im always uploadin to people a lot faster. im on cable too

i updated to 2.4.0.2 and activated the encryption and still slow ......

are you using the latest version of java ? azureus has issues when you use anything pre 1.5.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    well i updated all my software on software update with all the latest java updates for 10.3.9. i went to the java site and 1.5 isnt for 10.3.9.......
  • Reply 14 of 15
    that seems to be the problem then. no 10.4.2 -> no java 1.5 -> no properly working azureus.

but you might want to try a different client or an older version of azureus if you need some of its features. transmission is a very promising new client you could give a try. it doesn't have many of of azureus's advanced features (including encryption) but it's coming along nicely.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    gene cleangene clean Posts: 3,481member
    If you're getting poor speeds, try changing your ports. Many ISPs block ports that they think (and know) Bittorrent uses.

They will probably find out if they wanted that you changed them, but most of them don't have the time to check.