Alternatives to .mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I don't want to hand over $99. That's the bottom line. I want to host my iWeb page(s) for cheap or free. I have a blog and a podcast. I don't need tons of space but enough, whatever that is. My podcast is on iTunes and I would like to keep it going. Currently, I am using the .mac trial. I don't have enough space for another podcast so I need a viable and cheap alternative that plays nice with iWeb. Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    $99 year = $8.25 month. You might have a hard time finding anything that'll work well with iWeb (which you can export your web to disk and upload somewhere else) but it won't be drag and drop or as easy. Is .27 cents a day ($8.25mo) worth your time and frustration trying to hock together another solution? That's the way I look at it, might not be your solution but it makes sense breaking it down for me.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but don't forget about .Mac syncing, e-mail, Backup software, and photocasting. No, .Mac isn't worth $99 to host an iWeb site, but there's a lot more to it than that. Take another look.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but don't forget about .Mac syncing, e-mail, Backup software, and photocasting. No, .Mac isn't worth $99 to host an iWeb site, but there's a lot more to it than that. Take another look.

Like ridiculously slow uploading time and causing your finder to basically crash out and put up the spinning beach ball for 3 minutes until it fixes itself.

Apple should be ashamed they are touting this crap... They make the hardware it runs on, they design the OS it runs under, the make the software that it uses to connect to their own servers.

So why is it when i upload through FTP by ways of some bootleg shareware onto servers that are most likely linux or windows that it is so much easier and faster than using the idisk???

I am still amazed they haven't done anything to improve or fix this very big flaw in thier product... I think I am going to sign up for a domain somewhere else and get the word out that I am switching my email account from .mac to something else and then cancel the .mac account in a year.

DO NOT BUY A .MAC ACCOUNT UNLESS YOU REALLY NEED ALL THOSE SERVICES FOR SYNCING OR YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FTP... if you are thinking about it, call apple up and ask them about the problems I have mentioned here and see what they say about them.

I am not the only one...

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=61954