HELP!??!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
ok heres my problem - Im making a movie with my friends - its a low budget thing and all - and my computer no longer reconizes the firewire camera?! someone please help

this is my set up

IMAC DV+ 450 with 384 of ram

Sony Digital Handycam

and Final Cut Pro

i have tried shutting down and starting over, reinstalling final cut pro, changing firewire cables, trying diffrent controller setttings for the camera in final cut pro - and it still wont reconize the camera

the computer won't even reconize that anything is connected to the firewire ports (under the decice manager)

whats up with this???

it has worked fine for about a year and a half now and I have never had a problem

thanks for you help guys

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    OS 9 or X?

If you're in 9, you can always do a reinstall of the system. that should fix any firewire extensions that have gone missing (etc). I'm not sure what you can do with X, i guess a reinstall couldn't hurt, i've never done a reinstall with X. I'm not sure if u will lose all of your accounts and files.

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: Cosmo ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    squashsquash Posts: 332member
    If it's in OS 9 you may have an extension conflict going on. On my external HD in 9 i had the mac extensions on and my firewire hd extensions that came with the HD turned on.....it wouldn'tt recognize my HD at all.

Once i turned off the non-apple extensions it worked fine. Look for other firewire extensions being active in your extension manager if your having the problem in OS 9
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Do you have another FireWire device (like a hard drive, iPod, or a friend's DV cam) that you could try connecting? This might help you diagnose whether the problem is on the Mac end of things or on your camera.

I seem to recall reading recent complaints somewhere that the FireWire connector on iPods was prone to breaking. Seems like this could easily happen to a camera as well--particularly after a year-and-a-half of use.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Moving to Genius Bar.

And yes, I've heard that the solder connecting the iPod's FW port to the board is depressingly brittle and prone to breakage.