Apple secures large-scale Maine laptop contract

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

As to computer literacy, I already know this statement will have backlash but I'm gonna say it anyway. If you are pushing for computer literacy skills for students, then the OSX platform is a bad choice. Bare (sic) with me as I say this. 90% of the worlds systems run on Windows, if for nothing else, teaching on a Windows based computer would be far more applicable in reusable skills later, whereas you are unlikely to encounter OSX in the workplace as often.

We are talking about junior high school here. By the time these students get to the workplace there might not even be such a thing as "Windows". Excel is Excel, Word is Word, PowerPoint is PowerPoint (and all debuted on the Mac, not Windows, BTW).

Unless by "reusable skills" you mean cleaning malware off of your system...
  • Reply 22 of 24
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

We are talking about junior high school here. By the time these students get to the workplace there might not even be such a thing as "Windows". Excel is Excel, Word is Word, PowerPoint is PowerPoint (and all debuted on the Mac, not Windows, BTW).

Excel and PowerPoint debuted on the Mac, but Word did not.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

If you are pushing for computer literacy skills for students, then the OSX platform is a bad choice. Bare with me as I say this. 90% of the worlds systems run on Windows, if for nothing else, teaching on a Windows based computer would be far more applicable in reusable skills later, whereas you are unlikely to encounter OSX in the workplace as often.

That's like saying, "If you learn to drive on a car you will not know how to drive a truck."

• Reply 24 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Secured Main contract, check this out!

Looks like the have secured every kids school in Ireland!

Every single primary schools, all kids aged 4 - 12 across the county!

http://www.apple.com/uk/education/profiles/fis/