Why am I hearing this in 2006?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I can't believe I overheard this just yesterday.

"...yeah, Apple's good for graphics, but it's not compatible with anything else..."

Gawd, it's 2006! Almost 10 years since the iMac and the "new" Apple. I would almost give the above statement credit back when Apple was making beige computers and was much more of a niche market. I mean, they did cater to the professional graphics crowd.

But I think this argument just gets spread and passed down, like urban legends that need to be debunked by MythBusters. It's such an easy defense to hide behind; "not compatible" scares off new computer buyers faster than the salesperson can say "extended warranty."

So I guess the bigger underlying question is what should Apple do about it? Think about this: within days of the 5G iPod's release, everyone seemed to know that iPods could play video now. Apple could perhaps use the conversion to Intel, or maybe the Windows Vista delay, to advertise compatibility. There are customers out there who are fed up with Microsoft, but don't know it yet.

I dunno, does any of this make sense? Anybody got some good ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Frankly there's not much difference between the two platforms at all anymore for anything professional since it's in the apps and not the OS. I still find organizing files to be ten times easier on the Mac though.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    jtblqjtblq Posts: 86member
    this always comes from someone who last used a Mac in 1996.

people are stupid.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you haven't used an apple computer try one!

You will never go back to wndows again! Just give one try!
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

If you haven't used an apple computer try one!

You will never go back to wndows again! Just give one try!

That post reminded me of the Zoom intro.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerously

"...yeah, Apple's good for graphics, but it's not compatible with anything else..."

Gawd, it's 2006! Almost 10 years since the iMac and the "new" Apple. I would almost give the above statement credit back when Apple was making beige computers and was much more of a niche market. I mean, they did cater to the professional graphics crowd.

But I think this argument just gets spread and passed down, like urban legends that need to be debunked by MythBusters. It's such an easy defense to hide behind; "not compatible" scares off new computer buyers faster than the salesperson can say "extended warranty."

So I guess the bigger underlying question is what should Apple do about it? Think about this: within days of the 5G iPod's release, everyone seemed to know that iPods could play video now. Apple could perhaps use the conversion to Intel, or maybe the Windows Vista delay, to advertise compatibility. There are customers out there who are fed up with Microsoft, but don't know it yet.

I dunno, does any of this make sense? Anybody got some good ideas?

Opinions are like assh*les. Everyone has one and most of them stink!

• Reply 6 of 33
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

"...yeah, Apple's good for graphics,

If I can get that explained to me before I die, I will die happier. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN? I've heard it for 20 years and I still don't know what point they are trying to make. It's not even true - the fastest GPUs usually are in PCs before Macs.

Quote:

but it's not compatible with anything else..."

Translation: OMFG U CAN'T PLAY C0UNT3R-STR!K3!!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Yeah, the only thing that Macs cant do as well as PC's, (in a general sense) is run high-processor-intensive games like Battlefield 2 or most 3D Simulation games. X-Plane is an excellent rebuke to this argument, but its an exception. Game developers develop for the market, which has a majority of PC's.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't think it is worth worrying about. I doubt you could change their minds if you did try to correct them. Mac defenders generally start looking ornery when they try to correct misconceptions.

A lot of those that hold those misconceptions probably would have little use for a Mac for what they do, especially if they play games.

There is also the basic fact that if an app supports one platform, it is an easy guess of what platform that is.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

If I can get that explained to me before I die, I will die happier. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN? I've heard it for 20 years and I still don't know what point they are trying to make. It's not even true - the fastest GPUs usually are in PCs before Macs.

I think you may be hung up on a different colloqial use. I am pretty sure they don't mean that Macs necessarily have faster video hardware, but rather, saying that Macs are better for media creation.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

That post reminded me of the Zoom intro.

I have no idea what that means! Huh ??
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

I have noidea what that means! Huh ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZOOM

Bad times.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Whenever someone says that, I reply "is it that it's not compatible with anything else or is it that Windows isn't compatible with Macs?"
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Whenever someone says that, I reply "is it that it's not compatible with anything else or is it that Windows isn't compatible with Macs?"

It's not even about that, though. That statement just doesn't mean anything!!! What's not compatible?! The documents? The apps? The networking? The peripherals? WHAT?!

Why do I get so riled up over this?

• Reply 14 of 33
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Gee, I usually substitute "apple" with "windows" and "graphics" with "games" when people ask for my opinion.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZOOM

Bad times.

That show never made it to Ireland ya knob!
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Quote:

That show never made it to Ireland ya knob!

lucky you.

While things may not have been entirely compatible pre-OSX, it's mostly bs now unless you happen to be using something entirely off the main road.

I use Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc. Apache, PHP and MySQL, a basic PHP/HTML/CSS editor, Photoshop and the occasional Adobe Premiere. All those applications are either available for, or have acceptable substitutes on OSX. My only peripherals are standard: flash drives, iPod, digital camera and a video camera, wacom tablet and keyboard and mouse (ironically a MS mouse), and everything works just fine.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Should Apple re-open their Switch campaign? I mean, it was terrific at the time, but they could change directions and not miss a beat with it now. Take the old ads, for example: what conclusions would people draw from them? "Okay, so they don't crash... they're still not compatible." Maybe make switcher ads that say something like...

"I was fed up with all the pop-ups, adware, security holes, and of course crashes. So I got a Mac. All my files work, my digital camera and my printer works, and I can still access my office network from home. I've never looked back!"

Ideas?
  • Reply 18 of 33
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    I can top that.

I was talking to one of the electronics sales people at Costco about the macs they were selling, just general stuff. He admitted that he did not really know anything about Macs. He said he was afraid to actually buy one because he didn't know if they were any good for what he liked to do with computers. I asked if he played a lot of high-end games. He said he didn't play games at all. I asked him what he did that he thought a Mac couldn't do. His answer, Photoshop CS.

I'm not making this up.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    IGNORANT STATEMENTS MADE TO MAC USERS

"Bill Gates owns 49% of Apple."

"MAC" (and variation "MAC'S")

"That looks just like Windows."

"MACs are only good for graphics."

"I heard Apple is going out of business."

"Apple went out of business and was bought by Bill Gates."

add your own!!
  • Reply 20 of 33
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    You forgot the people that call the company "Mac". As in, "Mac should have done this or that".